Rank Your Favorite Gripper Brands

Jared P

Currently, this is how it sits for me for grippers I have used:

1.) GHP - Overall seemingly the highest quality, aggressive knurling, smooth and even close, and nice wide spread for increasing CCS strength
2.) Standard (2nd-Gen specifically, though both are great) - Perfect knurling, two options for handle diameters between gens, pinned handles - like Tettings but with better knurling
3.) IronMind CoC - The real 'standard' by which all others are measured. The knurling could be sharper for me, but otherwise, undoubtedly the most important gripper brand.
4.) Tetting - Historical value and collectability. An actual appreciating asset worth finding and owning. High quality all the way around. Zero complaints.
5.) Grip Genie - I enjoy how narrow the spread and handles are, as it works the grip similarly to filed grippers.
6.) Heavy Grips - Not a fan really, but the ultra-smooth handles and narrow closes can be a nice warm-up for the hand with the ones I've manually filed. I'd probably only keep these if they were filed.

Have not used yet:

Robert Baraban
FBBC
AtomGripz
Powerball
Gods of Grip

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 2

1) CoC as they are the baseline everything else is compared to, they feel good to use

2) Standard as they are such otherwise hard to find numbers that can be really good to train at and to create a collection with reasonable increment jumps, and I especially like the obnoxious wide defect spring ones

3) GHP as they are obnoxiously hard, and their challenge is fun and challenging. If you think GHP's are already hard from being wide, file them on top of them - some of my GHP's are probably 80+ mm spread after filing, I've never actually measured. A filed GHP is basically harder at both ends, and will make any other gripper feel easier.

That's really gonna be my list because I'm a minimalist and own stuff based on what's functional that I use, not for novelty. I've used 1 tetting so I can't say I have any experience with them other than 1, and while obviously it was very nice, I can't say that it felt or looked any different than a Standard aside from knurling, which I don't care that much about, and are too expensive/unavailable for me to ever consider them as being something I'll ever actually train with

Based on the RB adjustable I would never buy an RB gripper, I hate how it feels

I have 1 powerball which I've never used yet but it otherwise looks like any old narrow 50 lb gripper

As far as all the 50 lb grip brands most of which aren't worth mentioning, some of them look nice but how a gripper looks doesn't make you strong, which is what I use this for.

My nicest looking gripper is my blue GG3 but it is so easy I just look at it because it's my favorite color, and have no actual use for it

I own 2 heavy grips 1 of which is filed and can't remember the last time I used them..I just don't really like taking away the challenge of grippers by using things that are only heavy at the very end-range. Meh they're dirt cheap though, maybe some day I'll get more and file them too to at least make them a little harder. I otherwise think they feel nice.

• Like 3

1. GHP - they just feel right. The knurling is perfect for me and the sweep is my preference but I couldn’t put into words why that is 

2. COC - I prefer these for reps over GHP and they obviously are high quality also. The knurling on GHP kills my skin on higher reps but COC doesn’t

3. standard - great quality. I appreciate how cannon has created the in-between RGC’s. Similar to GHP with knurling; better for singles or lower reps for me.

4. heavy grips - great for warms ups or rep work. I got a set in the 2000’s and they’re still going. 

5. grip genie - loved the look but the small handles cause discomfort for me and it seems like any other cheap Chinese generic black spring gripper. 

• Like 3

I'm really not satisfied with the market for gripeprs at all right now. If I lived in the states it wouldn't be a problem but living over here in EU everything has become stupid expensive. And importing grippers is not even justified for me anymore with the prices.

I used to like GHP, are they even in production anymore? Seems like the only thing you can get to a decent price nowdays are cheap garbage grippers I would never use anyways.

Tetting was cool of course but they were inconsistent as hell and they are very overrated.

Baraban makes good quality grippers, I just wish he would stop using 20 mm handles. That's the main problem with them. For me it's important that there's a standard so that all grippers have the same handle thickness, similar handle spread and knurling etc.

Ironmind is good but they are not as good as they used to be in terms of quality of knurling etc.

Rant over.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 5

1. Standard: the aggressive knurling helps a lot with my setting. I really like that the handle ends are not chamfered down a lot - it just digs in to my callus and stays there pretty much. Oh and I don't want any rings in my gripper handles, just knurling. I haven't used a second generation Standard yet, but I hope it's the same or at least very similar. I hope that cert system Matt mentioned once becomes a reality one day. 

2: GHP: there are a few things that could be better for my taste, but the knurling is overall very good on these as well. Also their cert system with the 1.5" block is reasonable.

3: CoC: the knurling is my biggest problem with these, and I still don't like CCS. I don't hate them or smg, but Standards and GHPs are so much better for me. My set sucks and good knurling helps a lot probably. 

I never tried Tettings, Barabans, or Silurakovs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Standard 2nd gen - To me this is the perfect gripper, especially now that it has 19mm handles like CoC & GHP.

2. CoC - Especially the pre 2014 version, it has way better knurling than the newer ones but even the newer ones I would put at 2nd as well.

3. GHP - It has great knurling, it's very wide & it's the hardest gripper relative to RGC in my opinion. I have nightmares about my GHP 7, so I have to put it at the 3rd spot.

