After a CoC #4 close, what’s next?

AdriaanRobert96

So to all these legends closing the #4 with the new rules especially, what’s the next step?

Rep it?

A new Captains of Crush?

Edited by AdriaanRobert96

Next step has already been done my friend: 

After that there's currently no gripper in production which is harder that I know of. Tetting used to do some that could go as high as 300 RGC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Well only 1 person is now certified by these standards, for those doing it in training I would imagine their next step is to get certified as well

Indeed👌🏼

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

After that there's currently no gripper in production which is harder that I know of. Tetting used to do some that could go as high as 300 RGC.

Oh man I’ve seen this, it’s truly mind blowing😐

The bar has been raised. Carl did the impossible - CoC 4 and GHP 10 certifications - and made them forever possible.

Now - how many gripper athletes will ascend to higher levels than they would have previously? I believe that is a next step we will begin to see in the coming years.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

The bar has been raised. Carl did the impossible - CoC 4 and GHP 10 certifications - and made them forever possible.

Now - how many gripper athletes will ascend to higher levels than they would have previously? I believe that is a next step we will begin to see in the coming years.

How many?  hard to say but it won't be a lot unless grip becomes a highly profitable sport.  I've always said the next to certify on a #4 would be a "BIG" guy and Carl certainly qualifies as such.  In addition to being the first man to close the #4 under the new rules, I believe that Carl is the only truly "elite" and "world class" athlete that has ever went all in on grip.  I mean no disrespect to anyone else who has achieved any other gripper certification, however I think Carl is the only Olympian and the only multi-year national champion in an olympic sport to ever go all in on grip and go for certifications.  Genetics matters, and Carl represents the top level of God given ability, combined with the top level of work ethic; and keep in mind he was in his 5th decade of life when he did it.  When you look through the Ironmind certification lists, I can think of three men other than Carl who achieved a high level of success in an olympic/NCAA division 1/big money professional sport. 1. Richard Sorin 2. Gayle Gillingham 3. Alan Barch Jr.  Apologies to anyone else I have missed.  I specifically am not including WSM, because your average NFL player today makes more than any WSM champion.  It is my personal opinion that, truly elite strength athletes will gravitate towards higher paying sports, or at least something that will get them a full scholarship to college.  However, I'll acknowledge that there are some other elite strength athletes on the list when you include powerlifting, armwrestling, and WSM.  Again, not trying to disrespect anyone, but when we look at men who certified on a gripper that have a championship or close in any olympic/professional/NCAA D1 sport, the list is very short.

To be clear, closing a heavy gripper is worthy of respect and I give it to anyone who has achieved it.  I'm simply pointing out that if you have ever witnessed a truly elite strength athlete in their prime, they basically perform like gods compared to the rest of us, especially when they are ascending to their world class status.  When you talk about someone who looks like a god in strength athletics compared to the rest of us, Carl fits that bill and maybe one or two other guys at best on the Ironmind cert lists.  I had the privilege of watching a #2 OVERALL draft pick in the NFL play in high school--I can tell you even as a 9th grader, he was so far beyond everyone else it wasn't even funny(In western Pennsylvania which is a really tough region for football in general).  Men like this are rare, they represent 1 in 10,000 or even higher natural ability.  Carl likely resides in that gene pool especially when you combine his extreme size with his natural fast twitch muscle dominance. Will you see someone surpass Carl's feats?  Maybe a man of similar abilities who focuses solely on grip from his late teens to early thirties might have a chance at beating Carl's records.  Otherwise, Carl will likely be on top for a while.  I think you will likely see more #4 certs, but GHP 10, I'm not holding my breath(but not impossible).

Edited by RiotGrip
  • Like 4

I agree that Carl is a one of a kind grip talent, but I don't know that it's fair to say that people who would otherwise be very good at grip are focusing their athleticism on making money, so we won't continue to see many talented grip athletes. Many NBA players aren't particularly strong by world standards, just very tall and technically sound basketball players, for example. Different attributes are important for different sports. If you take a "big money" sport like the NFL, most of the emphasis is on agility, speed, horsepower (for LBs). You aren't allowed to hold on to each other so a predisposition for grip plays no role 😉. I don't think it's fair to say that just because those people are highly paid athletes that there aren't "normal" people who could surpass them at grip if they both went at it just as hard. They just landed in that position because they trained for a long time, had an applicable skillset, and applied themselves. Professional athletes are not gods haha. I'm excited for the future of gripsport. I think with more famous fitness influencers (Larry Wheels, Jujimufu, Brian Shaw, etc) promoting grip, and the crossover from armwrestling which is also seeing a rise in popularity, there will only be more and more grip feats to come.

