BFGS 2

Rick Walker

How many days should BFGS 2 run?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many days should BFGS 2 run?

• 1. 1
    • 2. 2

Let me know guys-I dont care either way-but i dont want potential competitors missing it because it is a 2 day event.

Thanks-

Rick Walker :rock

Rick, you know how I feel. 2 Days.

-JEDD-

Rick, I think making the contest 2 days will give it an added level of difficulty and help determine who has the best grip endurance as well as raw power. Besides 2 days will be twice as fun. :D

Well, same # of events spread over 2 days would actually give more rest, and we'd likely see bigger numbers, which is always cool. But, I think one day would be more traveler friendly, and create a one day off work (Fri and Sun travel days) vs. two days off (Fri and Mon travel days) Just some food for thought.

Edited by CMunger

Just an outsider looking in and just MY opinionand thoughts.....but I think 1 day would be more realistic.And you might find a few extra competitors are willing to show up for one day.

It is possible(and I am NOT speaking for anyone)that those from other parts of the country(further away) MIGHT be able to squeeze in one day but perhaps not two.

Reduces all of a competitors expenses,reduces time off work,reduces time away from family etc.etc.

Look at many top amateur STRONGMAN contests and they are often 1 day...take for example John Beattys PRO/AM Snowman strongman contest.One Day.

i have actually spoken to a few Pros strongmen over the years and they too indicated they would rather get there,compete,get it over with and then get home and 'momma'and work..ASAP.

More events in one day is tougher on the competitor and may hold back some PR's but it is equally as hard for ALL competitors.

Just my dollars worth of opinion minus 98cents. ;)

Also,and just a consideration for the 'winners'.....more money and prizes earned per hour :tongue

I would say one day and just a few simple events. But I know most won't like that idea. Grippers, One handed pinch, thick handled lift and and maybe a wrist curl or a plate curl to test the wrists. Have multiple judges and get the thing done in about a hour. Then the rest of the day can used for socializing and individual displays if everyone wants to hang around. And if others don't then it was quick and easy for them.

Edited by Matt Van Weele

One hour! I guess you have not organised too many grip competitions.

Theres no reason that someone holding a grip contest that has there shit together can't get a simple contest done in hour. Tony Scrivens held a 6 event strongman contest with about 35 competitors and it took about 5 and half hours and that was with added breaks and demonstrations by some kung foo kids.

Sorry, matt, I don't see how you can do it. I was at the first one. It moved very quickly between goes and between events and it still took all day. Plus, there's gonna be 30 competitors.

-Napalm Jedd-

Theres no reason that someone holding a grip contest that has there shit together can't get a simple contest done in hour. Tony Scrivens held a 6 event strongman contest with about 35 competitors and it took about 5 and half hours and that was with added breaks and demonstrations by some kung foo kids.

So I guess you have all the shit it takes to run a full grip contest in one hour. I think that a one hour grip contest with numerous competitors has to be very simple indeed. I would guess it will take more like 15 hours with all the events planned, so two days seems reasonable.

I just don't see why you would want so many events. 3 to 4 events will test the hand and wrist area. Why have 15?

Why have 15 events? Because they're fun!

Rick, I like the idea of a 2 day contest.

.I should probably shut up but I've been to a LOT of strongman contests and IF they can get those contests done quickly! Then a grip contest will certainly be quicker :cool I think 6 to 7 or even 8 events could EASILY be done in one day! To take any longer would be beyond S L O W. I don't know if its realistic to do it in an hour but Big Tony's strongman contest is a LOT more difficult to set up than a grip contest :whacked And ALL the contests I've been to 'appeared'more difficult to set up and organize(well at least there is more EVENT SET UP TIME)

15 hours???seems ridiculous to me.Sorry.

