Gripper training to cert the #4

Carl Myerscough

This is the gripper workout plan that got me to the cert. Several caveats, this is not for beginners! I didn't need all the volume earlier in my journey, after I got stuck a few years ago at around a 209ccs it became necessary then to force further adaptation with more extreme training.

These are the numbers from week 7 and then the cert was week 8:

T × 8

#1 × 3

#2 × 3

#2.5 × 3

146 × 3

163 × 1

182 × 1

203 × 1 ccs

220 x 1 ccs

182 x 9 ccs

187 x 9 deep set(grip genie)

All the warm ups sets before the ccs are medium depth. The ccs after the top set is to failure, not a particular number of reps, so weeks 6 and 7 were 9 but before that it was 8, 7 etc, same for the second drop set then on the 187, week before was 7 then 6, 5.

After the 182 ccs x 9 my hand is trashed, thus making the grip genie 187 challenging and I did this to work the last bit of the close with the thinner handles. If I did the 187 before the ccs rep set I might be able to get 20, but I'm that deep into fatigue at that point its not so easy. This was necessary to make improvement.

Earlier in the year I used the same basic plan but instead of the ccs' were max effort deep sets when I worked upto the 256 ghp10. That would be followed by a max deepset set 216 x 8 being my best. 

I try to only push 6-8 weeks and then start back lighter with higher reps and re- build. The thinking was get my deep set upto a whole new level and then convert that basic strength to the specific strength needed for the ccs.

Assistance exercises were at the end of the gripper workout, band extensions holding the fingers together trying to closely resemble the reverse movement of a gripper close. About 8 sets of 6 working up through the different colors and then 3 x 6 with double red bands.

The other assistance exercise I would do at the end of Mondays workout, (grippers were friday or sat) was standing reverse wrist curls holding the bar in a reverse curl position at 90° out from the body and then curling the wrists up and down. 4 sets of 6. 45lb x 6, 65lb x 6, 95 x 6, 105 x 6.

Rest periods were always 3-5 minutes between all sets. So about 45 minutes to complete the gripper portion.

One tip that might help someone is that between the early warm up sets I would grab a plate and do 3 standing wrist curls, overhand pushing the plate towards the body. Not heavy, I would do the Trainer then 10lb, #1, 25lb, #2, 45, #2.5 55lb and then stop with those. The purpose was to add some rigidity to the hand and pump up the thumb pad a little for better leverage.

All sets were done aswell with the left hand and equal reps, they would just not be all closed at the top end.

I always did right hand first and then left.

Like I warned at the beginning, I would wake up the next day barely able to make a fist and move my hand and there would be soreness and tenderness every week for 3 to 5 days.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Very cool workout program, looks very intense.

• Like 1

Interesting approach you have Carl.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carl Myerscough said:

This is the gripper workout plan that got me to the cert. Several caveats, this is not for beginners! I didn't need all the volume earlier in my journey, after I got stuck a few years ago at around a 209ccs it became necessary then to force further adaptation with more extreme training.

These are the numbers from week 7 and then the cert was week 8:

T × 8

#1 × 3

#2 × 3

#2.5 × 3

146 × 3

163 × 1

182 × 1

203 × 1 ccs

220 x 1 ccs

182 x 9 ccs

187 x 9 deep set(grip genie)

All the warm ups sets before the ccs are medium depth. The ccs after the top set is to failure, not a particular number of reps, so weeks 6 and 7 were 9 but before that it was 8, 7 etc, same for the second drop set then on the 187, week before was 7 then 6, 5.

After the 182 ccs x 9 my hand is trashed, thus making the grip genie 187 challenging and I did this to work the last bit of the close with the thinner handles. If I did the 187 before the ccs rep set I might be able to get 20, but I'm that deep into fatigue at that point its not so easy. This was necessary to make improvement.

Earlier in the year I used the same basic plan but instead of the ccs' were max effort deep sets when I worked upto the 256 ghp10. That would be followed by a max deepset set 216 x 8 being my best. 

I try to only push 6-8 weeks and then start back lighter with higher reps and re- build. The thinking was get my deep set upto a whole new level and then convert that basic strength to the specific strength needed for the ccs.

Assistance exercises were at the end of the gripper workout, band extensions holding the fingers together trying to closely resemble the reverse movement of a gripper close. About 8 sets of 6 working up through the different colors and then 3 x 6 with double red bands.

The other assistance exercise I would do at the end of Mondays workout, (grippers were friday or sat) was standing reverse wrist curls holding the bar in a reverse curl position at 90° out from the body and then curling the wrists up and down. 4 sets of 6. 45lb x 6, 65lb x 6, 95 x 6, 105 x 6.

Rest periods were always 3-5 minutes between all sets. So about 45 minutes to complete the gripper portion.

One tip that might help someone is that between the early warm up sets I would grab a plate and do 3 standing wrist curls, overhand pushing the plate towards the body. Not heavy, I would do the Trainer then 10lb, #1, 25lb, #2, 45, #2.5 55lb and then stop with those. The purpose was to add some rigidity to the hand and pump up the thumb pad a little for better leverage.

All sets were done aswell with the left hand and equal reps, they would just not be all closed at the top end.

I always did right hand first and then left.

Like I warned at the beginning, I would wake up the next day barely able to make a fist and move my hand and there would be soreness and tenderness every week for 3 to 5 days.

This is such great timing for me, I am gonna start training for the #3 cert tomorrow. So obviously I have to try out your program for that, thank you for sharing it!

• Like 3

I'm starting my own preparation for the #3.5 cert so this is perfect timing, Brutal training definitely but effective looking

• Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, Carl Myerscough said:

I try to only push 6-8 weeks and then start back lighter with higher reps and re- build.

Carl, thanks for sharing your training approach!

Could you please give us more information about step back period? How long does it take? What is intensity / volume ratio compared to main 6-8 weeks you mentioned.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by insane.warrior

5 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Carl, thanks for sharing your training approach!

Could you please give us more information about step back period? How long does it take? What is intensity / volume ratio compared to main 6-8 weeks you mentioned.

Thanks in advance 

Would last 3 or 4 weeks. Same warm up, but no singles and then 1 or 2 medium set rep sets working in the 180 - 190rgc range. The strain on the tendons with grippers 200-256 is high, and after the 6-8 weeks progress would stall or go backwards. Thus 3 or 4 weeks of bodybuilding type training would maintain muscle but give the tendons a rest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After this I’m going to read Tom Brady’s “how to train to quarterback seven Super Bowl winning teams” I’ll be the first to win seven big ones AND cert the 4!

but kidding aside, thanks for taking the time to post that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 9:37 PM, king crusher said:

After this I’m going to read Tom Brady’s “how to train to quarterback seven Super Bowl winning teams” I’ll be the first to win seven big ones AND cert the 4!

Well said.  Most of us would need a training program to reach some of the warmups in Carl's training program ...

But yes, those of us who want to push ourselves to our own maxes that may not be as lofty certainly can modify this routine by substituting lower numbers and see where it takes us.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 9:37 PM, king crusher said:

I'm still laughing.  We should go for the trifecta and also read Aaron Judge's "See-Ya: How to Hit 62 Home Runs Against Major League Pitching In One Season Without Even Playing Every Game."  Because then we could do that also.

• Haha 1

Thank you so much for this post Carl! After armlifting worlds this year, I am going on a gripper certification mission, and this is the exact type of information I have been looking for! Thank you for not only being such an epic inspiration, but thank you for sharing your insight with the community.

• Like 1