Grip Strength Loss during weightloss?

AdriaanRobert96

What’s up fam❤️Missed ya’ll!

It’s been a while indeed, and here I am again with another question for you intelligent and experienced people on the board.

So here goes nothing: What’s the drop off in grip strength during a weight-loss phase? 

There’s no definite answer obviously since we all react differently..

I’ve been doing a 16 week cut (now on a diet-break) and I’ve noticed the last 4 weeks really affected my grip indeed, hence hard time to progress.

This diet break fell right onto the same period as my peak month on grippers, luckily😅

Share your thoughts and own experiences, thank you!

Same thing here down 20 pounds. Lost a sh#t ton of strength in grip and other lifts

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Same thing here down 20 pounds. Lost a sh#t ton of strength in grip and other lifts

Heartbreaking man, but I know for certain that when your body gets accustomed to it’s new weight, strength will bounce back😅

Yes it does. I've packed on 12lbs and its really helped. I can't eat any more than i am but need too. I've had a lot going on this past month and actually lost weight. It has noticeably affected my performance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes it does. I've packed on 12lbs and its really helped. I can't eat any more than i am but need too. I've had a lot going on this past month and actually lost weight. It has noticeably affected my performance.

I really noticed, it does because I’ve lost around 18lbs within 16 weeks.. fairly slow weightloss but I try to keep my muscle while doing so😬

My mainstay weight is usually between 95-100kg (209-220lb)..

I lost a VERY significant amount of weight.

My strength took a hit, but now my weight has stabilised I have gained back all my strength. In most things I am actually stronger than before the weightloss

• Like 1

yes. i recently lost 25lbs in 6 weeks and most of my heavy lifts i have lost on vertical bar, fat pinch - although my thickbar and mini pinch, key pinch still seems to be improving, but maybe that's because i have more muscle memory priority there, being a climber. if you are trying to lose weight and maintain grip i  recommend doing it slowly... you inevitably will still lose strength but retain a bit more when done gradually... although I'm no expert :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

I lost a VERY significant amount of weight.

My strength took a hit, but now my weight has stabilised I have gained back all my strength. In most things I am actually stronger than before the weightloss

That really sucks man, altho it’s a relief to hear that it comes back afterall especially for you.. getting even stronger than last😎

4 hours ago, Rental_Shoes_ said:

yes. i recently lost 25lbs in 6 weeks and most of my heavy lifts i have lost on vertical bar, fat pinch - although my thickbar and mini pinch, key pinch still seems to be improving, but maybe that's because i have more muscle memory priority there, being a climber. if you are trying to lose weight and maintain grip i  recommend doing it slowly... you inevitably will still lose strength but retain a bit more when done gradually... although I'm no expert :)

Oh dang it 25lbs in 6 weeks, that’s fairly steep isn’t it?

Indeed, slow and steady seem to be the way to go.. takes a lot of patience tho😂

yes definitely quick, retain more power by slower cut :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rental_Shoes_ said:

yes definitely quick, retain more power by slower cut :)

Lucky for me I am on a reverse diet for 2 months now so hopefully this will make my grip peak😬

• Like 2