North American Grip Sport Championships - June 2024 - Questions

Eric Roussin

The North American Grip Sport Championships will be returning in June 2024. I’ll be hosting the contest in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area. (I was originally on track to host this contest in June 2020, but the pandemic restrictions put an end to it.)

The contest details haven’t all been nailed down yet, but it will be a big event, with impressive awards, some prize money, and a monster medley.
I’m flirting with the idea of possibly making this a two-day contest. But first I’d like to know if this is an appealing idea, or if it’s a turn-off. Two days would allow for more events, which would help ensure the best all-round gripsters make it to the podium. But I realize this would also mean an extra night of accommodation would be needed, and possibly more time away from work/family. What do you think? If open to a two-day contest, what would be better? Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday?

I’m particularly interested in hearing from athletes who would seriously consider making the trip.

Thanks!

Edited by Eric Roussin
  • Like 9

I would like to attend, and I suppose one day rather than two makes it slightly more likely that I will attend, because of the lesser investment of time and money, but I'd still try if it were two days.  Also, if you choose Saturday to Sunday, you can probably make Sunday the shorter program and thus people may be able to get back home without having to miss work Monday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

The North American Grip Sport Championships

Is the comp Jedd has been hosting in June for the last few years just the U.S.?  I may have conflated the two.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Is the comp Jedd has been hosting in June for the last few years just the U.S.?  I may have conflated the two.

In recent years, that contest has been called the US Nationals, as the pandemic closed the border for a while. Now, each country hosts its own Nationals. Moving forward, we are leaning toward holding these events in April, with a North American Championship every two years in June. Ideally this event would be hosted in a different country each time (so Canada in 2024, the U.S. in 2026, etc.). 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

The North American Grip Sport Championships will be returning in June 2024. I’ll be hosting the contest in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area. (I was originally on track to host this contest in June 2020, but the pandemic restrictions put an end to it.)

The contest details haven’t all been nailed down yet, but it will be a big event, with impressive awards, some prize money, and a monster medley.
I’m flirting with the idea of possibly making this a two-day contest. But first I’d like to know if this is an appealing idea, or if it’s a turn-off. Two days would allow for more events, which would help ensure the best all-round gripsters make it to the podium. But I realize this would also mean an extra night of accommodation would be needed, and possibly more time away from work/family. What do you think? If open to a two-day contest, what would be better? Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday?

I’m particularly interested in hearing from athletes who would seriously consider making the trip.

Thanks!

I would be into this I think. Would a guy need to qualify or is it open to anyone?

One day would be much easier for me but it’s not a total deal breaker if it was two. If two probably Saturday Sunday.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I would be into this I think. Would a guy need to qualify or is it open to anyone?

Some sort of qualification will be required, but these are among some of the details still to be worked out.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Ideally this event would be hosted in a different country each time (so Canada in 2024, the U.S. in 2026, etc.). 

... Dominican Republic in 2028!!!!!!

• Like 3

I would be inclined to come if the event was in July… June is always such a stacked month with so many events and also the super series. But July it calms down. Sounds like a fun event and would love to visit Ottawa! Cash prizes are always enticing as well.

• Like 2

Two days seems fitting for the North American Championship.  I'll attend either way, though.  I would prefer Saturday/Sunday.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Thanks!

2 day contest would not deter me from coming. My only personal issue is vacation time for my job resets on July 1. Saving or even getting it approved for the  would be tough.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, Vinnie said:

The US Championship will need to be held in April in 2024, by whomever runs it.  It will NOT be me in 2024.  I've already announced this several times.

• Like 3

I have no problem at all with a 2-day competition, especially with this much notice.  However, I think there's a risk for a big drop-off if it's 2 days.

Just to share how a 2-day comp went, other than an Arnold competition, Living Legends 2019 was 2 days and took place on Friday evening and Saturday throughout the day.  That seemed to work pretty well.

2 events Friday: Grippers, Double Slim Floor Lever

4 events Saturday:  Saxon Bar, Andrew's Axle, FBBC Anvil, and 2 Medleys, as I recall.

With those 2 specific events on Friday, there was no problem recovering and performing well the second day.

Naturally, if the comp is held on Saturday/Sunday, there's more time to run the same number of events over 2 days.  However, the Medleys were both like 2 or 3 minutes long and weren't nearly as demanding as the Last Man Standing events where weight was added to the implement for a max lift.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 12:31 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

The US Championship will need to be held in April in 2024, by whomever runs it.  It will NOT be me in 2024.  I've already announced this several times.

I plan to run Maryland's Strongest Hands at my training studio in central Maryland every April going forward.  Possibly a duel sanctioned event (Armlifting USA and NAGS).  If there is a way to incorporate this and the US championship into the same contest, I would consider it for next year.  The contest lifts will remain the same (IM silver bullet, IM axle, Sorinex Saxon, medley) but there would be room to add one more event if needed.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lder said:

I plan to run Maryland's Strongest Hands at my training studio in central Maryland every April going forward.  ...

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lder said:

I plan to run Maryland's Strongest Hands at my training studio in central Maryland every April going forward.  Possibly a duel sanctioned event (Armlifting USA and NAGS).  If there is a way to incorporate this and the US championship into the same contest, I would consider it for next year.  The contest lifts will remain the same (IM silver bullet, IM axle, Sorinex Saxon, medley) but there would be room to add one more event if needed.  

Sure thing, it'll be great if you put in on the poll.  Nationals has been decided by a poll the last 2 years, and will be going forward.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Sure thing, it'll be great if you put in on the poll.  Nationals has been decided by a poll the last 2 years, and will be going forward.

That is something to consider, let's continue to discuss this but let this thread get back to Eric's original topic. (My fault for getting off topic).

I have a few things to add from my experience in other sports that are similar in needing a venue and planning schedules/seasons.  

18 hours ago, lder said:

That is something to consider, let's continue to discuss this but let this thread get back to Eric's original topic. (My fault for getting off topic).

I have a few things to add from my experience in other sports that are similar in needing a venue and planning schedules/seasons.  

Sure thing.  Text me whenever, or feel free to start a new thread and tag me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 3:24 PM, lder said:

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Sorniex has mentioned to me to try and keep them in the loop on upcoming grip contests and points of contact so they can potentially help sponsor I assume.  No guarantee obviously, but for those contest promotors and points of contact please either post here so I can share this with them or PM me with the contest name, date, and POC. 

Thanks.

John - Just making sure that you saw this since you plan on using the Sorinex Saxon as part of Maryland's Strongest Hands in April 2024.  And if I recall correctly, Sorinex Center Mass Bells were front and "center" in the grip medley.  Seems win-win...especially if this becomes a dual sanctioned event and gains some visibility.

Event details have just been posted. I stuck with the original dates of June 1-2. 4 events on the Saturday, 2 events and a medley on the Sunday.

Date selection is always tough, and no date is perfect for everyone. I looked into July, and the options weren't any better.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Eric Roussin would you need to weigh in on both days of competition or just at the start?

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

@Eric Roussin would you need to weigh in on both days of competition or just at the start?

Just at the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

I'll throw my hat into the ring for hosting the US championships

• Like 1