Adam Glass on The Grip Show

ZRMMA

The fastest 3+ hours of my life. Great episode!

• Like 5

@ZRMMA discovered these videos last night. You're doing a great job with these.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John McCarter said:

@ZRMMA discovered these videos last night. You're doing a great job with these.

Thanks for that... Just trying to get more coverage for the sport, maintain its history, and just do some things that other grip style shows haven't done before. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

Thanks for that... Just trying to get more coverage for the sport, maintain its history, and just do some things that other grip style shows haven't done before. 

This is was an amazing podcast.. 

I've really liked all of them so far.   This is the greatest sport and community. Thanks for doing these interviews.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 4:32 PM, stranger said:

The fastest 3+ hours of my life. Great episode!

Just watched the whole thing start to finish.  Flew by.  Awesome to hear the discussion of so many topics...grip/personal history, thoughts on contests/formats, future of the sport, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have to mention this because it was a highlight of my grip life. Adam mentions early in this interview that nobody ever beat him in Minneapolis and I actually did. :ph34r:

It was during a World's Strongest Hands leg in September 2011. I was competing against Glass (93kg at the time) and Chris Mathison (120+ at the time). Adam missed his 2hp opener and recorded no score for that lift. I figured that opened the door for a second place finish behind Mathison. And this is why you actually hold the contest, right? Head-to-head with Chris Mathison, we both scored great lifts in each event, but I simply beat him in the GripTopz lifts. It was Coin and Stub and those lifts suited me and are really not very bodyweight dependent lifts. I beat him by more on the Coin and Stub lifts then he beat me in the Vulcan and 2HP lifts. Overall, I got more points by a very small margin and won the contest. I'm telling yuh.... glory days right there.

Make no mistake, those guys crushed me in the overall WSH outcome. But that day.. at that contest.. I'll be telling my great grandchildren about that day :blush   

Nothing but respect for @AdamTGlass. He is one of the people I met early on and has inspired me ever since. Excellent and enthralling interview. 

• Like 7

At the end of the interview now and Adam actually mentioned the scratch. I do believe in my heart that it's more accurate to say he beat himself. And with WSH I don't think you "win" the individual legs anyway. But the contests that Adam held in his gym including some grip decathlons are some of my best memories in the sport.  

Man this was a good interview. I recommend literally the entire thing to everyone.  

• Like 3

I eventually got through it all, very enjoyable. 

I first heard of Adam when “Rex”, a once active member of the Gripboard whose member name was “The Natural”, would needle Adam’s respect for old time strongmen. Rex was highly intelligent, very strong, and enjoyed jerking on others’ chains.

In 2009, when I was speaking to Stan Pleskun aka Stanless Steel on the phone, Stan told me that he was regularly talking to a fellow named Adam from Minnesota. Stan really liked “Adam from Minnesota”, and Stan was telling me about Adam’s two inch vertical bar lift that he appeared to be lifting roughly 100 pounds more than what anyone else in the world was doing. But this Adam guy was treating Stan way more respectfully than many at the time were. That told me that Adam Glass was a Class Act…

I especially liked Adam’s candid comments on “gear”, very straightforward, not afraid to pull any punches..

Nice job!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I first heard of Adam when “Rex”, a once active member of the Gripboard whose member name was “The Natural”, would needle Adam’s respect for old time strongmen. Rex was highly intelligent, very strong, and enjoyed jerking on others’ chains.

You're right about yanking chains but there was no denying his athletic chops. This thread is a fun read. 5k (19 Min 48 Sec). 2/28/2015

7 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I eventually got through it all, very enjoyable. 

In 2009, when I was speaking to Stan Pleskun aka Stanless Steel on the phone, Stan told me that he was regularly talking to a fellow named Adam from Minnesota. Stan really liked “Adam from Minnesota”, and Stan was telling me about Adam’s two inch vertical bar lift that he appeared to be lifting roughly 100 pounds more than what anyone else in the world was doing. But this Adam guy was treating Stan way more respectfully than many at the time were. That told me that Adam Glass was a Class Act…

I especially liked Adam’s candid comments on “gear”, very straightforward, not afraid to pull any punches..

Nice job!

Anyone know what Rex is up to these days? Very intelligent and funny. Not to mention strong. That guy did the cleanest sledgehammer deadlift with a 12 lbs sledge I’ve ever seen anyone do. Kept it perfectly level from the pick up all the way up to lockout. 

• Like 1