The Myth of the Dog Leg | Blog post

Cannon

Check out our new blog post! If you spend any amount of time in the gripper community then you've undoubtedly heard about the dog leg.

Try and complete this sentence: "The dog leg matters because ____________." Then read to find out if your understanding of the dog leg is fact or fiction!  

The Myth of the Dog Leg

https://cannonpowerworks.com/blogs/grip-strength/the-myth-of-the-dog-leg

dogleg1_8343ce32-e481-42f7-80da-4a978a86

• Like 11

Dog legs matter (to me), because it establishes a pattern to follow, to train, to perform and execute.

Nice blog post!

• Like 2

As someone still closing less than #3, the “dog leg” hasnt mattered to me yet. Can I say that is why I havent closed a #3 yet? lol 😂

• Like 1

A great article @Cannon!  I am probably guilty of propagating the myth. However, the longer sided handle IS a leverage advantage right?  How much difference in handle lengths makes any difference in the close? That would be interesting to find out.  A few ounces equivalent? Can the human eye see 1/16" difference? Is it a don't care when the eye can't see a difference? In the picture in the article you can obviously see one side is longer.

• Like 1

Oh man @Wannagrip, until maybe ~10 years ago I told everyone about the dog leg. I've had this article in my pocket for quite a while and finally had time to put it together. Actually I should say gumption. I definitely haven't had time lately :turn 

I actually do have observational data for uneven legs. If the handles are off by 1/8" then that really starts to show up in the rating. It will make a difference of 3-5 lbs depending on which way you flip the gripper. Handles that are off by 1/16" might have a 1-2 lbs difference.  

The gripper in the article is not actually assembled. It's just loose handles on a spring that I exaggerated to make the illustration. I look at a LOT of grippers and, for example, can see if the handles are uneven while the gripper is still in the package. Here is one example I just happen to have sitting around. I had set it aside because I noticed the uneven mount. 

image.png

That gripper rated 130 one way and 128ish the other way. When closed, the handles are off by about 1/16" so you can see that with the naked eye. This gripper is a prime candidate for a pre-rated filed gripper. The handles are barely off, it's a good strength and after filing there is nothing that has to meet up. 

• Like 2

My 3 cert gripper that I still have is significantly offset. Yeah I knew it should be easier but never knew how much. 🤣

• Like 1