Generations of Ironmind Blockbusters

Ben Helms

I recently acquired an older model Ironmind Blockbuster and this is my first time ever using one too. This block has extremely slick paint and will not take any chalk what so ever. Does the newer model take chalk better? I’ve seen people training with theirs and it’s caked in chalk and I just don’t understand how they are getting chalk to stick. My best lift with this block was 70.8lbs and I’m very curious what I could pull on a newer version if it takes chalk better. 

Side note:

My block has the Ironmind sticker on the inside and it’s holographic. I’ve noticed the new version has a matte finish sticker on the outside of the block now. Hopefully someone could help me figure out the modified this one. Seems older but is in brand new condition. 

• Like 2

I recently acquired an older model Ironmind Blockbuster and this is my first time ever using one too. This block has extremely slick paint and will not take any chalk what so ever. Does the newer model take chalk better? I’ve seen people training with theirs and it’s caked in chalk and I just don’t understand how they are getting chalk to stick. My best lift with this block was 70.8lbs and I’m very curious what I could pull on a newer version if it takes chalk better. 

Side note:

My block has the Ironmind sticker on the inside and it’s holographic. I’ve noticed the new version has a matte finish sticker on the outside of the block now. Hopefully someone could help me figure out the modified this one. Seems older but is in brand new condition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Helms said:

Side note:

I have only ever used my blockbuster not sure how old it is should be fairly new but it is unbelievably slick if you finally get it to season a bit one slip and all the chalk rubs off. Mine also has the sticker on the inside not sure if it’s holographic or not I’ll look when I get home. But yeah I have no idea what the trick is to actually get it seasoned well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The version I had was really good, had a really good texture to it and took chalk very easily. I'm pretty sure that's the current version of it. 

• Thanks 1

There's actually at least 3 different kinds, that I know of.  The oldest that won't take chalk unless your last name is Raymond.  Then there are at least 2 of the newer kind that actually take chalk.  One has much sharper corners on it.  The rounder one, the chalk will not stick on the rounder side that the thumb goes on.  Frustrating as hell.

• Thanks 2

I have an older Ironmind Pinch Block from back in the early 2000’s when I was first getting into grip stuff. It has the stickers on the inside. I used it for a little bit but never pulled over like 50 or 60 on it. I started doing most of my pinching on plates for the next few years until around 2014 or 2015. But after 5+ years of sitting in the garage, I started using it again in training for some competitions and the chalk started sticking better. I haven’t applied chalk to the block but just let it build up after just chalking my hands. I’ve gotten up to 115 on my old pinch block and I bought a new one from Ironmind in around 2019 and I’be only got up to around 100 on the new one. The chalk just feels better on my old one after years of use now. My best advice would be to put in a lot of reps on it and let that chalk slowly start building up. I’ve put in so many reps on my old block over the years that my chalk finger prints are now permanently on the block. 

• Like 3

If you want a current version send me your address via PM.  

• Thanks 1

It might be possible to get chalk to stick to yours. 

@John McCarter details his excellent chalking method on YouTube. It's a lot of purposeful work and takes quite a bit of effort. Here is the video.

Also, @Jedd Johnson discusses in his Gripsport Latino episode how he would watch wrestling while handling an implement with chalk. Over time and with considerable stick-to-itiveness (pun intended) the implement would take on good chalk seasoning. 

Both methods are very hands-on (more puns). Between the time, good chalk and natural oils and moisture in your hands it eventually happens. In both cases... it's WORK.  

• Thanks 3

Another strategy might be the "water trick". People use this on Rolling Thunder, maybe especially the 1st gen.

@bencrush mentions the water trick in this thread.  

The last tip I'd recommend is using the "water trick." Get your hands wet and then briskly rub them together until all the moisture is gone and they have that "tacky" feeling. That's when you want to attempt your RT pulls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

oui c'est vrai la video de John McCarter m'a aide enormement a savoir mettre de la craie sur tout les plaque et barre car je ne le savais pas avant et cela fait une énorme difference dans l'entrainement et les relation publiques . De plus la confiance en soi augmente . Je suis visuelle donc je dois voir parfois pour mieux comprendre certaines applications qui est tres bien demontres . Parfois une peccadille ne l'es ^pas mais fais toute la difference parfois dans certaines choses . Certains details sont cruciaux . On parle de technique ici pas juste de force mais j'avoue ce soir pour la premiere fois j'ai utilise les gant pour faire du 2 hp de David horne et j'ai arrete c,etait le temps ...Je me disais aussi comment se fait il que sur le bloc de 3 pouce les gars dépasse 70 livre et par irondmind est considéré comme un ascenseur respectable voire elite si je me trompe pas sur le site et on en parle sur le fil . Maintenant j'ai ma réponse a mes questions!