The Difference A Towel Makes...

CMunger

Ok, so I got my friend Mark into bending a little bit (he's jsut starting) and he had a 7" plated 1/4" steel bar that he managed to kink abotu 10 degrees or so (he had his way with the 3/16 stuff, this was his first crack at 1/4) So anyhow, I'm over at his house today and he hands me that and says "Dude, that's all I could get. Show me" So I asked him for a washcloth, and he handed me a cloth diaper (it was clean, don't worry) I wrapped it up, thinking this should be cake, and gave it a good tug and it bent a little bit, about to the 20 degree area. I couldn't get it any farther. Very perplexing to me, and I received a good dose of crap for not being able to do anything with it. I hung onto it, cuz I wanted to have another crack at it after a few minutes rest (we were on the way to the gym) At the gym, I grabbed a terry cloth hand towel, wrapped the bar in half of it, took another crack at it and it went EASY. Seriously. So while I wonder WTF and come up with various theories about too much padding, soft cotton slippage, etc etc, the bottom line is that from here out, I will ONLY bend with a small terry cloth washcloth. Anyone else make similar observations?

I have personally never noticed a problem like this but I have not been bending that long...I think your problem may have just been mental..1st time you tried you prob expected it to bend easy and did not give full effort...2nd time you were pissed / and embarressed and you gave it a good thrashing. I do the same thing when I bend at home without someone watching, I will hit a bolt that just feels impossible, but when someone comes over and wants to see me bend, I grab the same bolt and obliterate it like it was candy....My best guess at least Brett

My personal experience confirms your suspicion, CMunger. Some materials stretch too much, and cause my hands to slip across the nail. Atleast that's what I think is happening. But in any event, I've found the thickly woven terry cloth hand towels work best. I cut up old bath towels an inch or two longer than a hand towel, for a little extra padding.