Austin Seitter - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Austin Seitter

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Name: Austin Seitter
Height:  6'2
Weight: 302 lbs
Date of Feat: 10/2/2023
How Long Grip Training: 10 years
Current Grip Training Program: Currently focused on grippers, short steel bending, horseshoe bending.
Other Training Info:  I bounce around between grip sport, old time strongman/steel bending, arm wrestling, stone lifting, and bouldering.
Other Info: I really like breaking stuff and voiding warranties.
Acknowledgments: I'd like to thank my mom for being so supportive through all my years of weird training and scaring the neighbors.

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I used to compete in strongman but ended up injuring my back when I was 18. After that I pivoted my focus towards grip sport, old time

strongman, steel bending, and arm wrestling since it was still a way for me to keep getting stronger without making my injury worse.

Once I joined the military I kept all that going but then I also got into bouldering while I was stationed in Japan, then I almost exclusively

focused on arm wrestling while I was stationed in Utah, and now that I'm stationed in the UK I'm back to focusing on grip, steel bending, and

stone lifting.

How did you get into grip training?

When I was preparing for my first strongman competition I thought my grip was my weak point so I bought some fat gripz and captains of crush grippers. Turned out to actually be my strongest point and that got me hooked so I dove head first down the rabbit hole after that.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Learn how to properly set the gripper then practice setting it the exact same way every time. Train heavy but remember rest is important too.

What does your current grip routine look like?

I don't really have a routine. I pretty much just follow the dopamine which right now is all grippers, bending, and occasionally the grip genie RGT. That said I still only really train once or twice a week depending on how fast my body recovers.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

My training has gotten a lot more intense and I definitely have way more grippers and other grip tools than I used to.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

I used to actively train it every day for hours at a time and way too heavy. I still passively train it every workout but I only have 1 or 2 days

a week I really focus on it and the results have been much better.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Tearing the tops off of cans and bending bolts, wrenches, and horseshoes are some of my favorites. Pretty much anything where I'm breaking stuff.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

Train heavy but be smart about it and make sure you take plenty of rest. Also map out what your goals are and how you're going to realistically reach them.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

That's a tough one but I'd have to say Dennis Rodgers, Jedd Johnson, Adam Glass, and Chris Rider. When I first got into grip training a lot of the technique I learned was from studying their videos and trying some of their feats out myself. In fact I still do that from time to time.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

Probably just take my own advice from before to train smarter and more realistically map out my goals and training.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

Pretty much anything fat bar for me. I have pretty small hands for my size so thats always been my weakest point.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

Some of my biggest feats are bending a penny in half, bending a pry bar in half, bending a Kerckhaert SSP 10x22 #5 into an S, levering a 20lbs sledge hammer to my nose, slim levering a 16lbs sledge hammer, levering a 14lbs sledge hammer to my nose while lifting a 150lbs inch replica, plate pinching 2 20kg plates, and lifting the Dinnie Stones with no hook grip or belt.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Training too heavy too often with poor technique and no clear plan.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

That's another tough one but the first thing that comes to mind, since it was so recent and ridiculious, would have to be seeing Carl Myerscough certify on the CoC 4 and the GHP 10 back to back. That dudes grip is on a whole other level and its hard to even comprehend how strong he is.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Firmly grasp it.

image0 (2).jpeg

Austin Seitter, the 128th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

• Like 9

Congratulations, looked super easy on the right.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Congratulations, looked super easy on the right.

Yeah the right side felt really good but I’m gunna have to go back for revenge on the left.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...