Under the Spotlight - Grip Profiles - CARL MYERSCOUGH

Vinnie

Happy Independence Day!  Since I belatedly posted the June profile later than June 1, I am working my way back to the first of each month with this intermediate offering.  For our next installment, let me introduce yet another phenomenon:

Carl Myerscough!

I think everyone in grip already knows a bit about Carl, with all the buzz about the possible COC 4 certification -- Carl is one of the few (if not the only) who has offered solid, video evidence of himself closing a COC 4 from a credit card set.  I'm sure we all think that it is only a matter of time, and perhaps not all that much time, until he formalizes the feat.  And of course, Carl's grip feats extend beyond just grippers, as he has several world records on other events.  He is also a kind and generous sort, as I know first hand because he took the time to offer me some advice two years ago when I was chasing a much easier cert than he was (the IM COC 3).  And his emails are exceedingly polite, making the recipient feel important when Carl is actually the movie star in most grip conversations.  I am sure we all wish him the best with the Big Cert, but in the meantime, let's see what he has to say in answer to the profile questions.

1. What are your stats?

GripBoard name: (no reply - Carl, if you see this post and have a grip board profile, please reply!)
    Height: 6'10" (208 cm)
    Weight: 352 lbs. (160 kg)
    Dominant hand, and hand size: Right, 8.5"
    Country/City: Yorba Linda, California (USA)
    Relationship Status: Married
    Children: 2

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started training and competing in grip in June 2016 after I retired from throwing. However I always had an interest in grip and had done some grip feats throughout my life as my dad was into grip and his farther before him, so I'm at least a third generation gripster.

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I would say my 237.5kg Iron mind Axle WR. My 300lb 3 x 4" Saxon bar WR, Millennium dumbbell level deadlift and deep set closing the Ghp 10.
Goal is and has always been to cert the #4.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

Currently rehabbing from tricep surgery but my basic training program generally is as follows:
Monday Axle deadlifts, standing axle wrist curls, chest/shoulders/triceps.
Wednesday: Squats, calves, lower back.
Friday: Grippers, pinch, biceps.

(All grip workouts take 2- 2.5 hrs).

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Art, painting, drawing ceramics, movies.

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I have  found that focusing on wrist strength helps most lifts more than the full lift itself. So I mostly do low reps or singles on things like Axle and then will do 4 sets of 6 on standing wrist curls. It has been said that grippers aren't that helpful for other lifts. I would say that grippers plus wrist work in all plains of motion is nearly all you need as long as you have the body strength to make the lift as well.

My dad could close a 2.5 gripper the first time he tried at 72yrs old. I saw him one hand deadlift 350lb no hook grip (30yrs ago) with zero warm up. (BW 195lb).

Thank you to all the wonderful grip community it's a pleasure to be a part of this.

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next? Tiziano Becchio.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Carl is 6'10" ????? :ohmy 

Larger than life, what the hell. I knew he was big, but 6'10" is some Height with a capital H. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

My dad could close a 2.5 gripper the first time he tried at 72yrs old.

UNBELIEVABLE! 👍😎👌💪 Just Plain Wow!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Cannon said:

Carl is 6'10" ????? :ohmy 

Larger than life, what the hell. I knew he was big, but 6'10" is some Height with a capital H. 

Yeah, he's a giant. Seems like a real nice humble guy too. Passionate about what he does.

Hes got a foot on me and 170lbs... Thats crazy. Also cool his pops and gramps did grip.  I'd be interested in knowing how they trained grip.

• 2 months later...

Amazing profile! Carl did certify on the IronMind CoC #4. But what is more impressive is his father closing the CoC #2.5 at 72 years old. That is WOW! :rock

Edit:

@Carl Myerscough Can you please explain the standing wrists curls? I am assuming standing axle wrist curls is when you deadlift the weight and curl it all while the palms is facing your body, correct? Not in a biceps curl position with palms facing towards the sky?

Edited by Alawadhi

On 7/4/2023 at 7:24 PM, Vinnie said:

Happy Independence Day!  Since I belatedly posted the June profile later than June 1, I am working my way back to the first of each month with this intermediate offering.  For our next installment, let me introduce yet another phenomenon:

Carl Myerscough!

I think everyone in grip already knows a bit about Carl, with all the buzz about the possible COC 4 certification -- Carl is one of the few (if not the only) who has offered solid, video evidence of himself closing a COC 4 from a credit card set.  I'm sure we all think that it is only a matter of time, and perhaps not all that much time, until he formalizes the feat.  And of course, Carl's grip feats extend beyond just grippers, as he has several world records on other events.  He is also a kind and generous sort, as I know first hand because he took the time to offer me some advice two years ago when I was chasing a much easier cert than he was (the IM COC 3).  And his emails are exceedingly polite, making the recipient feel important when Carl is actually the movie star in most grip conversations.  I am sure we all wish him the best with the Big Cert, but in the meantime, let's see what he has to say in answer to the profile questions.

1. What are your stats?

GripBoard name: (no reply - Carl, if you see this post and have a grip board profile, please reply!)
    Height: 6'10" (208 cm)
    Weight: 352 lbs. (160 kg)
    Dominant hand, and hand size: Right, 8.5"
    Country/City: Yorba Linda, California (USA)
    Relationship Status: Married
    Children: 2

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started training and competing in grip in June 2016 after I retired from throwing. However I always had an interest in grip and had done some grip feats throughout my life as my dad was into grip and his farther before him, so I'm at least a third generation gripster.

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I would say my 237.5kg Iron mind Axle WR. My 300lb 3 x 4" Saxon bar WR, Millennium dumbbell level deadlift and deep set closing the Ghp 10.
Goal is and has always been to cert the #4.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

Currently rehabbing from tricep surgery but my basic training program generally is as follows:
Monday Axle deadlifts, standing axle wrist curls, chest/shoulders/triceps.
Wednesday: Squats, calves, lower back.
Friday: Grippers, pinch, biceps.

(All grip workouts take 2- 2.5 hrs).

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Art, painting, drawing ceramics, movies.

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I have  found that focusing on wrist strength helps most lifts more than the full lift itself. So I mostly do low reps or singles on things like Axle and then will do 4 sets of 6 on standing wrist curls. It has been said that grippers aren't that helpful for other lifts. I would say that grippers plus wrist work in all plains of motion is nearly all you need as long as you have the body strength to make the lift as well.

My dad could close a 2.5 gripper the first time he tried at 72yrs old. I saw him one hand deadlift 350lb no hook grip (30yrs ago) with zero warm up. (BW 195lb).

Thank you to all the wonderful grip community it's a pleasure to be a part of this.

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next? Tiziano Becchio.

This is his account "Carl Myerscough"

• Thanks 1

Only two months later and this profile is screaming for an addendum.

Incredible accomplishments.