Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - BEN HELMS

Vinnie

It's still October 1, and it looks like I am NOT going to be late with this month's profile.  I saw this guy clean and almost press an Inch, so yeah, about time he's written up as a grip notable ... it's Ben "New Daddy" Helms!  I think in between changing diapers he is going to complete that feat.  Soon it will be so easy he will have to strap the kid onto the bell to make it challenging ...

So here is Ben's questionnaire:

1. What are your stats?

GripBoard name: Ben Helms
    Height: 6’3”
    Weight: 230lbs
    Dominant hand, and hand size: Right 8”
    Country/City: USA, Vinton
    Relationship Status: Married 
    Children: 1

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started grip training after I competed at my first grip competition. I competed at the Armlifting USA Super Series. I found out about grip and competition through a friend that I made on Facebook Marketplace, Delan Halmat. I was selling him a circus dumbbell that had a three inch diameter handle on it and he asked me if I ever tried one hand deadlifts with it. I never thought to try something like that before and thats when he mentioned Armlifting USA and grip competitions. I gave it a shot and I was hooked. After that competition, I dove deep into the sport and tried to learn as much as possible about it. Today, I am still learning about grip and enjoying every second of it. I’ve been training grip 15 months now.

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I would say that my proudest moments in grip are:

• Cleaning the Thomas Inch Dumbbell
  • Completing a Blob Cycle with a 52lb Fatman (DL, Clean, Snatch, Curl) 
  • Cleaning Blobzilla (Half Legacy 130)
  • A hand to hand toss with a Red Pill Blob (56lb Slick Block Weight)

My current goals that I would like to achieve by the end of 2024 are:

• Completing the clean and press with the Thomas Inch Dumbbell 
  • A hand to hand toss with Blobzilla
  • Snatching a Red Pill Blob
  • One hand lift with a 104kg Inch Dumbbell 
  • Closing a Captains of Crush #4

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

For the most part, I train just grip. Ill add some weight training into my day after my grip training. I separate grippers, vertical bars, pinch, and thick bar into their own training day, not doing each more than once a week. For weight training I will have one push day and one pull day during my week and that is all I do for weight training. 

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

If I’m not training or working, Im spending time with my family. I do not have any hobbies really because I’d rather spend time with my family instead of doing something by myself. If I do get a chance to have free time, I will draw. I love drawing and used to do that all the time when I was younger. 

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to be introduced to grip and meat so many amazing people. I have never known a better community than the grip community. That is what got me hooked in the first place. Everyone wants to see each other grow and also be competitive with one another as well. It is a perfect balance that helps everyone grow in performance and in a personal way as well. Personally, my goal is to attract more people to the grip world the exact same way I was attracted to it. Seeing this sport grow is very important to me, and I look forward to watching it grow and continue to challenge me and keep me motivated.

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next? 

Jaland Worley @dubyagrip

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 10/2/2023 at 6:52 AM, Vinnie said:

It's still October 1, and it looks like I am NOT going to be late with this month's profile.  I saw this guy clean and almost press an Inch, so yeah, about time he's written up as a grip notable ... it's Ben "New Daddy" Helms!  I think in between changing diapers he is going to complete that feat.  Soon it will be so easy he will have to strap the kid onto the bell to make it challenging ...

So here is Ben's questionnaire:

1. What are your stats?

GripBoard name: Ben Helms
    Height: 6’3”
    Weight: 230lbs
    Dominant hand, and hand size: Right 8”
    Country/City: USA, Vinton
    Relationship Status: Married 
    Children: 1

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started grip training after I competed at my first grip competition. I competed at the Armlifting USA Super Series. I found out about grip and competition through a friend that I made on Facebook Marketplace, Delan Halmat. I was selling him a circus dumbbell that had a three inch diameter handle on it and he asked me if I ever tried one hand deadlifts with it. I never thought to try something like that before and thats when he mentioned Armlifting USA and grip competitions. I gave it a shot and I was hooked. After that competition, I dove deep into the sport and tried to learn as much as possible about it. Today, I am still learning about grip and enjoying every second of it. I’ve been training grip 15 months now.

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I would say that my proudest moments in grip are:

• Cleaning the Thomas Inch Dumbbell
  • Completing a Blob Cycle with a 52lb Fatman (DL, Clean, Snatch, Curl) 
  • Cleaning Blobzilla (Half Legacy 130)
  • A hand to hand toss with a Red Pill Blob (56lb Slick Block Weight)

My current goals that I would like to achieve by the end of 2024 are:

• Completing the clean and press with the Thomas Inch Dumbbell 
  • A hand to hand toss with Blobzilla
  • Snatching a Red Pill Blob
  • One hand lift with a 104kg Inch Dumbbell 
  • Closing a Captains of Crush #4

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

For the most part, I train just grip. Ill add some weight training into my day after my grip training. I separate grippers, vertical bars, pinch, and thick bar into their own training day, not doing each more than once a week. For weight training I will have one push day and one pull day during my week and that is all I do for weight training. 

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

If I’m not training or working, Im spending time with my family. I do not have any hobbies really because I’d rather spend time with my family instead of doing something by myself. If I do get a chance to have free time, I will draw. I love drawing and used to do that all the time when I was younger. 

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to be introduced to grip and meat so many amazing people. I have never known a better community than the grip community. That is what got me hooked in the first place. Everyone wants to see each other grow and also be competitive with one another as well. It is a perfect balance that helps everyone grow in performance and in a personal way as well. Personally, my goal is to attract more people to the grip world the exact same way I was attracted to it. Seeing this sport grow is very important to me, and I look forward to watching it grow and continue to challenge me and keep me motivated.

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next? 

Jaland Worley @dubyagrip

Strong fella. Just heard about him. Continue with these interviews. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Strong fella.

Yep.  Another one coming up next month!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vinnie, I love your opening paragraphs!

Now Ben might have an extra challenge of playing “is it poop or is it chocolate?” With diaper changes in between Grip sessions!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Tammy said:

Vinnie, I love your opening paragraphs!

Now Ben might have an extra challenge of playing “is it poop or is it chocolate?” With diaper changes in between Grip sessions!

what a way to ruin perfectly chalked hands

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

what a way to ruin perfectly chalked hands

For the win

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ben is a Super strong dude… can’t wait to see what he accomplishes in grip sport in the future!! 

cheers gentlemen! 💯😎

• Like 1