The 350lb heaviest Globe Dumbbell in the world

mcalpine1986

This may be of interest to people on here. Brian Shaw has just bought a cast iron globe Dumbbell that as far as we know is the heaviest ever made.

It weighs 350lbs/159kg and has at least a 2" thick handle, Brian said the handle has a slightly smaller diameter than the Millennium dumbbell which he can easily do level lift's on. He doesn't measure the handle but it sure does look thick although thinner than an inch or millennium.

This is the first time I've saw Brian Shaw not be able to lift anything grip wise as he is arguably the best all rounder in the world at grip feats.

Him and Joel Dircks who he travels with also find and hub lift some cool old deep dish 45lb plates. It's Well worth a watch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

Carl, Rich, Laine, Khaleed - maybe can lifted this, after training sure.  

Hardest feat of strength grip ever?

Possibly but without them trying it's hard to say, id have said Laine would have the best chance as he has lifted his "Snookstein" Dumbbell which is I believe going off memory is 272lbs/123.3kg. This is way more weight though. 

Brian and Joel got a little bit of air on one side when trying but really struggle to move it.

Maybe in time brian will do it but it's a big ask. Maybe its impossible but who knows? 

Even a 350lb/159kg normal thickness handle globe Dumbbell would be very difficult as it would want to roll out of your hand. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

Considering the weight, (likely) amount of brutal rotation, narrower handle thickness, and Brian's hand size  I'll be interested to see if he manages to eventually lift it.

I actually think the size of his hands could work against him here. How to stop the rotation is what has me intrigued. . . .

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

Considering the weight, (likely) amount of brutal rotation, narrower handle thickness, and Brian's hand size  I'll be interested to see if he manages to eventually lift it.

I actually think the size of his hands could work against him here. How to stop the rotation is what has me intrigued. . . .

Agreed, I'm not sure it's possible but would love to see it. I mean yes he does the millennium Dumbbell with ease but this is nearly 60kg heavier even if the handle is a smidge thinner. 

The rotation must be crazy at 159kg, the man he bought it off said in over 30 years no one had ever budged it until brian and Joel got some air with to it on one side, That's a long way off a full lift though. 

If anyone can do it though it's brian but it will take a lot of training. 

• Like 1

I think they should start by breaking the WR on the axle. I don't see it happen before that. Maybe a super unstrict rep but I don't know. That weight is crazy high with a 50 mm handle.

I haven't seen Laine doing anything in years now, I know he can't do axle DL because of his back, so heavier weight will not help him. 

Khaled would need to start training grip again, doing MMA is not going to help him lift a DB like that.

I would say Carl probably has the best chance right now. He has the axle WR so we know he's very strong with this handle width. 

Maybe Brian also if he actually tries to lift it and not lift it strictly like in the video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think they should start by breaking the WR on the axle. I don't see it happen before that. Maybe a super unstrict rep but I don't know. That weight is crazy high with a 50 mm handle.

I haven't seen Laine doing anything in years now, I know he can't do axle DL because of his back, so heavier weight will not help him. 

Khaled would need to start training grip again, doing MMA is not going to help him lift a DB like that.

I would say Carl probably has the best chance right now. He has the axle WR so we know he's very strong with this handle width. 

Maybe Brian also if he actually tries to lift it and not lift it strictly like in the video.

I agree that focusing on the axle would help, I'd love to see someone like brian focus on axle.

On the Db the handle actually looks bigger than 50mm/2" but it's hard to say by just looking.

I think Laine must be about 60 now or late 50s at least so his best lifting days will be behind him I think.

I think Brian will give it a proper go and play about with it once he has it at his gym.

I'd also love to see a collab with Carl and Brian trying it. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I agree that focusing on the axle would help, I'd love to see someone like brian focus on axle.

On the Db the handle actually looks bigger than 50mm/2" but it's hard to say by just looking.

I think Laine must be about 60 now or late 50s at least so his best lifting days will be behind him I think.

I think Brian will give it a proper go and play about with it once he has it at his gym.

I'd also love to see a collab with Carl and Brian trying it. 

I'd love that too. It would be cool to see them stand next to each other.

• Like 1

Even lifting a normal dumbbell handle at 350 would be a decent feat this doesn't seem possible though would have to know the exact handle size to decide for sure

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'd love that too. It would be cool to see them stand next to each other.

Oh yeah, they are both behemoth's and the top 2 in grip in the world.

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Even lifting a normal dumbbell handle at 350 would be a decent feat this doesn't seem possible though would have to know the exact handle size to decide for sure

Agreed, Not many would move a 350lb normal handle Db never mind one over 2".

I'm hoping Brian will do another video on it in his own gym and tell us more about it and the exact handle diameter.

I don't know if it's even possible to lift but I'd love to see it. The millennium Dumbbell has only been lifted by less than 10 people (Shaw included with level clean lifts) as far as I know but this is so much heavier even if the handle is a smidge thinner. 

I've tried an 172lb inch which weighs more than me and The rotation on that was crazy to me so this 350lbs Db must be insane.

51 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

The millennium Dumbbell has only been lifted by less than 10 people (Shaw included with level clean lifts) as far as I know but this is so much heavier even if the handle is a smidge thinner. 

