The Grip Show (Jedd Johnson)

ZRMMA

This upcoming weeks interview will be with @Jedd Johnson

Here we are discussing who has the Strongest Grip ever.... clearly understand the context of this topic and we understand how subjective or opinion based it is. Here Jedd gives his thoughts about two of the strongest grip to ever compete in Grip.

COMMENT OR TAG your opinion below!!!!! 

• Like 6

While I can’t disagree with anything that Jedd says about Andrew or Chad, there are two contests with empirical data provided that are not discussed much, in which both of them went head to head against Mike Burke.

The 2013 Los Angeles Fit Expo, results on Armlifting USA website under “results”: and Richard Sorin’s writeup on this forum under “Contests” in March of 2014 for the Mighty Mitts contest at The Arnold.

Burke was the runaway winner at both venues. I don’t think he actually “trained” specifically for either contest,  he just showed up and did his thing.

At the 2014 Fit Expo in LA, he told me he had only lifted weights for four years. When I said “Really?”, he said “yes”. He was a freak of nature.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 4

Absolutely Burke is a monster.. this is just a clip of Jedd speaking and I think he was more trying to limit it to guys that were more so competing in gripsport/active at the time. So I think he was leaving out a lot of pro or former pro strongmen etc and kind of just naming pure grip guys. 

great example you bring up and I know the competitions you are referring to. 

I would still say Burke has had one of the strongest grips ever. Closest we've seen to a double inch clean by far! The man is insane.. I spoke to Adam Glass and that was mentioned in his interview etc. 

Great input thank you!

Edited by ZRMMA
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ZRMMA said:

Absolutely Burke is a monster.. this is just a clip of Jedd speaking and I think he was more trying to limit it to guys that were more so competing in gripsport/active at the time. So I think he was leaving out a lot of pro or former pro strongmen etc and kind of just naming pure grip guys. 

great example you bring up and I know the competitions you are referring to. 

I would still say Burke has had one of the strongest grips ever. Closest we've seen to a double inch clean by far! The man is insane.. I spoke to Adam Glass and that was mentioned in his interview etc. 

Great input thank you!

Oh, I agree. Mike Burke was not a "grip guy" for sure. And I doubt if he wanted to be. But he decisively beat all comers in just about everything. On the day that Alexey set the World Rolling Thunder record, he edged out Burke on that one, but Mike won the contest. But the 2014 Mighty Mitts dominant display was way out there, as the best in the world were hand-picked, and showed up. We'll never know what we missed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

While I can’t disagree with anything that Jedd says about Andrew or Chad, there are two contests with empirical data provided that are not discussed much, in which both of them went head to head against Mike Burke.

The 2013 Los Angeles Fit Expo, results on Armlifting USA website under “results”: and Richard Sorin’s writeup on this forum under “Contests” in March of 2014 for the Mighty Mitts contest at The Arnold.

Burke was the runaway winner at both venues. I don’t think he actually “trained” specifically for either contest,  he just showed up and did his thing.

At the 2014 Fit Expo in LA, he told me he had only lifted weights for four years. When I said “Really?”, he said “yes”. He was a freak of nature.

My statement was based on the specific time period we were focusing on - 2003-2010 - and only Grip guys, specifically EXCLUDING anybody that came from Pro Strongman or other strength sports.  This narrowing is not clearly stated in the clip or in the interview, but that thought is how I formulated my response.  Mainly I was looking at the contemporary grip sport guys I competed with during that era. The answer changes dramatically, if we're pulling in any and all athletes that have ever set foot on a grip stage.

• Like 1