Read this if you’re closing the #3.5 (advice)

AdriaanRobert96

So as you all know I’ve been at the #3.5 for little while, things went well until I went on a fatloss period of 16 weeks.

Took me 4+ months to start getting back to my initial strength.

During these 4+ months I could barely move the #3.5, not even the #3 on some days.

What I’d like to see from you #3.5 closers, how does your warmups look when building up for the #3.5?

My previous warmups looked like this (it worked until after my fatloss):

#1 x 6

#2 x 3

#2.5 x 3

Heavier #2.5 x 3

#3 x 3

#3.5 x 4 sets

After my cut this doesn’t work, I am all out of strength if I do this.

My reasoning was to warm up properly to avoid injuries.

Today I tried something different and it seem to have worked (or maybe I am biased) and my strength comes back just now.

#1 x 10

#2 x 1

#2.5 x 1

#3 x 1

#3.5 closes.

Could it have been that my warmups no longer work and drains my strength with this new weight?

Also share your warmups down below if you wish to give perspective :) Thanks!

• Like 2

I like (and basically do) the second warmup. But then again, I'm more of a singles guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

I like (and basically do) the second warmup. But then again, I'm more of a singles guy.

I guess we’re two then😅Do what works, then move on I guess.. so less warmups it is, atleast for a while.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

less volume = more strength

There we go😅

It’s weird how something worked for so long and then all of a sudden it comes to a stop🥲

21 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So as you all know I’ve been at the #3.5 for little while, things went well until I went on a fatloss period of 16 weeks.

Took me 4+ months to start getting back to my initial strength.

During these 4+ months I could barely move the #3.5, not even the #3 on some days.

What I’d like to see from you #3.5 closers, how does your warmups look when building up for the #3.5?

My previous warmups looked like this (it worked until after my fatloss):

#1 x 6

#2 x 3

#2.5 x 3

Heavier #2.5 x 3

#3 x 3

#3.5 x 4 sets

After my cut this doesn’t work, I am all out of strength if I do this.

My reasoning was to warm up properly to avoid injuries.

Today I tried something different and it seem to have worked (or maybe I am biased) and my strength comes back just now.

#1 x 10

#2 x 1

#2.5 x 1

#3 x 1

#3.5 closes.

Could it have been that my warmups no longer work and drains my strength with this new weight?

Also share your warmups down below if you wish to give perspective :) Thanks!

My thought is that your 1 rep max is lower now after the weight loss, so the percentages of your warm upsets is higher. Your no longer just warming up but crossing into working sets that are fatiguing you and taking away strength. The #3x3 set is too hard to be a warm up. If you proportionally lowered the percentages it would likely work just as it did before. However it's good to always experiment and see if the new strategy might work better for you. 

• Like 8

I am very much of the opinion that volume dictates how far high intensity low volume blocks take you before you stall out again, I've noticed extreme jumps in rgc when switching from one block to the other, Usually building reps with a gripper like a 3.5 will put you within a ballpark of a higher goal gripper

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl Myerscough said:

My thought is that your 1 rep max is lower now after the weight loss, so the percentages of your warm upsets is higher. Your no longer just warming up but crossing into working sets that are fatiguing you and taking away strength. The #3x3 set is too hard to be a warm up. If you proportionally lowered the percentages it would likely work just as it did before. However it's good to always experiment and see if the new strategy might work better for you. 

Yeah so I believe you’re on point with this because on yesterdays training I lowered all my reps from 3 to 1 rep and I managed to get 2 closes on my #3.5 with a 30mm block.

It definitely is my 1 rep max being lower as you said.

Thanks Carl.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I am very much of the opinion that volume dictates how far high intensity low volume blocks take you before you stall out again, I've noticed extreme jumps in rgc when switching from one block to the other, Usually building reps with a gripper like a 3.5 will put you within a ballpark of a higher goal gripper

Well I am not gonna disagree on that because that’s what I was doing until my cut but after that I had no more strength in me to do reps with my #3🥲

Atleast I have something to go on now, lower warmup reps😅

• Like 1