Alexander Koss - Level 2

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Alexander Koss

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 2

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Name: Alexander Koss
Height: 183cm 6ft
Weight: 92kg or around 200lbs
Date of Feat: 12.09.2023
How Long Grip Training: Around 2.5 years
Current Grip Training Program: Freestyle, closing grippers when rested (2-5 times weekly), varying reps and resistance
Other Training Info: Gym around 3-4 times weekly

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I started workout out when I was around 18. It was more of a fun thing rather than serious training, I just wanted to look decently fit.
Only around late 2020 before the second lockdown I decided to take gym training to the next level and get strong :D

How did you get into grip training?

When the second 2020 lockdown hit I didn't know what to do. My motivation was high but gyms were closed, and I am not a huge fan of home workouts (they can't really replace strength training, unless you have proper equipment).
So I thought I could train something new - my forearms! And thought grippers were the way to go about it :)

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

I would recommend anyone aspiring to go for the MM2 to master grippers in the 160s RGC range. The MM2 is definitely somewhere in that range. When you MM close grippers at 165+, I believe you are 100% ready for the MM2!

What does your current grip routine look like?

I used to have a very distinct system back when I certified the MM1, now I just train according to how I feel. If I feel strong, I usually go for heavy
closes from deep sets or chokers, sometimes MMS as well. Other days I might practice wider sets as well, but much less than deeper sets.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

It has changed from training twice a week according to a strict system to training once a week to now training 2-5 times a week :D I feel like my
current routine yields the best results if performed regularly.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

I personally feel like it all depends on the intensity. If you fry your hands by doing 50 sets of max reps, you won't be able to train the next day.
On the other hand, closing something heavy for 3-5 sets can be performed two and even three days in a row sometimes.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Grippers. I also enjoy rolling and twisting handles of all kinds, but grippers are always the focus of my training.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

Probably to train regularly and every other day. Simple as that :) Also, the technique has to be on point, that's even more important than the
training frequency.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Insane gripper feats like the closes performed by Carl Myerscough and Tiziano Becchio, as well as closes by many many other talented athletes.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

Probably train a bit more often and more regularly, but overall I like the way everything's going :)

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

To me - closes from wider sets. Especially no set closes.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

A choked Standard W (190) for 6 micro reps from a deep set and a MM3 replica (182) close.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Quitting too early :D

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

GHP10 (256) close and CoC#4 (220) CCS close by Carl Myerscough hands down.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Keep at it and go for MM certs! They're fun and awesome :)

IMG_4422.JPG

Alexander Koss, the 69th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 2

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Alex K said:

Thanks! Ended up being the 69th MM2, nice :D

michael-rosen.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you! That’s for sure. I have gained some strength from my last attempt, it’s really interesting to compare side by side. First set could’ve potentially been 3 reps, I didn’t want to risk messing things up by freestyling :D 

• Like 3

Great job Alex!

• Thanks 1