The Future of the GripBoard

Bill Piche

Wow.  Thank you for all you have done, and also for such a wise choice as your successor!

• Like 5

Thanks Bill, you've done a great job in building this community.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

The time has come for me to step down from being the owner of the GripBoard.  In February, it will be 23 years running the forum.  No, nothing is wrong with me health-wise. I just feel it’s just time to move on and free up some time in my life given I am now 60 years old. The GripBoard has always been a "worry" whenever I might be out of pocket with having to constantly monitor it especially if the server is up and running, the software is up to date, and of course there are no major issues between members in discussion. 😊  To remove the server and software burden, we will be moving the forum to a cloud-based solution offered by the software company that develops the forum software. This will basically eliminate a ton of backend work and remove a ton of variables in the forum operation that could go south (software, server, database server, etc.).  They will handle all of that by providing the cloud service.  

I would also like to announce the passing of the torch and future ownership of The Gripboard to Matt Cannon.  Matt has been a member here for 17 years and a moderator for a long time as well. Matt also has the core values that I align with from a leadership perspective.  I am super happy he is willing to take this on as I leave as the main leader and owner of the forum.  Matt is going to bring a new energy to this to promote grip and the grip community that I am excited about that I just didn't have time to even attempt.  There are a ton of forum features that can be used to better promote the board and grip as a community.  And, some new ones with the cloud-based solution.  I will still be around as a consultant for the smooth transfer of the operation of the forum for Matt and remain a moderator to some degree going forward.

We will be moving to the cloud very soon.  Maybe as early as next week.  It will look exactly the same. Thank you to all the members who have supported this forum over the years.

During the move, the forum will show a message that it is offline and the move is in process.  When this message disappears, The GripBoard will look exactly the same to the members.  It will appear that nothing has changed.  

I would like to give a special thanks to our current and past sponsors for supporting the board.  Without them, the great grip community we have today would not have been possible.  Thanks, everyone for supporting the forum in the past and into the future!  

Bill

Bill, 

Sir thanks for all you've done. KTA was one of the craziest but results inducing programs I've ever done :mosher  This was news to me today, did not see this coming.  Wish you well and thanks for developing a great grip board.  This forum rocks and really moved the sport forward in ways I bet you didn't even imagine :bow

Congrats to Matt Cannon as well

Edited by Forever
  • Like 6

Thank you, Bill, for all that you have done and continue to do. 

Couldn't think of a better person to take over than Matt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the forum & all the programs you've written for the Grip community. The forum was a lifesaver, for me, during COVID. 

• Like 3

Thank you Bill, for the decades of hard work to make the forum possible and carry the sport to where it is today.

The forum will be in good hands.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

The time has come for me to step down from being the owner of the GripBoard.  In February, it will be 23 years running the forum.  No, nothing is wrong with me health-wise. I just feel it’s just time to move on and free up some time in my life given I am now 60 years old. The GripBoard has always been a "worry" whenever I might be out of pocket with having to constantly monitor it especially if the server is up and running, the software is up to date, and of course there are no major issues between members in discussion. 😊  To remove the server and software burden, we will be moving the forum to a cloud-based solution offered by the software company that develops the forum software. This will basically eliminate a ton of backend work and remove a ton of variables in the forum operation that could go south (software, server, database server, etc.).  They will handle all of that by providing the cloud service.  

I would also like to announce the passing of the torch and future ownership of The Gripboard to Matt Cannon.  Matt has been a member here for 17 years and a moderator for a long time as well. Matt also has the core values that I align with from a leadership perspective.  I am super happy he is willing to take this on as I leave as the main leader and owner of the forum.  Matt is going to bring a new energy to this to promote grip and the grip community that I am excited about that I just didn't have time to even attempt.  There are a ton of forum features that can be used to better promote the board and grip as a community.  And, some new ones with the cloud-based solution.  I will still be around as a consultant for the smooth transfer of the operation of the forum for Matt and remain a moderator to some degree going forward.

We will be moving to the cloud very soon.  Maybe as early as next week.  It will look exactly the same. Thank you to all the members who have supported this forum over the years.

During the move, the forum will show a message that it is offline and the move is in process.  When this message disappears, The GripBoard will look exactly the same to the members.  It will appear that nothing has changed.  

I would like to give a special thanks to our current and past sponsors for supporting the board.  Without them, the great grip community we have today would not have been possible.  Thanks, everyone for supporting the forum in the past and into the future!  

Bill

Thank you all the hard work and for all the behind the scene stuff no body sees. The grip sport itself is one thing, but without this site there wouldn't be this great community im proud to be a part of it. 

@Cannon congrats. There is no one better or more worthy of to take the reins. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Bill for providing us all an amazing communication platform, and fostering the best forum I have been a part of. I would not be as involved in this hobby/sport in the same way without this awesome community. Very grateful!  

Welcome Matt!  We’re in good hands!

• Like 3

Thank you so much , this is the forum is the best . It’s like one big family . Good luck in what ever your next adventure is.

