Why does this happen?

AdriaanRobert96

So I’ve had a post about this when I first got on Gripbord and simply put . . .

what is this pain on this part of the knuckle: IMG_2627.jpeg.34de0d89e0c17d316ab80b38a40f3495.jpeg

Whenever I squeeze let’s say a gripper, when my fingers are almost near the palm is when I get this pain/ muscle pulling sensation.. like and inbalance idk..

it’s like climber say that the full crimp is where most people get hurt, it feels like the same thing.

I’ve had this a couple of year ago on my right hand and it took about 6 months for it to go away..

Now it’s been present on my left hand the past couple of months up to a year.

I’ve tried stretching, finger extensions, and everything one could think of..

Anyone of you had a similar experience and if so what did you or didn’t do?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have the same pain in between my ring and middle finger on my left hand. I don't know what started it and haven't done anything for it other than do a higher volume warmup with dexterity balls, extensor bands and a light gripper rated at 35rgc. started maybe 2 or 3 months ago. seems like it bothers me much less now but its still there sometimes. It bothers me with grippers and also gives me a hard time when doing thick bar like rolling thunder, RGT, Napalm's Nightmare.  I don't really feel it at all when doing pinch.

Hope to see some good rehab advice if anybody has any.

• Like 1

Could be from setting a gripper. If you don’t keep everything together and firm, that area will get kinda collapsed and irritated. I get it with trying to do heavy riser type of training with a strap. If it gets too far out on my index finger, the strain happens. Although mine doesn’t hurt with grippers it hurts if I pinch. 

• Like 2

Deep flexion of the fingers rely on inner hand muscles notably interosseous muscles and lombricals.

These are tiny muscles that take longer to adjust to load than the massive muscles of the forearm, i've torn one of them before, maybe one of yours is a little strained.

Other possibility is as slazbob said and thats the area is just pushed together during the set and some inner bruising happen

Edited by Apneaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Charles Jones said:

I have the same pain in between my ring and middle finger on my left hand. I don't know what started it and haven't done anything for it other than do a higher volume warmup with dexterity balls, extensor bands and a light gripper rated at 35rgc. started maybe 2 or 3 months ago. seems like it bothers me much less now but its still there sometimes. It bothers me with grippers and also gives me a hard time when doing thick bar like rolling thunder, RGT, Napalm's Nightmare.  I don't really feel it at all when doing pinch.

Hope to see some good rehab advice if anybody has any.

Oh man that sucks for real, mine bother me aswell whe I am using RT and Fat Bar, pinch feels good exactly like you describe it..

I am certain we have the same thing, I thought I was mad or something and that only I had it😂

Hopefully a fix comes up😥

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

Could be from setting a gripper. If you don’t keep everything together and firm, that area will get kinda collapsed and irritated. I get it with trying to do heavy riser type of training with a strap. If it gets too far out on my index finger, the strain happens. Although mine doesn’t hurt with grippers it hurts if I pinch. 

I was thinking about post a topic like that instead tbh, about finger training side to side or up and down depending on how you hold your hand.. like this . .

IMG_2628.jpeg.02f9b80b21c3c45e125ce33922269e23.jpeg

Something like adduction and abduction, last time I cured my right hand I did it in a rice bucket.

5 hours ago, Apneaa said:

Deep flexion of the fingers rely on inner hand muscles notably interosseous muscles and lombricals.

These are tiny muscles that take longer to adjust to load than the massive muscles of the forearm, i've torn one of them before, maybe one of yours is a little strained.

Other possibility is as slazbob said and thats the area is just pushed together during the set and some inner bruising happen

Yeah this one I’ve heard before and it also makes a lot of sense.. I will look into it a little more👌🏼

So I’ve taken a deep dive into the anatomy and it really seem to be the interosseous muscles inbetween the fingers.. 

what they do is adduction and abduction of the fingers.

The way it hurts when gripping at the very deep end is like a pull on exactly that muscle.

Imagine when you crush a Captains of Crush there’s a slight pressure downwards on the gripper, abduction like the picture above shows..

Now I am not sure if it’s weak, or just tight because I’ve tried stretching that are and nothing happened.

I will go on a period of training those muscles with bands like shown in the video: 

Let me know of you have a better method of hitting them, wish me luck and use it yourselves if you wanna give it a go.

Note: I could close my #3 with the left, maybe it pushed it too hard.. not sure, my mind says: “weakness” ..

• Like 1

Grippers do hit them directly. They play a big role in the end range of finger flexion, so if you use a very light gripper and set it in a way that the pressure is directed more toward the proximal part of your finger(instead of distal like in a normal set) you can focus the effort on that movement.

Sadly the muscles of the forearms are really dominant in any finger flexion so you really gotta go much lighter than max capacity because otherwise the forearm muscles just kick in and do all the work(Keeping the finger tips extended also helps disabling the forearms flexors)

Elastics or using small bands with weights while you adduct/abduct your fingers is another way to isolate them

Edited by Apneaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could try using toe spacer’s between your fingers to train isometrical fist making…squeezing the middle finger knuckles together. They make a little gap that won’t push anything together that’s irritated and can rehabilitate the area. Or rest for a week or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

You could try using toe spacer’s between your fingers to train isometrical fist making…squeezing the middle finger knuckles together. They make a little gap that won’t push anything together that’s irritated and can rehabilitate the area. Or rest for a week or so.

Never thought about toe spacers, appreciate the idea pal!

Will see where I can find a pair😅 

Also resting doesn’t seem to cut it, been doing so for way too long on my left hand and nothing happened:/

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 1