The Future of the MashMonster Certification

Bill Piche

I think a 20mm block set cert could be the cleanest solution here. No risks of having the set be to narrow etc. Different set widths are also a really cool possibility to explore, but this would make the cert explode in terms of how many options there would be. Generally, it is a good thing, but kind of takes away value from the cert. What I mean by this could be explained with this simple example.

You closed a #3 from a CCS - you are "CoC#3 certified" by IM rules.

You closed a GHP7x1 from a 38mm set - you are "GHP7" certified by GHP rules.

You closed the MM3 from an MMS - you are "Mash Monster 3" certified by MM rules.

You closed 145 from TNS right, 150 CCS right, 155 38mm right, 165 20mm right, 175 DS right, 135 TNS left, 140 CCS left, 150 38mm left, 155 20mm left, 160 DS left. We run into some trouble :D Here, using @Vinnie's abbreviatures for the certs (which, by the way, make super perfect sense), we would still end with the following grip profile:

Grip McGripster

Interests: Grippers

145-R-TNS, 150-R-CCS, 155-R-38mm, 165-R-20mm, 175-R-DS, 135-L-TNS, 140-L-CCS, 150-L-38mm, 155-L-20mm, 160-L-DS. Also.. CoC#3 and GHP7 ๐Ÿ˜†

The cert opportunities would be vast of course, but I think simple might be the cleaner solution here. 20mm Blockset certs on the different, rated Standard Grippers from Iron and up might be cool. Call it the "Standard Certification" - SGC. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Iron,Cobalt,Nickel(?),Titanium,Tungsten,Chromium(?) in 5lbs RGC increments from 130 to 240. All from the same set width, all from the same manufacturer, all rated exactly the same. I would place such a cert at the very top of all gripper certs. Someone who certified the 190 Tungsten would simply be "SC W-190" certified or something of that style. Sounds a little bit like a technical name for some motor oil, might need to think this over a bit :D

Plus, with the MM certs gone, there are basically no more big certs below 38mm which is sad

Please share your opinions on this!

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alex K said:

I think a 20mm block set cert could be the cleanest solution here. No risks of having the set be to narrow etc. Different set widths are also a really cool possibility to explore, but this would make the cert explode in terms of how many options there would be. Generally, it is a good thing, but kind of takes away value from the cert. What I mean by this could be explained with this simple example.

You closed a #3 from a CCS - you are "CoC#3 certified" by IM rules.

You closed a GHP7x1 from a 38mm set - you are "GHP7" certified by GHP rules.

You closed the MM3 from an MMS - you are "Mash Monster 3" certified by MM rules.

You closed 145 from TNS right, 150 CCS right, 155 38mm right, 165 20mm right, 175 DS right, 135 TNS left, 140 CCS left, 150 38mm left, 155 20mm left, 160 DS left. We run into some trouble :D Here, using @Vinnie's abbreviatures for the certs (which, by the way, make super perfect sense), we would still end with the following grip profile:

Grip McGripster

Interests: Grippers

145-R-TNS, 150-R-CCS, 155-R-38mm, 165-R-20mm, 175-R-DS, 135-L-TNS, 140-L-CCS, 150-L-38mm, 155-L-20mm, 160-L-DS. Also.. CoC#3 and GHP7 ๐Ÿ˜†

The cert opportunities would be vast of course, but I think simple might be the cleaner solution here. 20mm Blockset certs on the different, rated Standard Grippers from Iron and up might be cool. Call it the "Standard Certification" - SGC. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Iron,Cobalt,Nickel(?),Titanium,Tungsten,Chromium(?) in 5lbs RGC increments from 130 to 240. All from the same set width, all from the same manufacturer, all rated exactly the same. I would place such a cert at the very top of all gripper certs. Someone who certified the 190 Tungsten would simply be "SC W-190" certified or something of that style. Sounds a little bit like a technical name for some motor oil, might need to think this over a bit :D

Plus, with the MM certs gone, there are basically no more big certs below 38mm which is sad

Please share your opinions on this!

Also makes sense.ย  There could be a 20mm cert, and people can just keep track on their own what else they do.ย  I have no really strong preference other than that I am interested in something to try for, other than MM3 that I thought was a pipe dream.ย  This might offer something more incremental.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Also makes sense.ย  There could be a 20mm cert, and people can just keep track on their own what else they do.ย  I have no really strong preference other than that I am interested in something to try for, other than MM3 that I thought was a pipe dream.ย  This might offer something more incremental.