4. Heavy Grips - These are probably the best value grippers, it's also the first grippers I bought. They're the ones I used to close the #3, so they definitely work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matek said:

1. Standard: the aggressive knurling helps a lot with my setting. I really like that the handle ends are not chamfered down a lot - it just digs in to my callus and stays there pretty much. Oh and I don't want any rings in my gripper handles, just knurling. I haven't used a second generation Standard yet, but I hope it's the same or at least very similar. I hope that cert system Matt mentioned once becomes a reality one day.

Second gens are even better and, dare I say, perfect. The combination of the better knurling (though probably not as rough on the hands as a GHP), with the 19mm handles, is a major improvement even over the first gens, which were already great.

I really hope the CPW cert system becomes a reality as well. I think CPW is onto something with these Standard grippers, and future iterations and certification potential. The potential is basically limitless, because of the control and communication Matt is able to have over the entire process. Excited to see what the future holds for these.

One controversial thing I'd like to see, as only Carl and maybe one or two other people could currently train with them, is a line of maybe 4-8 grippers ranging from where CoC 4 takes off, around mid 220s, up to 300+ rgc, as a way to bridge the gap between the CoC 4 and the GHP 10 - and then beyond.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1. GHP - This is because of the sheer difficulty.  These are pound-for-pound the most difficult grippers around.  Incredible knurling!  I, and a few others, have had a handle pop off of a GHP7, so that's concerning, but I wouldn't say the quality of the entire line is in question.  If these were pinned instead of glued, they would be the ultimate gripper.  It's a shame they are currently out of production, but at least I have mine. :)

2. Standard - Top quality and @Cannon has his finger on the pulse of what the grip community wants and needs.  The knurling is slightly less extreme than GHP, but far better than CoC.  I haven't gotten my hands on a pinned one, but I have no doubts they are excellent.  My experience with CPW is that I can order something and have it in my hands in two days.  Great service!

3. CoC - Good quality control and a great gripper.  Knurling is, 'meh,' but not everyone wants magnesium chalk tattoos on their palms like I do.  I get can them delivered same-day via Amazon, wowzers!

4. Tetting - Cool and rare, but there seems to be a lot of variance in ratings for each level.  I like the knurling and the 'underground' look and feel.  I'm not a collector so these don't mean as much to me as other people, but it's always a pleasure to get my hands on one.

5. Robert Baraban - I like these a lot as the 20mm handles feel really nice in my hands.  Knurling is could be sharper.  I would say these are on par with CoC, but hard to find these days.  Their adjustable gripper is cool, and they make some handy accessories like pinch pads and a negative handle.

6. Heavy Grips/Grip Genie/Powerball/etc., - I think HG and the other cheap grippers are a good option for people who want to start their grip journey on a budget, or if they are uncertain of how serious they want to be about it.  That said, you can feel the difference in quality between these and the aforementioned brands.  If the cool colors and handles of the other brands get people enthusiastic about training, then that's great.  The Hulk gripper I bought is really cool to admire and show off.  It is green and beefy.  The biggest strike against any of these grippers are the narrow spreads.  That doesn't aid in my training at all, so I don't look to buy or use these.  I don't enjoy the skinny handles, either.

I haven't tried Atomgripz, but I've always wanted to attempt one of the smooth handled grippers they have.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For me, and this is just my opinion, this is how I rank the grippers I own, and why.

1 , Tetting , somewhere about 20 years ago. I actually got a talk to Warren telling. We talked for almost an hour, and we talked about it everything in life, including gripping, and strength training. I don't use these Grippers is very often.

2, GHP, in my opinion these are probably the best grippers on the market right now followed very closely with the standard grippers from Cannon. They have the best Knurling  .

3, standard grippers , between these grippers in the GHP grippers very close in quality and knurling.

4, Ironmind, COC first grippers I ever bought. The gold standard.

I own some other gripper brands, gods of grips, heavy gripper, Bone crushers. All are OK, but heavy grips I would not recommend to buy. 

This is just my opinion

• Like 3

On 10/4/2023 at 1:56 AM, Jared P said:

Second gens are even better and, dare I say, perfect. The combination of the better knurling (though probably not as rough on the hands as a GHP), with the 19mm handles, is a major improvement even over the first gens, which were already great.

I really hope the CPW cert system becomes a reality as well. I think CPW is onto something with these Standard grippers, and future iterations and certification potential. The potential is basically limitless, because of the control and communication Matt is able to have over the entire process. Excited to see what the future holds for these.

One controversial thing I'd like to see, as only Carl and maybe one or two other people could currently train with them, is a line of maybe 4-8 grippers ranging from where CoC 4 takes off, around mid 220s, up to 300+ rgc, as a way to bridge the gap between the CoC 4 and the GHP 10 - and then beyond.

The springs on the titanium and tungsten are already absolute units, What would a 300 rgc standard spring look like, I wanna see it

• Like 3

1. Standard 

2. GHP (love the original ones with the sharper knurling) 

3. IronMind (seems like knurling isn’t what it used to be - still of very high quality overall) 

Haven’t used other brands enough to have an opinion. 

• Like 4

#1 GHP by a country mile, although wider spread than most, the knurling is perfect for me and I love the finger placement guides, the close feels smoother than other brands. 

#2 COCs. I just love the feel of them and we're the first grippers I ever owned. My 21 year COC black spring trainer is my face gripper of all and I still use to this day.

#3 CPW standards. Very good knurling and hand feel. 

#4 Gods of grip elite series, very good knurling and on to the narrow side.

I've tried a few other brands but none stood out. Strength shops were decent.

• Like 2