What gripper set width is best?

AdriaanRobert96

Alright so now that I got your attention with that title..

I know there’s not a single best set width, doing all of them surely benefits most of us and with that said..

What gripper set would not help your overall gripper strength?

I am pretty sure wider would obviously cover more range of motion, deep sets are good for that end strength but how deep of a set is not helping you?

I’ve heard many big gripper closer say that too deep of a set won’t benefit as good.

I personally never go deeper than 20mm, my ranges are between CCS and 20mm.

What’s ya’ll take on this?

(note: I am talking about doing a majority of your work with that set, obviously is it good to press your progression within different ranges).

• Like 1

I think that's very dependent on the goal of why you're training with grippers, but what I've noticed is that some of the strongest at grippers use parallel/MMS to build raw strength and then they transition that into wider sets. So I would have to say that ~20mm is probably the "best", but it's also my favorite set so maybe I'm biased.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I think that's very dependent on the goal of why you're training with grippers, but what I've noticed is that some of the strongest at grippers use parallel/MMS to build raw strength and then they transition that into wider sets. So I would have to say that ~20mm is probably the "best", but it's also my favorite set so maybe I'm biased.

Exactly what I was thinking altho.. is there “too deep of a set” where’s there no returns?

13 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Exactly what I was thinking altho.. is there “too deep of a set” where’s there no returns?

No.

All sets matter. If you're not strong enough you cant hold the gripper shut.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Depends what the goal is, if you just wanna close the heaviest gripper possible, then there's no set too deep 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

No.

All sets matter. If you're not strong enough you cant hold the gripper shut.

Hmm, well I won’t disagree because I think the same.. was very curious since one of the strongest closers seem to think otherwise..

I guess it’s down to what works for some won’t work for others :)

2 hours ago, EmilBB said:

Depends what the goal is, if you just wanna close the heaviest gripper possible, then there's no set too deep 😁

True, ain’t nobody got time for that 250RGC CCS😂

10 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hmm, well I won’t disagree because I think the same.. was very curious since one of the strongest closers seem to think otherwise..

I guess it’s down to what works for some won’t work for others :)

If you want to train that way it's completely up to you. It all depends on what goals you have with your training.

Saying it wont have any carryover isn't true. It doesn't matter what set you're using all sets will have carryover to others, it's just different numbers we're talking about.

It goes without saying that you need to train the set you want to be the best at.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 4