Same here... I was really in the loop for the MM3, focusing my training around it. The MM certs will forever be remembered as one hell of a historical cert, but it is time to move forward. Also, as you put it quite well, the other set widths could be personal PRs too, which makes perfect sense. Not all things are for a cert :)

• Like 1

I hope it stays at parallel or 20mm block, as we already have wider certs. If multiple sets would be allowed then I think TNS and parallel/20mm block would be cool, that's two opposite ends of the spectrum of closing a gripper.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I hope it stays at parallel or 20mm block, as we already have wider certs. If multiple sets would be allowed then I think TNS and parallel/20mm block would be cool, that's two opposite ends of the spectrum of closing a gripper.

I am definitely in favor of a 20mm option, since there are the GHPย  and IM certs for wider.

I think TNS is an awesome option too, since there is no (big) cert for that yet and it is very easy to judge!

• Like 6

Itโ€™s sad to see this go especially since I just got onto the list but it is exciting to see the potential for where thisll go. I gotta say of all the ideas thrown out I like the idea of keeping the mash monster set or switching it up to the 20mm block set. With IronMind and GHP already having the wider sets Iโ€™d prefer to keep it all about raw power without the prerequisite for being blessed with big hands ๐Ÿ˜‚ I also really like the idea of switching it to the highest ratings of the standard grippers as a way of proving mastery of each element.

• Like 7

Is there going to be an audition or entry-level process?

MM0 was basically in place to teach people the rules and weed out who was or wasn't ready to be sent MM1.

Similarly, should someone have to prove they are capable of following the rules and strong enough before starting the CPL?

Maybe platinum or iron could be the entry level, before you get sent a CPL iron

Otherwise you will be sending grippers out all over the place and have a gigantic waiting list if there is no filtering process to determine who is actually qualified to be attempting these certs. This may also help to reduce lost grippers by only sending them to those that have been screened as capable of performing the feat.

This would at least mimick the old MM....but that also assumes you have to start at the lowest level which is not the case anymore

So if some random new person who only closes a coc 1 requests to cert on a Tungsten, what happens in that case?

Should someone asking to start at a higher level have to audition with that level gripper too? The only reason maybe not is I wouldn't wanna deter someone like Carl from not attempting by not already owning a Tungsten, and so on.

I think some measure should be taken to at least qualify who can attempt, just like MM...you had to prove yourself to even request an MM1

This also helps weed out who is and isn't ready to film a cert worthy video. The angles and staying in frame etc take practice, and this would save you time of red lighting a million videos where the cert gripper goes out of frame, close isn't visible etcย 

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Is there going to be an audition or entry-level process?

MM0 was basically in place to teach people the rules and weed out who was or wasn't ready to be sent MM1.

Similarly, should someone have to prove they are capable of following the rules and strong enough before starting the CPL?

Maybe platinum or iron could be the entry level, before you get sent a CPL iron

Iโ€™ll clarify a couple more things. As I mentioned above I have a pretty good idea of how I want to organize a new cert, but Iโ€™m loving reading all these ideas and and seeing what people prefer.ย 

When it comes to details such as โ€œwill there be an entryโ€ itโ€™s just not time for that yet. It will be 2024 before I get anything in place. There is a lot of work to do, not just regarding a new cert. It will be a fun ride.ย 

I think CPL means Cannon PowerList which was an idea I had for a CPW cert. Thatโ€™s probably headed to the the back burner now. The GripBoard cert will still be called Mash Monster. :)ย 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I think CPL means Cannon PowerList which was an idea I had for a CPW cert. Thatโ€™s probably headed to the the back burner now.

Phew.ย  Because CPL is "Criminal Procedure Law" in every legal brief I write.ย  I use the CPL at work every single day.ย  It's bad enough that once in a while at work -- maybe weekly but not daily -- I have to deal with COCs (certificates of compliance)!

• Haha 13

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The GripBoard cert will still be called Mash Monster. :)ย 

Be cool if it's called "Mash Monster Elite", but I'm cool with the old name.

• Like 2

20mm block set gets my vote for the new MashMonster cert (now that we know the cert will still be called MashMonster, should this be abbreviated or labeled differently than just MM1-MM10, to differentiate from the old cert? i.e. MM170 - for the rgc, or NMM-1 (New MashMonster) - just thoughts), but I also think 30mm is a unique set width.

