AGP 5: September 16, 2023

jasonotto

The Charlotte Pick-up Artists Present the:

5th Annual

Armhighland Gripstrongwrestling Powergames

Grip Sport International

September 16, 2023 @ 11 am

Events: Gripper (30 mm), Euro One Hand Pinch, 2.5” Crusher, Lever Top, 2” V Bar (6 inch lift)

The events will follow NAGS rules however there will be no rankings/awards per weight class.  Awards will be provided to the overall top lifts in each event.  Contestants will be competing for personal best performances and a chance to move up the NAGS leaderboards and contest records.  Contestants can choose to compete in all 5 events for gripsport records. There will be time before the competition for contestants to complete any certifications.

Entry Fee: $10 due at the event.

Weight Class: 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93 kg, 105 kg, 120 kg, 120+kg, Open Women

https://forms.gle/D8RCcAE26r8ugmQTA

Weigh-ins, rules, certifications 9:30-11:00 am

Contest Starts at 11:00 am

Edited by jasonotto
  • Like 6

Will Alvaro Rocha be doing the award art again?  That alone would be motivation to see if I can trade weekends with my ex and come to this.  As it stands I have my son that weekend and I don't think I can make it, but I will see about a trade.

2 hours ago, jasonotto said:

Gripper (30 mm)

This is so right for me.  I'm so bad at setting that my 20mm closes are often 30 mm anyway, so I may as well get to say so ...

32 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Will Alvaro Rocha be doing the award art again?  That alone would be motivation to see if I can trade weekends with my ex and come to this.  As it stands I have my son that weekend and I don't think I can make it, but I will see about a trade.

My buddy's dad did the awards.  I am pretty sure I can get him again.  Hope you can make it!

• Like 1

I am planning on coming and may be able to bring along some other northeast miscreants.  Not 100 per cent yet but pretty likely.

• Like 1

Oh that's great!!  Should be a good time with some classic events!

• Like 1

Hey Vin.  Just an FYI, we haven't finalized the location yet.  It will either be UGS in Hickory or at Empower House in Cornelius.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jasonotto said:

It will either be UGS in Hickory or at Empower House in Cornelius

Oh ok, that's about an hour apart, so maybe I will switch hotels if it turns out to be in Cornelius.  At least I have something on hold.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, jasonotto said:

The Charlotte Pick-up Artists Present the:

5th Annual

Armhighland Gripstrongwrestling Powergames

Grip Sport International

Empower House

20468 Chartwell Center Dr.

Suite N

Cornelius, NC 28031

September 16, 2023 @ 11 am

Events: Gripper (30 mm), Euro One Hand Pinch, 2.5” Crusher, Lever Top, 2” V Bar (6 inch lift)

The events will follow NAGS rules however there will be no rankings/awards per weight class.  Awards will be provided to the overall top lifts in each event.  Contestants will be competing for personal best performances and a chance to move up the NAGS leaderboards and contest records.  Contestants can choose to compete in all 5 events for gripsport records. There will be time before the competition for contestants to complete any certifications.

Entry Fee: $10 due at the event.

Weight Class: 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93 kg, 105 kg, 120 kg, 120+kg, Open Women

https://forms.gle/D8RCcAE26r8ugmQTA

Weigh-ins, rules, certifications 9:30-11:00 am

Contest Starts at 11:00 am

AGP 5 will be held at Empower House at the following address:

20468 Chartwell Center Dr.

Suite N

Cornelius, NC 28031

On 7/11/2023 at 9:05 AM, Vinnie said:

Oh ok, that's about an hour apart, so maybe I will switch hotels if it turns out to be in Cornelius.  At least I have something on hold.  Thanks.

Just making sure you saw the venue update.

11 hours ago, jasonotto said:

Just making sure you saw the venue update.

Thanks.  I had reserved at the Sleep Inn because that was good last time, but I think that is a bit of a hike from Cornelius, so I will switch it.

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks.  I had reserved at the Sleep Inn because that was good last time, but I think that is a bit of a hike from Cornelius, so I will switch it.

Booked Lake Norman Inn & Suites.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rphilton said:

Hi @Vinnie, where are you going to be on the gripper this year?

I got 165 in comp in June, but I think I may not reach that in September (it was my opinion that the RGC on that one was a little overrated).  Got 156 at last AGP, so hopefully next one up from that.  Like 160-ish, if I train grippers between now and then.

• Like 1

Cool. In the low 150s myself right now with not too much focus. Hoping for 160. If I hit thereabouts I'll probably try to do MM2 this fall. We'll see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rphilton said:

Cool. In the low 150s myself right now with not too much focus. Hoping for 160. If I hit thereabouts I'll probably try to do MM2 this fall. We'll see.

Yeah, I think MM2 is probably about the same difficulty as doing a block set on 160.  Like it may be 162 plus or minus a pound, but you don't have to pass the block and I think that makes it a bit easier.  I sent for MM2 right after I did an MMS double on a COC3 rated 160, and I barely made it (but I did, phew).

On 8/4/2023 at 9:37 PM, rphilton said:

where are you going to be on the gripper this year

Oh - is it 30mm this year?  Then maybe 156 might be my goal.

• 4 weeks later...

Added this contest to the GSI contests email I send out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay folks we are about a week out!  Who's in!  Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you that have been out in previous years.  Can't wait to see what everyone pulls on some of the classic lifts!

On 9/9/2023 at 5:13 PM, jasonotto said:

Okay folks we are about a week out!  Who's in!  Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you that have been out in previous years.  Can't wait to see what everyone pulls on some of the classic lifts!

Although I have a few things going on at home that could mess me up, I do have a room booked and I do plan to be there.  Road tripping down with @Anthony C..  I'll keep you posted if something stops me.  No news is good news.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Although I have a few things going on at home that could mess me up, I do have a room booked and I do plan to be there.  Road tripping down with @Anthony C..  I'll keep you posted if something stops me.  No news is good news.

Sounds good

Safe travels!

• Like 1

Almost before the storm.  A lot of strong human beings here today!

20230916_091507.jpg

20230916_091516.jpg

• Like 5