Two Pinch The Same Results?

AdriaanRobert96

Let me clarify this one, I was thinking since I don’t have enough weight at home atm maybe I should switch from regular implement pinch from the floor to vertical pinch from above.

I obviously can’t handle my weight yet but I’ll use bands as assistance.

My question is: Will it be the same type of pinch as lifting from the floor and will it yield less or more benefits?

I’d imagine pinching your bodyweight would yield something.

Edited by AdriaanRobert96

Hanging and doing pull ups is harder if everything else is the same beacuse you can't brace your body as efficiently as when you're standing on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Hanging and doing pull ups is harder if everything else is the same beacuse you can't brace your body as efficiently as when you're standing on the floor.

That’s a given as you say but what I am wondering more than anything, would doing let’s say ”rafter pull ups/ holds” for pinch increase my pinch of the floor?

Rafter type pullups are very different than from the floor - I found little to no carryover to the Euro etc.  It's a completely different movement.  Would it make you stronger - I think yes - but with little benefit to traditional movements. Pinch off the floor is a highly technical lift - one of the reasons so many struggle with the Euro etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

That’s a given as you say but what I am wondering more than anything, would doing let’s say ”rafter pull ups/ holds” for pinch increase my pinch of the floor?

If your grip gets stronger, you will get stronger it's really not that complicated :D

But there's of course some technique involved also, if you really want to reach your full potential in a lift you need to practice that lift specifically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Only if you don't use compression. Doing a rafter pull up is waaaaay easier than doing a pull up with both hands being in line like a flask pull up since you can use your chest and tuck your elbows in. This puts a bigger emphasis on your fingers and let's you take some load off of the thumbs.

It's a fun party trick but I wouldn't value rafter pull ups for building pinch strength unless that's the only possible way you had to train it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Rafter type pullups are very different than from the floor - I found little to no carryover to the Euro etc.  It's a completely different movement.  Would it make you stronger - I think yes - but with little benefit to traditional movements. Pinch off the floor is a highly technical lift - one of the reasons so many struggle with the Euro etc.

Oh really?

I assumed it would be different, but I thought maybe do it without any compression.

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

If your grip gets stronger, you will get stronger it's really not that complicated :D

But there's of course some technique involved also, if you really want to reach your full potential in a lift you need to practice that lift specifically.

Amen!

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Only if you don't use compression. Doing a rafter pull up is waaaaay easier than doing a pull up with both hands being in line like a flask pull up since you can use your chest and tuck your elbows in. This puts a bigger emphasis on your fingers and let's you take some load off of the thumbs.

It's a fun party trick but I wouldn't value rafter pull ups for building pinch strength unless that's the only possible way you had to train it. 

Yup that’s what I was thinking!

No compression and only focus on hand strength only.

If you had nothing else to train on, rafter pull ups would do in a pinch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two ways to do this and "call it" a rafter pullup.  Palms facing each other and both palms facing away - I would only call both palms away (or both facing) as a legitimate pinch strength test - palms facing each other involves too much chest and doesn't isolate the hands that much.  Palms away is VERY hard but nothing like picking something up - the technique is much different.  I have never personally seen anyone over 200# do a true rafter pullup.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, climber511 said:

There are two ways to do this and "call it" a rafter pullup.  Palms facing each other and both palms facing away - I would only call both palms away (or both facing) as a legitimate pinch strength test - palms facing each other involves too much chest and doesn't isolate the hands that much.  Palms away is VERY hard but nothing like picking something up - the technique is much different.  I have never personally seen anyone over 200# do a true rafter pullup.  

Everyone I've seen do the harder version is under 150. I could do them but can't anymore, I was around 144 at the time but I'm 160 these days. I can still do the "easy" version pretty consistently. The hard version is a very rare feat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Everyone I've seen do the harder version is under 150. I could do them but can't anymore, I was around 144 at the time but I'm 160 these days. I can still do the "easy" version pretty consistently. The hard version is a very rare feat

When I was climbing at my best in the mid to late 80s - I could do them both ways at around 180 - 185#.  It was not something I could do every time I tried.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, climber511 said:

Alright so I kind of tried it, and I won’t do palms facing each other but palms facing away feels kind of odd on the wrist.

What about palms facing me?

image.thumb.jpg.ef967e3774d99603c4dac295ffe21b73.jpg

Palms facing you is a little easier since you can use more wrist flexion. Palms away is tough because of how extended your wrist gets which decreases grip strength. You can help a little by leaning back as far as you can, like almost starting to do a front lever and that puts your wrists in a more neutral postion

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Palms facing you is a little easier since you can use more wrist flexion. Palms away is tough because of how extended your wrist gets which decreases grip strength. You can help a little by leaning back as far as you can, like almost starting to do a front lever and that puts your wrists in a more neutral postion

Oh alright I get it then, thank you!

I’ll have to stick with this for a while now before I buy more weights🫡