Since 2000, the following athletes are known to have lifteded the Millennium or its copy

Steve Gardener
Odd Haugen
Mark Henry
Joel Sword (238 lbs version on 4'' height without tilt)
Brian Shaw (without tilt)
Ivan Krivykh
Alexey Tyukalov
Carl Myerscough (without tilt)

Fip
Sergey Kulyasov
Andrew Durniet
Brian Schoonveld (not exactly, there is a photo)

Hussain Ali

All at 1 rep.

Laine Snook pulled 8 reps with his left and two dumbbells at the same time,

Khalid pulled 5 times with his right without tilt and one rep with his left.

And me.

16 persons overall.

And let's not forget Bader's words that every second person entering his Temple of Grip lift of MDB. Perhaps he will want to add to this list.

Edited by Kashtan
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

Since 2000, the following athletes are known to have lifteded the Millennium or its copy

Steve Gardener
Odd Haugen
Mark Henry
Ivan Krivykh
Alexey Tyukalov

Fip
Sergey Kulyasov
Andrew Durniet

Hussain Ali

All at 1 rep.

And me.

16 persons overall.

And let's not forget Bader's words that every second person entering his Temple of Grip lift of MDB. Perhaps he will want to add to this list.

So 16, I couldn't remember them all from memory.  Either way it doesn't matter it's not many, only the elite of the grip world who have.

Now adding another 55kg on top of that may prove impossible. I'd love to see it lifted though. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

So 16, I couldn't remember them all from memory.  Either way it doesn't matter it's not many, only the elite of the grip world who have.

Now adding another 55kg on top of that may prove impossible. I'd love to see it lifted though. 

Brian in his video say - less then 10 man in the world. And two from this list - without tilt, includes Brian someself.

The dumbbell handle in the video is visually 2 inches. So there is no need for parallels with Millennium. At least straight ones. I asked in the comments on YouTube about the size of the handle - but naturally I won’t get an answer there.
In any case, I believe that this is a task at the limit of a gifted person’s capabilities, but it is doable.
In the case of a handle with a diameter of 2 3/8 inches, this task is most likely not for even gifted people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kashtan said:

Steve Gardener
Odd Haugen
Mark Henry
Ivan Krivykh
Alexey Tyukalov

Fip
Sergey Kulyasov
Andrew Durniet

Hussain Ali

All at 1 rep.

And me.

16 persons overall.

There are around few more. None will be credited without a video. They have their reason not to be on video. I respect their decision. 

Edit: As for the dumbbell, I think it is extremely hard to lift. Not sure if someone can lift it. Kirill did get some decent air on a 150 KG normal handle's dumbbell. And this bell is thicker with added 20 pounds.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

Just now, Alawadhi said:

There are around few more. None will be credited without a video. They have their reason not to be on video. I respect their decision. 

What is their number?

2 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

What is their number?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Therefore - the total number of people in the world known in history who lifted the Millennium in any way is 21. Right?

Are they all from Afghanistan? This 5.

Edited by Kashtan

1 minute ago, Kashtan said:

Therefore - the total number of people in the world known in history who lifted the Millennium in any way is 21. Right?

That are known yeah I guess. Or better yet add one more. There is a Russian who is friend of Ivan (Ivan is the person who lifted the Millennium at my place). Ivan told me his friend is stronger than him with much bigger hands. He showed me his hands against his and wow it should be at least 9.5" hand and not thick which helps with thickbar. Ivan said he can also hook the Millennium. Maybe he has a chance against this bell with hook grip. He told me the name and I added him on IG but can't seem to remember. If there are more I will let you know.

3 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

That are known yeah I guess. Or better yet add one more. There is a Russian who is friend of Ivan (Ivan is the person who lifted the Millennium at my place). Ivan told me his friend is stronger than him with much bigger hands. He showed me his hands against his and wow it should be at least 9.5" hand and not thick which helps with thickbar. Ivan said he can also hook the Millennium. Maybe he has a chance against this bell with hook grip. He told me the name and I added him on IG but can't seem to remember. If there are more I will let you know.

Sergey Kulyasov - possible his friend. His official result on russian axle - 241 kg on competition.

https://hot.mat6tube.com/watch/-86170231_456252238

Very large hands and long fingers - say me Tyukalov once.

If not - maybe better ask to Ivan.

3 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

Sergey Kulyasov - possible his friend. His official result on russian axle - 241 kg on competition.

https://hot.mat6tube.com/watch/-86170231_456252238

Very large hands and long fingers - say me Tyukalov once.

If not - maybe better ask to Ivan.

I found his account on IG and its iliamakarov219. He has his name written in Russian so I don't know if it is Sergey Kulyasov or not. I am taking Ivan's word on his lifts, but I can not confirm anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I found his account on IG and its iliamakarov219. He has his name written in Russian so I don't know if it is Sergey Kulyasov or not. I am taking Ivan's word on his lifts, but I can not confirm anything.

https://www.instagram.com/iliamakarov219/

Very gifted athlete sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kashtan said:

https://www.instagram.com/iliamakarov219/

Very gifted athlete sure. 

I’m going to have two globe dumbbells like the millennium made. I want them crafted out of Tungsten or a very dense steel alloy (so the dumbbell is not cartoonishly large) 

The first one will be painted with 24k gold paint (and be same shape as millennium bell) and weigh 600 pounds. It will be called the Mount Olympus dumbbell. 

The second will be a slightly smaller one which will weigh 475-500 and be painted black with shades of red with a white hand print on it (like the Berserker Orcs in Lord of The Rings). It will be called the Berserker Dumbbell

• Like 1