• Like 3

Being the gripper enthusiast I am I would of course cheer for a CoC#5 but we all know this is not supposed to happen :D After the GHP10/Tetting Pro there is the World Class, which ranges from like 250 min to over 300 (Typical values around 280ish). Could be the next deep set close goal for Carl. I'd be astonashed :D

For us trainees there's still tons of certs, many of which are very rare and exclusive (for example the FBBC certs). One person reaching the top is more of a motivation for us to strive towards our goals :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

How many?  hard to say but it won't be a lot unless grip becomes a highly profitable sport.  I've always said the next to certify on a #4 would be a "BIG" guy and Carl certainly qualifies as such.  In addition to being the first man to close the #4 under the new rules, I believe that Carl is the only truly "elite" and "world class" athlete that has ever went all in on grip.  I mean no disrespect to anyone else who has achieved any other gripper certification, however I think Carl is the only Olympian and the only multi-year national champion in an olympic sport to ever go all in on grip and go for certifications.  Genetics matters, and Carl represents the top level of God given ability, combined with the top level of work ethic; and keep in mind he was in his 5th decade of life when he did it.  When you look through the Ironmind certification lists, I can think of three men other than Carl who achieved a high level of success in an olympic/NCAA division 1/big money professional sport. 1. Richard Sorin 2. Gayle Gillingham 3. Alan Barch Jr.  Apologies to anyone else I have missed.  I specifically am not including WSM, because your average NFL player today makes more than any WSM champion.  It is my personal opinion that, truly elite strength athletes will gravitate towards higher paying sports, or at least something that will get them a full scholarship to college.  However, I'll acknowledge that there are some other elite strength athletes on the list when you include powerlifting, armwrestling, and WSM.  Again, not trying to disrespect anyone, but when we look at men who certified on a gripper that have a championship or close in any olympic/professional/NCAA D1 sport, the list is very short.

To be clear, closing a heavy gripper is worthy of respect and I give it to anyone who has achieved it.  I'm simply pointing out that if you have ever witnessed a truly elite strength athlete in their prime, they basically perform like gods compared to the rest of us, especially when they are ascending to their world class status.  When you talk about someone who looks like a god in strength athletics compared to the rest of us, Carl fits that bill and maybe one or two other guys at best on the Ironmind cert lists.  I had the privilege of watching a #2 OVERALL draft pick in the NFL play in high school--I can tell you even as a 9th grader, he was so far beyond everyone else it wasn't even funny(In western Pennsylvania which is a really tough region for football in general).  Men like this are rare, they represent 1 in 10,000 or even higher natural ability.  Carl likely resides in that gene pool especially when you combine his extreme size with his natural fast twitch muscle dominance. Will you see someone surpass Carl's feats?  Maybe a man of similar abilities who focuses solely on grip from his late teens to early thirties might have a chance at beating Carl's records.  Otherwise, Carl will likely be on top for a while.  I think you will likely see more #4 certs, but GHP 10, I'm not holding my breath(but not impossible).

Wow man, you literally spoke my thoughts😅So very true!

5 hours ago, DrBartlebee said:

I agree that Carl is a one of a kind grip talent, but I don't know that it's fair to say that people who would otherwise be very good at grip are focusing their athleticism on making money, so we won't continue to see many talented grip athletes. Many NBA players aren't particularly strong by world standards, just very tall and technically sound basketball players, for example. Different attributes are important for different sports. If you take a "big money" sport like the NFL, most of the emphasis is on agility, speed, horsepower (for LBs). You aren't allowed to hold on to each other so a predisposition for grip plays no role 😉. I don't think it's fair to say that just because those people are highly paid athletes that there aren't "normal" people who could surpass them at grip if they both went at it just as hard. They just landed in that position because they trained for a long time, had an applicable skillset, and applied themselves. Professional athletes are not gods haha. I'm excited for the future of gripsport. I think with more famous fitness influencers (Larry Wheels, Jujimufu, Brian Shaw, etc) promoting grip, and the crossover from armwrestling which is also seeing a rise in popularity, there will only be more and more grip feats to come.

Yup, a lot of giftef people out there with otherwordly grip strength..

Thing is that they focus on other things instead, and that’s ok ofc.

2 hours ago, Alex K said:

Being the gripper enthusiast I am I would of course cheer for a CoC#5 but we all know this is not supposed to happen :D After the GHP10/Tetting Pro there is the World Class, which ranges from like 250 min to over 300 (Typical values around 280ish). Could be the next deep set close goal for Carl. I'd be astonashed :D

For us trainees there's still tons of certs, many of which are very rare and exclusive (for example the FBBC certs). One person reaching the top is more of a motivation for us to strive towards our goals :)

Carl really showed us what is possible within grip, should only motivate us to do better😄

I’ll get that #4 no matter how long it takes, gotta be some what obsessed I think😂

9 hours ago, DrBartlebee said:

