My grip journey

maidenfan

Wasn’t really sure where to post this as I didn’t see a “random” thread.  I’ve been a member here for many years, only actively posting ten or more years ago.  I’m an OCD kinda guy and was actively bit by the bug back then.  I bought (and sold most) every grip device owned to man.  I even had an original Joe Kinney “Secret Weapon” that was delivered with a hand written letter by Joe.  Don’t worry, I didn’t sell that.  It was given to a long time grip supporter (Tod, a member here) who runs grip competitions in the Pacific Northwest).  I remember watching Joes VHS tape over and over.  That beer can squash is awesome

Over the years, I’ve been influenced by many of you.  I remember buying a “Clays Handle) that, really, was the best rolling handle ever made (sent that back to him).  I met a few of you at local grip competitions and even had one out to my old home gym (Acorn) as he was in a business trip and wanted to have some fun (strong, determined dude). 

Anyway, life goes on and I’ve moved several times, to a few different states.  My old “Westside/Dino/Grip” shop gym has become a lot less, lol.  Here’s what I’m doing now for training (been this way for almost ten years).

All of my grip and training is incorporated into my normal workouts, which are almost always intervals of lifting and a C2 bike (mainly) or rower.  I wear a heart rate strap and always try to minimize rest.  Workouts range from 30-40 mins to 60-90 mins, depending on how I feel.  Grip training is incorporated in all of that.  

My gym now: C2 bike (best thing since sliced bread) and rower.  The bike is awesome.  I love the tower as well, but generally doesn’t mix well with the lifting I do (KBs and DBs ground to overhead). 

Precor treadmill (932) for walking and my wife’s Peloton bike (decent as well).  I was tired of cheap benches and went all out on Rogues new Manta Ray bench w the sit-up attachment - absolutely love it, worth the cost.  I have several Kettlebells up to 44kg and a set of the Powerblock commercial 90 DBs

Grip is all incorporated with my interval training.  I do pullups 4-5 days a week (pegboard or Kensui Swissies on a bar - elbows can’t hack regular pull-ups anymore). I have a ton of Atomik Climbings “ninja warrior” and many other thick bar devices.  The Kensui handles were a game changer for me for pull-ups as I frequently have elbow issues at 53.  

As far as grippers go, the only thing I have left is David’s (best made) and an Ivanko Supergripper. The only recent purchase I’ve made is a set of Gripzilla’s arm wrestling grips.  Absolutely awesome as the fit on my pegboard handles perfectly 🤙

Anyway, here are a few pics.  Would love to see a few of the other old timer’s (Chris) garages as well

Morgan 

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1171.jpeg

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

Edited by maidenfan
  • Like 6

Morgan, great to see you! It looks like you still have a great supply of the essentials. I’m glad you have training that you enjoy and have found ways to adapt. 

I have never heard of that bike, I will have to look that up. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cannon said:

Morgan, great to see you! It looks like you still have a great supply of the essentials. I’m glad you have training that you enjoy and have found ways to adapt. 

I have never heard of that bike, I will have to look that up. 

Concept 2 equipment has been a staple of mine for many years.  All three of their products are fantastic and worth the money.  The company’s legendary customer service makes the deal even better.  Of the three, the bike is the most versatile for “weightlifting-type” intervals

IMG_1191.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Concept 2 equipment has been a staple of mine for many years.  All three of their products are fantastic and worth the money.  The company’s legendary customer service makes the deal even better.  Of the three, the bike is the most versatile for “weightlifting-type” intervals

IMG_1191.png

I'm getting one of those some day or the Ski Erg... I love the rower.... Except for the past few weeks I've been using it 3 times a week for over a year. Needed a little break from it.

Real nice set up you have.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm getting one of those some day or the Ski Erg... I love the rower.... Except for the past few weeks I've been using it 3 times a week for over a year. Needed a little break from it.

Real nice set up you have.

Thanks, man.  I’ve owned and used all three, but only have the rower and bike now.  Of the three, the bike and skieErg work the best for combining with strength training.  The tower just puts too much on the lower back/posterior to combine with lifting (imo).  The best part about C2s stuff is the massive online community, clubs, and races (virtual and real). 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I remember you from back in the day. 400 axle and 440 to the knees. You were into powerlifting too  , I believe. 

Great to see you are still training.