So That's How You Do It

EricMilfeld

I stumbled across this technique enhancement of which some of you may already be aware. But it's new to me, and boy did it increase my leverage. I credit it with helping me to bend the 240, as well as making a grade 5 feel like butter last night. Here it is: It applies to the reverse grip style. With your bracing hand, or the hand held closest to the floor, if you start with the nail below waist level, position the end of the nail on your palm itself, as opposed to the bottom of the fingers as I had been doing. This provides for a much more secure brace, and therefore better leverage. I guess when I was positioning the nail in my left fingers, they had a tendency to open up, spoiling the bend from the start. I think this change also has reduced the torque on my bracing wrist.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Please take a pic of this. I'm trying to imagine it.

I guess I could, but comparing a picture of my old with my new technique would show no difference. My hand is clenched over a nail which has been repositioned by only 1/4" or so.

Think of it like this: As I bend the nail with my right hand, the opposite end of the nail tends to lift into the base of my left fingers with the old style, but now with the technique correction, the nail is pushing into my palm, just below the base of my fingers. So finger opening is no longer as much of an issue with the left hand.

Does this help? I guess what I really need is a digital video camera. ;)

Er, not really.

But it makes such perfect sense in my head! What's wrong with you?!!! :laugh Perhaps if your head was as messed up as mine, this would all appear as clear as crystal. Okay, maybe after New Year's I'll get a little spare time to shoot some photos.

if I get it correctly, its similar to carrying farmers implement for instance in your palm instead of in your fingers.

I will try it, Eric.

oh and congrats again on your huge progression.