Elbow discomfort and how to fix it?

AdriaanRobert96

So recently I’ve dealt with some elbow discomfort, could be from bicep curls, grippers .. who knows

I am willing to bet it has something to do with my increased weight on bicep curls, I have progressed to doing 15x3 with 15kg + fat gripz extreme on it.

Only thing I’ve changed recently hence me believing it’s it.

Last time I had discomfort I used to do 20-25 rep weighted supinations with a db and weight on one end.

If you would happen to have more advice I’d greatly appreciate it, hence this post👍🏼

Thank you!

Edited by AdriaanRobert96

Have you tried taking a break from doing the bicep curls for a while to see if that fixes the problem?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Get Jedd Johnson's "fixing elbow pain"

This. 

• Like 1

Bicep curls and grippers will give inflammation on different places on the elbow. Bicep curls, particularly if you're using fatgripz will give it on the inside also known as "golfers elbow" and grippers will give it on the outside also known as "tennis elbow".

You should avoid doing exercises that triggers that. So stop using fatgripz on the bicep curls and just train fatbar deadlifts instead (after you have rested). I can guarantee you if you keep pushing it you will regret it.

This is a very common problem you get from thick bar training. 

I wouldn't do any bicep curls with thick grip if this was a problem for me. Actually the best way to avoid this is to grip the handles further into your hand. Which you can't do with thick bar (thats what causes the problem in the first place).

• Thanks 2

I second (third at this point?) Jedd Johnson's "fixing elbow pain."  That and a good strong liniment got me right as rain before Heavy Hands.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Where? Is it the common tennis or golf elbow?

My bad, forgot to be more specific but it’s more of a golfer elbow so on the inside hence the high rep supinations feels amazing for it😅

2 hours ago, EmilBB said:

Have you tried taking a break from doing the bicep curls for a while to see if that fixes the problem?

Didn’t try no to workout, it’s hard to not do it tbh.. if nothing else works out I’ll do that😅

2 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Get Jedd Johnson's "fixing elbow pain"

Didn’t know that existed, will give that a look thank you!

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Bicep curls and grippers will give inflammation on different places on the elbow. Bicep curls, particularly if you're using fatgripz will give it on the inside also known as "golfers elbow" and grippers will give it on the outside also known as "tennis elbow".

You should avoid doing exercises that triggers that. So stop using fatgripz on the bicep curls and just train fatbar deadlifts instead (after you have rested). I can guarantee you if you keep pushing it you will regret it.

This is a very common problem you get from thick bar training. 

I wouldn't do any bicep curls with thick grip if this was a problem for me. Actually the best way to avoid this is to grip the handles further into your hand. Which you can't do with thick bar (thats what causes the problem in the first place).

Yeah this definitely makes sense, altho I started doing fat gripz curls to “cure” my elbow pain which it did but now it reappeared 😕

I’ll have to lay off the fat gripz then, don’t wanna mess up my gripper work since I am not done with those yet by a long stretch😅

Thanks bud!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yeah this definitely makes sense, altho I started doing fat gripz curls to “cure” my elbow pain which it did but now it reappeared 😕

I’ll have to lay off the fat gripz then, don’t wanna mess up my gripper work since I am not done with those yet by a long stretch😅

Thanks bud!

Yes do minimal work on fatbar if you want to peak on grippers for sure. It's very hard to combine and fatbar is extremely easy to overtrain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes do minimal work on fatbar if you want to peak on grippers for sure. It's very hard to combine and fatbar is extremely easy to overtrain.

I can also confirm that doing curls without fat bar relieved the pain so that’s that😅

20 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I can also confirm that doing curls without fat bar relieved the pain so that’s that😅

You can get this from doing that as well. It's about using your fingertips. If you stress your fingertips a lot like you do when training thick bar you get this. Even if the bar is thin (if you grip if very far out, or let it roll out far on your fingertips). That's why you should grip a barbell far in to your hand if this is a problem for you.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Haha 1

For golfers elbow, even tho it sounds crazy…get a band and arm wrestle it with a hook style. Side pressure with a light band will heal it faster than anything. Even if you just hold an isometric.

• Like 1

I agree with Jedd's recipes, they helped me.   But, a formal diagnosis from a Doctor is probably best.  Then, listen to us internet types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

You can get this from doing that as well. It's about using your fingertips. If you stress your fingertips a lot like you do when training thick bar you get this. Even if the bar is thin (if you grip if very far out, or let it roll out far on your fingertips). That's why you should grip a barbell far in to your hand if this is a problem for you.

Yup that’s dead on, more towards fingertips the more pressure.. I’ll stick to regular bicep curls for a while and maybe even drop a the weight a little..

Addi high rep tricep extensions with bands feels amazing aswell!

4 hours ago, slazbob said:

For golfers elbow, even tho it sounds crazy…get a band and arm wrestle it with a hook style. Side pressure with a light band will heal it faster than anything. Even if you just hold an isometric.

Is that really so, I’d argue in my head that it would worse it😅

I’ll try and go very easy then👌🏼

3 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

I agree with Jedd's recipes, they helped me.   But, a formal diagnosis from a Doctor is probably best.  Then, listen to us internet types.

Yeah, I’ve always been that type to auto-regulate and  self diagnose based on experience😂

Not the smartest, but I’ve managed to fix myself up and balance my issues out all these years😅 

13 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Is that really so, I’d argue in my head that it would worse it😅

I’ll try and go very easy then👌🏼

Arm wrestlers been doing it a long time. Sometimes you flare up and just need to rest a bit until the inflammation goes down-especially if you don’t usually have issues with this.  But,  in a chronic situation, this works best. imbalances in the muscles around the entire forearm are 💯 why you usually get either one of the elbow pains. Eccentric training they say is the best for tendons…or isometrics. It’s also a small area and sometimes the body just doesn’t prioritize it so it sticks around unless you really trigger an inflammation response. Rest can only take you so far, and you end up babying the spot until you’re handcuffed by it. Start light and feel the movement out then the pain will go away when the blood starts flowing in there with a nice hold of side pressure. 
up to you, it works for me…I had chronic elbow pain for a year until I started using this. and high rep wrist rolling both ways to keep it away.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, slazbob said:

Arm wrestlers been doing it a long time. Sometimes you flare up and just need to rest a bit until the inflammation goes down-especially if you don’t usually have issues with this.  But,  in a chronic situation, this works best. imbalances in the muscles around the entire forearm are 💯 why you usually get either one of the elbow pains. Eccentric training they say is the best for tendons…or isometrics. It’s also a small area and sometimes the body just doesn’t prioritize it so it sticks around unless you really trigger an inflammation response. Rest can only take you so far, and you end up babying the spot until you’re handcuffed by it. Start light and feel the movement out then the pain will go away when the blood starts flowing in there with a nice hold of side pressure. 
up to you, it works for me…I had chronic elbow pain for a year until I started using this. and high rep wrist rolling both ways to keep it away.

Dang, well said now you have me on this😅Thanks legend!

• Like 1

Everybody is pretty much right. Rest is the exact opposite of what soft tissue injuries require especially tendons. Eccentric and isometric exercises in the weight ranges that keep your pain below about a 3/10 is the cliff notes for tendon healing. Combine that with heat and massage and patience and it will heal in time and you'll be back stronger than ever

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1