I was a 'gopher'at the 1998 'Survival of the Strongest'.15 COMPETITORS,8 EVENTS in 8 hours.This wasn't grip stuff- which IMO- can be done fairly quickly.in fact the events were time consumeing AND there were some equipment snags that held it up.Paul felt it could have been done in 5 to 6 hours without the snags...and it was also 90 degrees and 80% humidity! :ohmy There IS MAJOR set up time with strongman events and the athletes are physically far more exhausted then they would be in a grip contest? In fact a lot of the events I am going to describe were grip intensive! :bow:bow:bow

Events were:

1)162lb Oxygen Cylinder 'cheat curl' for maximum reps(unexpectedly these beasts were hitting 35 to 44 reps...which delayed things a tad :blink )

2)240lb Log Incline Press(guys were hitting 15 to 30 reps!)

3)Then the harness truck Pull.The original 18 ton wrecker was 'locked up/brakes frozen' and NOBODY could even budge it SO a Budweiser 10 ton truck was substituted.This IS a time consumeing event IF it runs smoothly and the change of vehicles delayed it even further-by about 1 hour!!!Moving the vehicle and setting up the harness-for EACH competitor- takes TIME!

4)Then with very little rest it was the WORK MEDLEY,# objects moved for time.

First a 660lb Auto block was dragged 40 ft.Then a 1200# wheelbarrow was moved 40 ft.THEN the guys SPRINTED with 160 lb per side farmers walk suitcases another 40 ft.!AGAIN this event was time consuming...15 dudes had to go!

This event was like 3 events in ONE! :rock Moving all the implements back to the finish line!

5)Then on tho the SEATED Arm over Arm pull with a 6.5Ton Forklift!For 60 ft...up an incline with a 2 inch sissel rope.Again...the forklik had to be moved back and the competitor had to 'set up'

6)Double Oxygen Tank deadlift for time.Just 250 a side but grip was fried by the previous event!Now that was EZ to set up...sort of like a grip event ,eh :unsure

7)Log Bear Hug HOLD FOR TIME.A 462lb Log was held out in front(like a husafelt stone)for TIME!The log was lifted OFF a platform that was on a fork lift.The height of the log had to be adjusted for EACH competitor!One competitor held the log OVER 3 minutes!

8)The Road block-Load Push Medly

a)a 500lb Log with a rope attached to it was dragged 'out of the road'for about 10ft.

b)then a 500lb Tire was flipped (just once)out of the road

C)Then a 250lb Keg and a TWO 175lb anvils were loade into a 4000lb pick up.

d)Then the contestant PUSHED the loaded pick up 25 ft.

Again-4 'events'in one.Each time it had to be reset!

Now THAT was a contest!And even with snags was done in 8 hours.No disrespect intended but grip contest isn't going to be as 'tough'or exhausting in comparison.

Prize money was there too. $800 for 1st.$500 for 2nd. $250 for 3rd.PLUS 5o to 100 dollar bonus PER event to the individual winner of the event.

I would suggest to get more athletes interested?Move it along quickly and get it over in one day....and grip is NOT as tough to 'set up'for as strongman.If the sport is to ever be recognized as a sport?

if the above can be done-with numerous 'snags'in 8 hours(it was literally-counting the medleys 13 EVENTS!)

.I should probably shut up !)

Yes, you should.

:) I take it back.15 hours isn't ridiculous it is just a plain dumb and unrealistic idea.It would hold the sport back.Such a lengthy contest would be boring to spectators and the competitors.i don't care how many contests you've promoted.....if it takes you THAT long you are taking too long.Period.And you'll never make the sport of grip appealing to any possible fans and you'll keep a lot of really good and LEGITIMATE strength athletes disinterested(or maybe?? thats what YOU want?!?!you won't have to face guys like Pfister and Odd Haugen and Mark Henry and Schoonveld and the likes...they'd be bored to death )

So your saying that a 8 event grip contest should take longer than an 8 event strongman contest???What a hoot! :laugh:laugh:laugh What are you doing resting 2 hours between each event? :whistel You guys keeping score on your fingers? :dry Were you keeping score with a stick in the dirt?You need to get out more often.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2