What are the benefits of deep sets?

AdriaanRobert96

Hey there folks, I’d love to have your perspective and experiences with deep sets, how deep is a deep set, what are the risks and potential benefits and does it carry over to full closes?

I’ve always done wide sets and ccs exclusively which has worked well for me (i am currently closing the #3.5 at a wide and almost a credit card set..

It’s actually been @Carl Myerscough that introduced me to these the last month or so, Carl you’re more than welcome to leave your perspective on it aswell👌🏼

Aswell is anyone else that got the experience with deep sets, thank you in advance❤️

5 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hey there folks, I’d love to have your perspective and experiences with deep sets, how deep is a deep set, what are the risks and potential benefits and does it carry over to full closes?

I’ve always done wide sets and ccs exclusively which has worked well for me (i am currently closing the #3.5 at a wide and almost a credit card set..

It’s actually been @Carl Myerscough that introduced me to these the last month or so, Carl you’re more than welcome to leave your perspective on it aswell👌🏼

Aswell is anyone else that got the experience with deep sets, thank you in advance❤️

I used to think full range would be better also, but when I started working deep sets I did improve. I think what is uniquely challenging with grippers is the variable resistance through the range. A bench press weighs 500lb at the top middle or bottom, but a gripper that might take 220rgc to close requires much less force through the first half. 

For me I consider deep set to be about parallel or below my heaviest deep set closes I estimated about 17mm. Deeper than that I think is less helpful and you get less carry over. 

The main advantage of a deep set is you can close harder grippers and then slowly open the hand after the last rep (controlled eccentric) to bring about strength gains.

Closing from deep set though will not translate immediately to ccs,you have to go through a period of adjustment and training with the credit card.  Deep set Closing the ghp 10 at 256 and ccs the #4 220 maybe comparable in difficulty but I could do neither at the same time. Each took a specific block in lead up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Carl Myerscough said:

I used to think full range would be better also, but when I started working deep sets I did improve. I think what is uniquely challenging with grippers is the variable resistance through the range. A bench press weighs 500lb at the top middle or bottom, but a gripper that might take 220rgc to close requires much less force through the first half. 

For me I consider deep set to be about parallel or below my heaviest deep set closes I estimated about 17mm. Deeper than that I think is less helpful and you get less carry over. 

The main advantage of a deep set is you can close harder grippers and then slowly open the hand after the last rep (controlled eccentric) to bring about strength gains.

Closing from deep set though will not translate immediately to ccs,you have to go through a period of adjustment and training with the credit card.  Deep set Closing the ghp 10 at 256 and ccs the #4 220 maybe comparable in difficulty but I could do neither at the same time. Each took a specific block in lead up.

This is golden, appreciate the in depth explaining which sums it up very well and makes sense✊🏼

I do appreciate every bit of advice and I will todays lesson wisely, thank you legend👍🏼