Alexey Tyukalov Certifies on the Crushed-To-Dust! Plus Challenge - The First!

Bill Piche

that hub is caked in chalk, part of the rules are that the hub has to be wiped clean to remove any chalk. the hub is literally white..CTD+ has the same rules as the original CTD..

20230905_172521.jpg

Edited by C8Myotome

42 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

that hub is caked in chalk, part of the rules are that the hub has to be wiped clean to remove any chalk. the hub is literally white..CTD+ has the same rules as the original CTD..

It's a good call out. The rules do seem pretty clear that chalk is allowed on the hand, but the implement was supposed to be wiped clean. I thought it was interesting Rolling Thunder rule #5 specifically says that you cannot chalk the implement directly. The hub rules curiously don't say that exactly, but do say you can only chalk your hand. I was looking for wiggle room because the rules do seem set up to capture a contest setting. Like they mention a referee which was obviously not present in this case. The wiping could be contest focused and meant to reset for each athlete. But, taking the rules at face value, it really does seem like the hub should have been clean.      

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It's a good call out. The rules do seem pretty clear that chalk is allowed on the hand, but the implement was supposed to be wiped clean. I thought it was interesting Rolling Thunder rule #5 specifically says that you cannot chalk the implement directly. The hub rules curiously don't say that exactly, but do say you can only chalk your hand. I was looking for wiggle room because the rules do seem set up to capture a contest setting. Like they mention a referee which was obviously not present in this case. The wiping could be contest focused and meant to reset for each athlete. Taking the rules at face value, it really does seem like the hub should have been clean.      

"The rolling thunder must be wiped clean before each attempt" https://ironmind.com/certification/crushed-to-dust-challenge/rules-for-certification/ which he did not do either even though it was clear there was no chalk on it, that is still another rule that was not abided by either which would leave room for sketchiness. He did use calibrated plates but there was also no weighing of them either on camera, and it looked like he was alone. A calibrated plate could be tampered with. I'm not really doubting this guy could have done all of it perfectly fine based on his credentials, I'm just merely pointing out very obvious rule breaks, as other people seem to be noticing already as well, that anyone else would get flagged for. I've had ctd attempts rejected for forgetting to wipe the hub clean before and the same rules apply for CTD+ so I am baffled as to why they considered this passing when it breaks the own rules they set in place for the challenge, with no question about it at all because it's right there to look at.

42 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

"The rolling thunder must be wiped clean before each attempt" https://ironmind.com/certification/crushed-to-dust-challenge/rules-for-certification/ which he did not do either even though it was clear there was no chalk on it, that is still another rule that was not abided by either which would leave room for sketchiness. He did use calibrated plates but there was also no weighing of them either on camera, and it looked like he was alone. A calibrated plate could be tampered with. I'm not really doubting this guy could have done all of it perfectly fine based on his credentials, I'm just merely pointing out very obvious rule breaks, as other people seem to be noticing already as well, that anyone else would get flagged for. I've had ctd attempts rejected for forgetting to wipe the hub clean before and the same rules apply for CTD+ so I am baffled as to why they considered this passing when it breaks the own rules they set in place for the challenge, with no question about it at all because it's right there to look at.

That's what Ironmind does. They set up a specific set of rules. If they like you it passes even if you're not really following them 100%. If they don't like you it will not pass, even if you're following the rules, they will just change them.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

This is a gnarly certification. Wow. 

You wonder if there is anyone else fully capable right now of doing this. 77 pounds on the Hub may be the hardest part for the really strong guys. It is a learned skill that takes practice. 

The first time I ever met Alexey was June 30, 2003 (same day I first met Amy Wattles as well). That was the day that he set the current year World Record on the RT. I pulled 69 pounds that day on the Hub.  Alexey and Mike Burke both pulled 64. I came in last in the Rolling Thunder. I met Alexey a couple other times after that. I like Alexey. Despite the rules, I don't know why, I hope it stands. Ten years ago, I was very vocal about IronMind Hub rules. I don't care any more. I really enjoy the way the Finns lift the Hub, the same way that Alexey did. Absolute Dominance. I was never a fan of chalking the device, but was always a huge advocate for chalking the hands. Who knows? Maybe some of that vocalizing  I did 10-12 years ago had an impact on the the rules for the Hub.

Hasbeen Hubgeezer

• Like 1

I can pull 80 on a chalked hub, now I just need the 250 RT...40lbs to go 🙃

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

250 on RT is unfathomable to me. 

Back on the day that Alexey set the World Record with 130.5 kgs. MIKE BURKE pulled 125 kgs., and FAILED at 130.5. I wonder if he regrets trying to clean two Inch Dumbbells (one in each hand) about an hour before he contest. I would estimate he had 10 attempts between the two rounds/sets he tried. the second set I have seen video of. The first round/set was not videotaped, and there were only about five of us watching. It was awesome. 

Alexey's style on the RT was unlike anything anyone had ever seen. It was like a fast hydraulic lift done by a professional boxer. My step-grandson, a friend of his, and my wife (a rare grip contest attendance for her), all referred to him as "that Russian". They knew nothing about these matters, but it was as if he was more impressive than Burke coming out of the chutes. Burke won, Alexey was second. 

I pulled 83 kgs, failed at 88. One other fellow, a friend of my son's, and a 6 foot three inch general gym rat, tied for last in the RT.

The RT was the opening event. From the viewpoint of a spectator, it was mind-boggling. If there was anyone that "deserves" to be the first, it is Alexey. No doubt you can see a bias. That particular RT was by no means an "easy one". At that time, I was regularly pulling 200 plus on my RT at home. I was shocked how hard that one felt that day. 

• Like 3

My understanding of the rules having spoken in the past with Randall about it is that the implement must be wiped clean between attempts. However then during your 1 minute attempt window you can apply chalk to it. Since you can have unlimited attempts there is obviously transfer potential anyway. Then after your attempt it will be wiped again for the next person. The exception specifically applies to the rolling thunder where it states no chalk can be applied to the implement. That wording I think only appears in the RT rules as they don't want people attempting to stuff chalk down the side and stop it rotating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1