New Grippers

Rick Walker

Got my step-son the #1-#4 for Christmas. Bought them from Elite Ftiness Systems, Inc., Dave is a good friend of mine and a sponsor of BFGS, so I send him business when ever possible.

They have the Captains Of Crush around the handles.

Keep in mind that I cannot set grippers yet without pain. Grabbed the #1-stout. Very good #1-one of the toughest I have felt. Grabbed the #2-much of the same. Good tough #2.

The #3. Grabbed it, inspected it, spring looks to be normal depth, normal handle spread. I figure it is going to be easy. WRONG. This thing feels like an ELITE. The toughest #3 I have messed with to date, YES, Harder than Tommys #3!

I tried my best to set it and was within a 1/4 inch from closing it. Wow. Went and fetched my #3s. Even with a terrible set I was able to close them. I will need my A game to get this puppy-and I have closed the ELITE. Yeah, its that bad.

The #4? Dont know yet, its on back order and should be here sometime soon.

Rick Walker :rock

Rick, I am glad to hear you have experienced the same thing with your step-sons new #3. I got another #2, 2 #3's and a #4 for christmass, one of the new #3's is very hard I assume it is probably the same as the new one you are talking about. I picked up my old #3 and mashed it easily with both hands, then I tried one of the new ones and WOW is it a lot harder. I will bring them next time I visit, we can compare them. I have not tried the other new #3 yet, if it is the same I will have a pair of insane #3's. I hope to mash the first one I tried this week. :rock

I also recently purchased a new #3, and it is extremely difficult to perform negatives because even with both hands and rubbing it against my thigh I can barely shut it closed, whereas the only other #3 that I have trained with requires much less force to close it.

I wasnt going to post this anywhere.....but, some people know, I have mentioned my #3, that I have had for almost 2 years , the one with one side a full 1/4 inch longer than the other. My wife (of all people, and Old Guy in a post from several months ago) told me to e-mail Ironmind , I reminded her I have had this gripper for almost 2 years! Needless to say I e-mailed, and explained my problem, less than 24 hours later Dr. Strossen e-mailed me and said to send it back , not only would they replace it , but they would cover the shipping! Now maybe everyone else is used to this kind of customer service, but not me! They have a customer for life because of that! OK, now back to the thread, I have mentioned several hundred (maybe several thousand ) times how I was within a 1/8 inch from closing the #@#@#@@# gripper, but to no avail, and of course it was the hardest #3 in the history of grippers (even though I had never tried another one). :dry So in less then a week my brand new COC #3 arrives (I did not touch a gripper for three days), I am pumped, warmed up, and give it my best squeeze right down to a #@#@#@#@#@#@# 1/8 of an inch!!!! But in all honesty, it does feel much smoother. Thats my story, sorry about the ramble, but I swear it all happened! :D Mike

My new #3 should be on my doorstep by tommorow... I am guessing that it will be one of the newer engraved+stamped COC's, I keep hearing that these are, for the most part, considerably more difficult than the older COC's.

I have noticed the same thing that all of you guys have. When I first started with grippers I bought a trainer and thought is was very easy, so I decided in my uneducated and overconfident mind I would skip the "measily #1" and go stright to the #2. What a mistake. I stuck with it though and after a long battle finally closed the #2 without ever touching a #1. Eventually my friend bought a #1 and I tried it and decided I didnt need one because it wasnt much more difficult than my trainer. Well my parents completed my gripper collection for me this christmas and holy cow is this #1 hard. Compared to my friends it is like a 1.5

I wasnt going to post this anywhere.....but, some people know, I have mentioned my #3, that I have had for almost 2 years , the one with one side a full 1/4 inch longer than the other. My wife (of all people, and Old Guy in a post from several months ago) told me to e-mail Ironmind , I reminded her I have had this gripper for almost 2 years! Needless to say I e-mailed, and explained my problem, less than 24 hours later Dr. Strossen e-mailed me and said to send it back , not only would they replace it , but they would cover the shipping! Now maybe everyone else is used to this kind of customer service, but not me! They have a customer for life because of that!

Very typical of IronMind's service. Top notch.

I reckon it's about time for me to get a new #3. I hope it's a hard one too. It sounds like IronMind realized alot of people were starting to close the #3's. So they made a whole new batch thats alot harder. Just my guess. But I want to be able to close one of thse harder #3's before I certify.

Oh yea, there is a huge conspirancy at IM making harder grippers one week and easier ones the next. GRIPPERS VARY. Show me an EASY #3 and you'll be showing me a defective gripper, not a run of the mill gripper.

No wonder Strossen gets pissed. :dry

This is getting as lame as the World Class argument. "It will be closed!" "I'll close it!" "No way!" "I'm a guy who has never seen a WC but I bet I could close it someday!" give us all a break. :dry

Go ahead and order multiple #3's in search for that "easy" or "hard" #3/#4 etc... Yea, it'll be a little diff., but not really worth the $. Hell, you got a good chance of getting a gripper that will seem identicle. Man, that will piss you off! If you really want a gripper with a diff strength, just get a gripper with the desired wire diameter. If you're really specific get a custom gripper from the gripper guru.

This is a dead horse that people just love to line up to beat...man, this is getting old....

If your offended...sorry. But please, read the old posts, this is getting so redundant!

-HH :cry:whacked

The new #3s are better though, they say "Captains of Crush" around the ring in case you forgot what you were crushing.

Patrick-

My post was not a personal assault. Don't take it that way. Have you read all the past posts? If you have and you reread this thread I'm sure you'll agree with my statments. I have seen many intresting topics ruined by going back and beating dead horses. Mabey the newer guy's don't know that they are beating dead horses... :erm

And I will say again, It is not suprising that IM get's frusterated. Hell, I'm frusterated...

If you want a real good example go to the faq section and read the "gripper ranking" thread. This is a great examp. of a potentially outstanding thread that was ruined by beating dead horses.

-HH

How is it an argument at all? I have yet to see any argueing. Everyone whos been around the gripboard knows grippers vary. Besides Newbies of course. I personally wish they made harder grippers. I guess thats why I like Bill's Mash Monster Gripper. theres no way you can have one guy crush an easy one. If it's just the same gripper passed around.

Anyway, it still doesnt chhange the fact that this new Batch of grippers seem too be harder. I just hope I can get my hands on them before there sold out :happy