How much are roundhead york dumbbells worth?

darthsith19

Hello, I have 1 each (not a set) of 60-70-80-90-100 old school round York dumbbells. I never knew they were worth something but recently was told they were worth a lot in the grip community. Someone’s asking what my price is for them….

anyone have an idea what are they worth?

Thanks 

IMG_6635.jpeg

Edited by darthsith19
  • Like 1

Found a recent estimate from @VintageWeightsPGH at 5:47 mark of this video.

Less common dumbbells $1.75 - $2 per pound and 90, 95, and 100 $2 - $3 per pound.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If you make "blobs" out of them they are certainly worth more than that. More like $3/lbs I would say.

• Thanks 1

There are no set prices on Iron... Prices go up/down w/ trends.

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay. But the $2.00 to $3.00 mentioned is a great ballpark...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, darthsith19 said:

Hello, I have 1 each (not a set) of 60-70-80-90-100 old school round York dumbbells. I never knew they were worth something but recently was told they were worth a lot in the grip community. Someone’s asking what my price is for them….

Thanks 

IMG_6635.jpeg

Beautiful Roundheads! And in this forum, they’re clearly under threat of being cut up. 😂 The opinions I gave on pricing in my video that was linked above still hold true. The 100s are especially valuable. 100 blobs are selling for $300+ depending on the platform. Usually $350ish. 100 Roundheads, pre-USA, are selling intact for about $1,000.

Shipping is an issue for 70-100, but there are motivated buyers that will find a way to pick up. If you are interested in selling them, I’d suggest posting on here of course and if that doesn’t work out, I also really like the Facebook group, Vintage Weightlifting Swap. Join that group and you can post for sale with your city,state. 

The 60s will fit in large flat rate USPS boxes that you can pick up at your local post office. Tape the seams and wrap around the outer sides with packing tape. Put an extra layer of cardboard on bottom. Then place the dumbbell inside. Stuff tight with cardboard and try to place extra cardboard n all sides of the dumbbell. Then mummify it in packing tape. Like more than you ever taped something in your life. It should feel ridiculous. Each box will cost about $23 to mail. One 60 in each box. So I’d you list them for sale, I’d suggest listing the 60s for pickup or shipped for $50 within USA. 

Best of luck. I hope you’ll get those 100s to @Nick Sanders!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 2:15 PM, darthsith19 said:

Thanks 

IMG_6635.jpeg

Depending on location, I’d be very interested in the 90 and 100. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, darthsith19 said:

I’m in Crystal, MN 

Really!?

So these have no USA stamp on the flat spot of the heads?

I can look later this evening. How much would that devalue them? 
Pretty sure there isn’t though. They’re old (1980’s or earlier)

Edited by darthsith19

12 hours ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

Beautiful Roundheads! And in this forum, they’re clearly under threat of being cut up. 😂 The opinions I gave on pricing in my video that was linked above still hold true. The 100s are especially valuable. 100 blobs are selling for $300+ depending on the platform. Usually $350ish. 100 Roundheads, pre-USA, are selling intact for about $1,000.

Shipping is an issue for 70-100, but there are motivated buyers that will find a way to pick up. If you are interested in selling them, I’d suggest posting on here of course and if that doesn’t work out, I also really like the Facebook group, Vintage Weightlifting Swap. Join that group and you can post for sale with your city,state. 

The 60s will fit in large flat rate USPS boxes that you can pick up at your local post office. Tape the seams and wrap around the outer sides with packing tape. Put an extra layer of cardboard on bottom. Then place the dumbbell inside. Stuff tight with cardboard and try to place extra cardboard n all sides of the dumbbell. Then mummify it in packing tape. Like more than you ever taped something in your life. It should feel ridiculous. Each box will cost about $23 to mail. One 60 in each box. So I’d you list them for sale, I’d suggest listing the 60s for pickup or shipped for $50 within USA. 

Best of luck. I hope you’ll get those 100s to @Nick Sanders!!!

I'd definitely be interested in the 60 and 70--single, set, whatever.  PM sent.

52 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Stuff tight with cardboard and try to place extra cardboard n all sides of the dumbbell. Then mummify it in packing tape. Like more than you ever taped something in your life. It should feel ridiculous.

This is phenomenal advice. I have used similar wording to customers in the past. :whistel You do actually have to say things like "it should feel ridiculous". 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This is phenomenal advice. I have used similar wording to customers in the past. :whistel You do actually have to say things like "it should feel ridiculous". 

Yeah...it really captures it well.  hahaha

As a recipient of items with less than stellar shipping methods (and a few lost items that I never received) I have said many times that @ZRMMA's how-to video on shipping blobs should be mandatory viewing for eBay sellers.  The same general guidelines/principles apply to dumbbells and plates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cannon said:

Really!?

So these have no USA stamp on the flat spot of the heads?

I see no usa stamp 

• Like 1