When are you ready for a higher RGC Gripper?

AdriaanRobert96

So obviously this will vary from person to person but I thought with all of your knowledge combined this can come in handy for new people and experienced alike.

Some people go by reps, some go by feel but the most common way I’ve seen is when you hit around 6-7 reps on a gripper, you’re ready to move in to the next.

Personally I go by “when I own the gripper” that’s when I move on.

Basically when I manhandle it training days on end, I know for sure that I am ready.

Leave your opinions and thoughts down below :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So obviously this will vary from person to person but I thought with all of your knowledge combined this can come in handy for new people and experienced alike.

Some people go by reps, some go by feel but the most common way I’ve seen is when you hit around 6-7 reps on a gripper, you’re ready to move in to the next.

Personally I go by “when I own the gripper” that’s when I move on.

Basically when I manhandle it training days on end, I know for sure that I am ready.

Leave your opinions and thoughts down below :)

% of max is a good cue, if your previous working set was 85% and now its 80% youve gotten stronger and can work in a new 75-85 range

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

On days that end in Y

Hmm, not following here😅..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ivan Cuk said:

% of max is a good cue, if your previous working set was 85% and now its 80% youve gotten stronger and can work in a new 75-85 range

Percentage wise it’s truly great, like regular training I assume :)

• Like 1

When I trained grippers, I moved up as soon as I got a clear mms close on it. What I mean is...I immediately rewarded myself with a new goal gripper (approx. 5lb increase) for next workout. Im not claiming it was the panacea, but it worked for me.

• Like 3

I follow Ivan's school of thinking and use percentages of 1RM to indicate when i'm good to move up, If you're closing a 3.5 rated at 176, On one day its feeling like 85% of 1rm and then in a future training session its 80% or 75% you've definitely gotten stronger and are probably in a better position to move up a 5 rgc increment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hmm, not following here😅..

It can be good to still test how far off you are with a gripper you can't fully close yet to gauge progress, it also helps build confidence to know how hard it was at one point vs how much easier it will eventually feel. And then eventually you close it so that's when moving up would be

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try not to have a specific day but go off of how im feeling. Im no where near elite like a lot of the guys on here but I’ve managed to work my way up from a guide to almost #2.5. If I’m having a great gripper day I go for it. Also, I stopped looking at the bottom of the gripper and go by RGC; it has a psychological benefit in that I dont know which gripper I am closing. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

It can be good to still test how far off you are with a gripper you can't fully close yet to gauge progress, it also helps build confidence to know how hard it was at one point vs how much easier it will eventually feel. And then eventually you close it so that's when moving up would be

good advice here

Even tho you are far from closing the next gripper it is good to know where you stand at a point in time. Also, programming a test close for the next gripper is key to know if you are progressing or not with your training and whether you have to change it or double down on it.

Personally I find that a test day every 3-4 weeks is good to not interfere with recovery.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, anwnate said:

When I trained grippers, I moved up as soon as I got a clear mms close on it. What I mean is...I immediately rewarded myself with a new goal gripper (approx. 5lb increase) for next workout. Im not claiming it was the panacea, but it worked for me.

Love the ”reward” system😂 I am a little bit about that myself!

Altho it’s a pain if you have no small increment grippers😅

11 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I follow Ivan's school of thinking and use percentages of 1RM to indicate when i'm good to move up, If you're closing a 3.5 rated at 176, On one day its feeling like 85% of 1rm and then in a future training session its 80% or 75% you've definitely gotten stronger and are probably in a better position to move up a 5 rgc increment 

I like this aswell altho the problem for me is I live in Sweden and grippers cost around 45bucks🥲

Also I need to rate them aswell, but it surely works😄

11 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Not gonna lie, love this advice👍🏼

9 hours ago, Harrison said:

I try not to have a specific day but go off of how im feeling. Im no where near elite like a lot of the guys on here but I’ve managed to work my way up from a guide to almost #2.5. If I’m having a great gripper day I go for it. Also, I stopped looking at the bottom of the gripper and go by RGC; it has a psychological benefit in that I dont know which gripper I am closing. lol

Fun way of training indeed😅also going from Guide to #2.5 is very impressive!

3 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

good advice here

Even tho you are far from closing the next gripper it is good to know where you stand at a point in time. Also, programming a test close for the next gripper is key to know if you are progressing or not with your training and whether you have to change it or double down on it.

Personally I find that a test day every 3-4 weeks is good to not interfere with recovery.

Love that last advice ngl, I never really thought of this.. I’ll give it a go from now on.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I like this aswell altho the problem for me is I live in Sweden and grippers cost around 45bucks🥲

Also I need to rate them aswell, but it surely works😄

You're preaching to the choir on that one brother, In australia unrated captains of crush from retailers cost $65, Rated grippers vary but its def expensive

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

You're preaching to the choir on that one brother, In australia unrated captains of crush from retailers cost $65, Rated grippers vary but its def expensive

I guess, do what you can with what you have😂