I should probably clarify my comment a bit.  When I spoke of natural ability in strength sports I'm talking natural abundance of fast twitch muscle fibers specifically what is often referred to as "explosive" strength.  Guys who can sprint fast, move quickly and jump really high(or throw shot puts, discs etc. far).  This explosiveness is somewhat different than raw strength which can be measured on bar.  You are correct that most NBA players aren't considered "strong" in the traditional sense, but limb length may be a disadvantage on traditional lifts.  However, explosiveness is a common trait among most guys in the NBA.  As an example, go to any good gym and pick the ten "strongest" guys in it ask them to do a vertical jump, see how many can jump 36" or higher.  Maybe one of them does it, but I wouldn't bet on it--Now take 10 random NBA players and ask the same of them and I'll bet 8 or 9 of them can do it.  A good vertical jump on a larger athlete is very telling about explosive strength.  Look at how a lot of guys in the NBA can run and jump and you may think about it differently.  Here are a couple of examples of explosiveness.

Most human beings will never be able to move like this and those who can will lose a fair bit of that explosiveness by their 40th birthday no matter what.  Raw "strength" on a barbell can be maintained almost 100% in elite athletes until around 55 without help.  Also worth mentioning that Thor Bjornsson originally went for the NBA and washed out before he became "The Mountain".  

People with super high levels of natural athleticism may not all use it for big money, but virtually all of them have used it as a means to an end.  I think it's fair to say that almost everyone with Carl's natural abilities have likely at least used their talents to get a full ride to college.  Most people who can easily be better than everyone else at a particular activity will tend to participate in that activity.  Many people who have the ability and opportunity to make millions of dollars from their talents will take such an opportunity and that's OK.  There likely isn't a 100% crossover of grip ability to fast-twitch muscle genetics, but it is much higher than a lot of people want to admit.   Also, body size matters a lot, there are Olympic wrestlers and weight lifters that have Carl's natural abilities and fast twitch muscle fiber ratios but not enough overall mass to replicate his feats in grip.

Edited by RiotGrip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RiotGrip said:

I should probably clarify my comment a bit.  When I spoke of natural ability in strength sports I'm talking natural abundance of fast twitch muscle fibers specifically what is often referred to as "explosive" strength.  Guys who can sprint fast, move quickly and jump really high(or throw shot puts, discs etc. far).  This explosiveness is somewhat different than raw strength which can be measured on bar.  You are correct that most NBA players aren't considered "strong" in the traditional sense, but limb length may be a disadvantage on traditional lifts.  However, explosiveness is a common trait among most guys in the NBA.  As an example, go to any good gym and pick the ten "strongest" guys in it ask them to do a vertical jump, see how many can jump 36" or higher.  Maybe one of them does it, but I wouldn't bet on it--Now take 10 random NBA players and ask the same of them and I'll bet 8 or 9 of them can do it.  A good vertical jump on a larger athlete is very telling about explosive strength.  Look at how a lot of guys in the NBA can run and jump and you may think about it differently.  Here are a couple of examples of explosiveness.

Most human beings will never be able to move like this and those who can will lose a fair bit of that explosiveness by their 40th birthday no matter what.  Raw "strength" on a barbell can be maintained almost 100% in elite athletes until around 55 without help.  Also worth mentioning that Thor Bjornsson originally went for the NBA and washed out before he became "The Mountain".  

People with super high levels of natural athleticism may not all use it for big money, but virtually all of them have used it as a means to an end.  I think it's fair to say that almost everyone with Carl's natural abilities have likely at least used their talents to get a full ride to college.  Most people who can easily be better than everyone else at a particular activity will tend to participate in that activity.  Many people who have the ability and opportunity to make millions of dollars from their talents will take such an opportunity and that's OK.  There likely isn't a 100% crossover of grip ability to fast-twitch muscle genetics, but it is much higher than a lot of people want to admit.   Also, body size matters a lot, there are Olympic wrestlers and weight lifters that have Carl's natural abilities and fast twitch muscle fiber ratios but not enough overall mass to replicate his feats in grip.

Man I loved basketball after quitting track and field, used to run 60-400m mostly on the lower end.

I think that really helped my 38inch vert, although I only weighed about 83kg/182lbs then..

Being able to dunk is a really amazing feeling😍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I have a like-new gripper rated at 305

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Better send that to @Carl Myerscough😂

We’ve spoke. Extremely nice guy

• Like 1

Just now, ChimpGrip said:

We’ve spoke. Extremely nice guy

Yup, very likeable and down to earth🫡

2 hours ago, Ryroza said:

GM150 

Oh man, a GM150 would be nice.. I wonder what they go for..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Where do you get these? I know it’s Russia but what store? Can I just import like 50 of these buggers?

I was actually just going to ask you the other day if you'd ever consider selling GM150s through your store, since they seem hard to come by otherwise, and a ton of people in the USA want them.

https://grippermania.ru/contacts - Vano is fairly easy to contact from what I've heard.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 1