The Inch Replica Dumbbell - Still a Respected Lift?

Strength Oldschool

Would it still be considered impressive today to lift an Inch Replica Dumbbell weighing 170+ lbs? By lift I mean to simply stand up with it.

Howdy folks, first time poster 💪

I don't have the best genetics for grip strength but I do like the challenge. Currently my best Dumbbell Lift using 2.5" Fat Grips is 45kg (99 lbs) ( Don't laugh). I broke 50kg (110 lbs) off the ground. I figure with some consistent focus on Grip, Wrist and Forearm Training I could possibly build a lot more strength in the coming months.

If I could build up to atleast 60kg+ (132+ lbs) then I'd treat myself by buying an Inch Replica Dumbbell! 😀

That's the plan! However if lifting an Inch Replica these days is common then I may change my mind.

Any comments are greatly appreciated 👍

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Strength Oldschool said:

Would it still be considered impressive today to lift an Inch Replica Dumbbell weighing 170+ lbs? By lift I mean to simply stand up with it.

Howdy folks, first time poster 💪

I don't have the best genetics for grip strength but I do like the challenge. Currently my best Dumbbell Lift using 2.5" Fat Grips is 45kg (99 lbs) ( Don't laugh). I broke 50kg (110 lbs) off the ground. I figure with some consistent focus on Grip, Wrist and Forearm Training I could possibly build a lot more strength in the coming months.

If I could build up to atleast 60kg+ (132+ lbs) then I'd treat myself by buying an Inch Replica Dumbbell! 😀

That's the plan! However if lifting an Inch Replica these days is common then I may change my mind.

Any comments are greatly appreciated 👍

Yes. Lifting the Inch is a respectable lift.

• Like 6

For sure. It was one feat I just didn't get done.  Mainly for me I could see it would take a LOT to get it done training wise.  It just wasn't enough of a thing because a lot of people cannot even try to do it due to the lack of availability of the dumbbell, unlike grippers for example.

• Like 5

I may be in Bill's camp on this - it seems like a feat that may or may not ever be possible for me, and it would take a lot of focused training that I may not be interested enough to undertake.  I certainly consider it a benchmark, significant achievement in line with things like a COC 3 cert or crushed to dust.

For those who do master the Inch lift, some twists to pose additional challenge that I've seen are:

(1) both hands at the same time (but you need TWO Inches for that lol);

(2) farmer's walk

(3) clean

(4) clean and press

(5) Inch one hand, blob or anvil lift in other

(6) Lift Inch with deck of cards on it, and pick up deck off lifted Inch and tear in half in mouth while holding Inch and then put Inch down under control (probably only @temmmeeee has ever done this but how would I not mention it here lol)

(7) There are harder bells for the truly elite, if Inch isn't enough.

But yes, I would consider the Inch a significant feat, beyond most, and worth going for if it is attainable at a cost you wish to bear.

• Like 2

Yes.

• Like 3

I think its the standard.... You need strong grip, thumbs and wrists and your body because its still a relatively heavy weight. 

I'm training for it. I own a regular inch and a 135lbs  baby inch.....Its my main goal and what the majority of my training is focused on.  It hasn't been easy and progress has been slow at times.. I've found that as important as strength is, there is a lot of technique involved in lifting the inch. Unless you are a freak of nature. The more refined your technique is, the more consistent and faster progress will be.

I say go for it. Why not? Whats stopping you? And who cares if its common... Its your goals you should be training towards not someone else's. 

You are already off to a great start.

• Like 3

I have lifting the Inch on my bucket list.

Currently I only have the 116.6lb dumbbell I got from Heavy Hands but I love it.

At some point I may need to take a road trip up to Rhode Island for an Inch replica.

From my perspective it's an interesting bit of grip history and still a feat that the average person isn't just going to walk up and do on a whim.

Plus it doesn't hurt that I'm seeing some gains in my rolling handle lifts right now so there may be some carryover.

• Like 2

I feel like Dwight in my perception of the Inch. The way he is the Assistant [to the] Branch Manager. 

I think the Inch is still a world class feat. For myself, I think I will for sure lift the [Baby] Inch some day. I think lifting the [Baby] Inch is totally possible for a 5'10 and 160 lbs grip nerd. Some day I fully believe I will see my name on a [Baby] Inch list.   

• Like 3

"IF" you have big hands and a strong body (think Strongman type) it's a really good but not all that unusual feat of grip strength.  With average hand size and body it's one heck of a lift - with smaller hands and say 170# body it's fricking outstanding.

When I think of what's an example of outstanding grip I go back to the old "Elite" standards for Gripper - Euro Pinch and 2" Axle Dead Lift Total.  The numbers should be on the board somewhere - I think there was even a bodyweight class set of numbers?

• Like 1