• Like 2

Thanks for your work Bill! Like everyone else says, Matt is definitely the right person to take over for you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jared P said:

Thank you Bill, for the decades of hard work to make the forum possible and carry the sport to where it is today.

The forum will be in good hands.

It will be. @Cannon Matt and I have worked like PB&J on the Mashmonster certs for example for a long time. What's key for me to turn over the reins to him is Matt's core values and his passion for grip.  It's going to be exciting for members and he will give this forum and grip the attention it really deserves I just wasn't able to bring it to the next level. :) 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Bill

How time flies! Thanks a lot for offering us this board and wish you success for whatever you choose to do. 

• Like 2

Things change - I'd like to thank Bill for his many years of service and his leadership of the forum/sport/Mash Monster program throughout all those years.  I think he's leaving things in good hands with Matt - who is a longtime level headed "Grip Guy".  I look forward to my next decade or two on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much Bill for all you have done in creating the best forum of any kind on the internet. I too turned 60 this year, and if I could add anything to my current life, it would be time. Thanks once again for all your efforts and dedication! May God bless you in all your future pursuits!

• Like 3

Thanks for all your tireless efforts Bill. 

Upon reflection: Where would the grip community be today without the continuity, quality, and accumulated knowledge of this board? 

I don’t think we truly appreciate what it takes to establish and then keep this place up and running so smoothly. Between the the background stuff (software upgrades, nervy migrations, server health, etc) and the moderation I think 23 years of such dedicated effort is truly a phenomenal effort. I can’t remember this place place being down/offline for more 8-12 days in TOTAL the whole time it's been running.

Enjoy a well deserved rest  - I think everyone will agree: you’ve certainly earnt it!

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!  It has definitely been a labor of love over the past 2 decades. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, enjoy your freedom!

And thank you for  asking me to start ironhistory.com in 2003. As you know, and have helped with, I also am steeping down, but remaining an admin at IH, which is now in the capable hands of Jarett Hulse- a member of IH for 15 years, a dentist in Austin, and a levelheaded man who has plans to enhance IH. He will do so.

Thank you for helping him move to the cloud and making the transition smooth, and thank you for the 20 years of helping me with the tech matters at IH- never a harsh word from you while dealing with a tech dummy (me). Most people have no idea how busy you have been all these years, but I do, and am sincerely grateful. No matter when I contacted you, never a groan or a grouch, just ready to help. You are a rare bird, my friend.

Again, long life, good health, and smooth sailing to you.

Joe Roark

• Like 8

On 10/21/2023 at 5:51 PM, Roark said:

Bill, enjoy your freedom!

And thank you for  asking me to start ironhistory.com in 2003. As you know, and have helped with, I also am steeping down, but remaining an admin at IH, which is now in the capable hands of Jarett Hulse- a member of IH for 15 years, a dentist in Austin, and a levelheaded man who has plans to enhance IH. He will do so.

Thank you for helping him move to the cloud and making the transition smooth, and thank you for the 20 years of helping me with the tech matters at IH- never a harsh word from you while dealing with a tech dummy (me). Most people have no idea how busy you have been all these years, but I do, and am sincerely grateful. No matter when I contacted you, never a groan or a grouch, just ready to help. You are a rare bird, my friend.

Again, long life, good health, and smooth sailing to you.

Joe Roark

33 minutes ago, dhartnet said:

Bill, youve been a blessing to the online strength world, all the best to you...

Thanks so much @Roark and @dhartnet!  Joe, I hope you have relief and hopefully feel good that what you built at IronHistory will live on well after you leave this earth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Bill Piche thanks for all you have done over the many years I have known you. I think I am at 21 years here, so crazy. I am never on here much anymore, I go years without even reading it, but now and then I like to hop on and read some stuff. It has been a good place to come home to when the world/internet gets crazy. The history of posts on this forum is a gold mine for anyone interested in strength. Some amazing men have passed through here over the years and left gems for the new generation to pick-up and carry with them on their own paths.

We didn't always see eye to eye Bill, but I appreciate all you have done for the strength world. We are all getting older my friend. I hope you enjoy your next journey, wherever it leads you. Good luck and God Speed!

-Rick

Edited by Rick Walker
forgot how many years I have been on here!
  • Like 7

On 11/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Rick Walker said:

@Bill Piche thanks for all you have done over the many years I have known you. I think I am at 21 years here, so crazy. I am never on here much anymore, I go years without even reading it, but now and then I like to hop on and read some stuff. It has been a good place to come home to when the world/internet gets crazy. The history of posts on this forum is a gold mine for anyone interested in strength. Some amazing men have passed through here over the years and left gems for the new generation to pick-up and carry with them on their own paths.

We didn't always see eye to eye Bill, but I appreciate all you have done for the strength world. We are all getting older my friend. I hope you enjoy your next journey, wherever it leads you. Good luck and God Speed!

-Rick

Thanks @Rick Walker! I hope you are doing well!  

• Like 1