The original MashMonster cert and name lends itself well to setting a gnarly, heavy gripper to parallel, and mashing the handles together with all your might. I think keeping that feel intact with a 20mm block would be the best option, especially since the IM and GHP certs focus on closing from a wide setting position already. 20mm would round out the remaining set depth for the 3 main gripper certifications, covering all the bases, while TNS and DS can be reserved for extreme personal feats and showmanship, rather than certifications.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Phew.ย  Because CPL is "Criminal Procedure Law" in every legal brief I write.ย  I use the CPL at work every single day.ย  It's bad enough that once in a while at work -- maybe weekly but not daily -- I have to deal with COCs (certificates of compliance)!

This is hilarious because I spent 15 years in residential mortgage and know CPL as the โ€œclosing protection letter.โ€ Thatโ€™s all I can think of when I see CPL.ย :shutup:

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:31 PM, Cannon said:

Hey guys! I really appreciate all the comments and feedback. Feel free to keep discussing what you would like to see. Keep it coming!ย ย 

To clarify a couple things:

1) The old Mash Monster cert is officially closed. As Bill said, the lists are frozen in time and that certification is permanently retired and the original grippers will never be used again. However, the Mash Monster name and legacy will live on as a freshened up certification in some form with different grippers and thoughtful consideration for the spirit of the certification we love.ย ย 

2) Bill and I had a great deal of discussion and deliberation over this. There were a lot of factors to consider which included everything from the lifespan of aging equipment to the fact that the Mash Monster grippers are an incredibly valuable asset when it comes to the business side of things. I do have a pretty clear picture for the type of Mash Monster certification I would like to offer. It will take some time to finalize and build. We can all anticipate a grand reopening, hopefully in 2024.ย 

I love seeing the ideas here. The excitement and possibilities are on full display. Mourn the endings, dream the dreams and wish the wishes. Let's hear it all!ย  ย  ย  ย 

Dang, missed my chance to get on the ladder. What a bummer.ย 

5 hours ago, Jared P said:

20mm block set gets my vote for the new MashMonster cert (now that we know the cert will still be called MashMonster, should this be abbreviated or labeled differently than just MM1-MM10, to differentiate from the old cert? i.e. MM170 - for the rgc, or NMM-1 (New MashMonster) - just thoughts), but I also think 30mm is a unique set width.

The original MashMonster cert and name lends itself well to setting a gnarly, heavy gripper to parallel, and mashing the handles together with all your might. I think keeping that feel intact with a 20mm block would be the best option, especially since the IM and GHP certs focus on closing from a wide setting position already. 20mm would round out the remaining set depth for the 3 main gripper certifications, covering all the bases, while TNS and DS can be reserved for extreme personal feats and showmanship, rather than certifications.

+1

different set depths will result in more competition, also a 20mm cert will almost always result in higher RGC closes for a bit of an ego boost haha

• Like 2

With any luck if the funding comes through it will be the Pottery Barn Mash Monster Extravaganzaย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 10/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, dubyagrip said:

If the RGC is going to be disclosed, then the cert grippers at each level should be ones with a rating at the top end or the highest rated to prove absolute mastery.ย  I guess this should be the case even if it isn't disclosed.

Example: The cert Tungsten should be a 200.ย  There have likely only been a couple of these come out of production, and knowing @Cannonย ... he has one of them. ๐Ÿ˜€

I hope the mash monster set is still used going forward.ย  Cards and blocks are cool, but the MMS adds a great psychological/mental element to the attempt.ย  It also prevents people complaining about being limited by their hand size.

I would love to see some solid even numbers as a baseline. Seeing cert grippers at 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200 for example would be pretty cool.

• Like 8

If using a block, having it sent with the gripper that you can keep is a good idea could be colour coded for levels. As for distance some sort of middle ground unique to the ladder would keep it interesting. Possibly even a laser cut shape.

If they do get standardized with an RGC rating.ย  A new batch could be produced each year (as wear has been mentioned on the old MM grippers) with options to raffle the previous years off with funds helping to keep both the Monster Mash and the board going.

Edited by Busa
Typo
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

@Cannon Any updates you are able to share with us of when the new Mash Monster certification might roll out, or any other details about it?

If it's too soon, that's fine. Waiting with excitement.

• Like 2

Sad to see the OG Mash Monster cert go, but Iโ€™m excited for the new direction itโ€™s headed! Hopefully Iโ€™ll be ready to give it a go once everything gets off the ground.ย 

• Like 3