How long is YOUR gripper recovery?

AdriaanRobert96

So for all of you that have done grippers for extended periods of time, you know there’s no peaks without valleys . . .

Obviously the higher you climb the higher your recovery need will be, I am myself on my 3rd week where I had to back off since I felt it was needed.

I usually get a nice increase in reps for a period of 3-4 weeks tops then I need to back off for the same amount of time before building even higher on the next peak..

How does your recovery needs look when doing a serious increase in gripper strength/ reps and or rgc increase?

I currently went from 1 to 3 consecutive reps on my super heavy and wide #3 + 5 reps on my “easy” #3 as a back off set..

went up for 3 weeks, now I am on the 3rd week and strength’s still not there.. 6 weeks in total :) 

I am usually peaking again after 3 weeks of “deload” ..

Edited by AdriaanRobert96

This seems to be the norm with grippers. I think if your skin feels good, and you feel strong,  you can train if you want to. Ups and downs with grippers is a neurological disorder haha …any body part that I’ve trained on the regular, I’ve kept my strength progress/ not with grippers. 
you go from: I had it going today, to it wasn’t as good. And then you start making excuses as to why you didn’t progress.

just keep doing what you like doing and if gain a step, you might be there a while…but then one day it’ll be two steps, etc. 

it hasn’t mattered much, for me, to consider recovery as my problem. Sometimes you need more sometimes less. What I’m saying is if you’re hyped up and ready for training, you should train. Don’t have to stick to a schedule that doesn’t have you training as much as you would like. Be like Devon 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So for all of you that have done grippers for extended periods of time, you know there’s no peaks without valleys . . .

Obviously the higher you climb the higher your recovery need will be, I am myself on my 3rd week where I had to back off since I felt it was needed.

I usually get a nice increase in reps for a period of 3-4 weeks tops then I need to back off for the same amount of time before building even higher on the next peak..

How does your recovery needs look when doing a serious increase in gripper strength/ reps and or rgc increase?

I currently went from 1 to 3 consecutive reps on my super heavy and wide #3 + 5 reps on my “easy” #3 as a back off set..

went up for 3 weeks, now I am on the 3rd week and strength’s still not there.. 6 weeks in total :) 

I am usually peaking again after 3 weeks of “deload” ..

I can only train them once a week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I can only train them once a week.

Same here, wen’t from 3 down to once.. altho recovery still takes me quite a while😅

If I progress for 3-4 weeks straight then I need 3-4 weeks to recovery before going at it again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slazbob said:

This seems to be the norm with grippers. I think if your skin feels good, and you feel strong,  you can train if you want to. Ups and downs with grippers is a neurological disorder haha …any body part that I’ve trained on the regular, I’ve kept my strength progress/ not with grippers. 
you go from: I had it going today, to it wasn’t as good. And then you start making excuses as to why you didn’t progress.

just keep doing what you like doing and if gain a step, you might be there a while…but then one day it’ll be two steps, etc. 

it hasn’t mattered much, for me, to consider recovery as my problem. Sometimes you need more sometimes less. What I’m saying is if you’re hyped up and ready for training, you should train. Don’t have to stick to a schedule that doesn’t have you training as much as you would like. Be like Devon 

The thing is, skin feel great but I seems to have streaks of progress before I need the same amount of time as recovery :)

So If I have a progress streak of 3 weeks then I need 3 weeks of recovery or back off work before I can go onto hard grippers again.

I'm currently training them 2 times a week on the day before and day after a deadlift session, but they mostly consist of volume sessions to raise my overall ceiling, Its usually once a week

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I'm currently training them 2 times a week on the day before and day after a deadlift session, but they mostly consist of volume sessions to raise my overall ceiling, Its usually once a week

Day after deadlift, not bad😅I only train volume aswell..

Maybe too much volume sometimes😂

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Recovery from what?

Two days to two months for me.

From prolonged gripper progression..

I usually need the same amount of time to recover as I’ve peaked, so if I progress in reps every week fro 3-4 weeks then I’ll drop in strength and need another 3-4 weeks to recover..

I usually just back off reps..

I do a lot of different grip stuff from Arm Lifting, to rock climbing, to grippers, etc. After the last Arm Lifting competition, I did a long rock climbing session and my fingers/tendons are still too inflamed to train. I am going to switch to overall strength goals until they recover and then focus more on volume and less on "1RM" type lifts. I'd ideally like to do this as long as Odd Haugen has, so I need to make sure I stay healthy! No point in hitting a goal now, only to prevent my ability to grip in the future.

I believe I will try to train volume frequently, but only hit "1RM" level of effort once every two weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zach Ebel said:

I do a lot of different grip stuff from Arm Lifting, to rock climbing, to grippers, etc. After the last Arm Lifting competition, I did a long rock climbing session and my fingers/tendons are still too inflamed to train. I am going to switch to overall strength goals until they recover and then focus more on volume and less on "1RM" type lifts. I'd ideally like to do this as long as Odd Haugen has, so I need to make sure I stay healthy! No point in hitting a goal now, only to prevent my ability to grip in the future.

I believe I will try to train volume frequently, but only hit "1RM" level of effort once every two weeks.

I wish you longevity in this aswell brother!

That’s a clever way to think about it if you want to be in it for as long as Odd..

On things like PINCH, ROLLING THUNDER I never go below 4 reps, usually I’ll stick to 6 reps which let’s me recover well..

If I feel beat up I drop all reps down to 4, a 2 rep difference has a huge impact..

I do grippers once a week, but I’ve peaked so much that my recovery is still ongoing😅

The hardest thing in this sport is taking days off tbh..

I wish you the best of luck! 

• Like 1

Well, at the moment my gripper recovery is undetermined, because I appear to have done something to the index finger bone of my setting hand.

Really odd, full details in another topic, can't work it out. 

In general though, my finger flexors including tendons and everything else, seem to be fine if I train hard once every fourth day. 

If I train every other day, I need to make one of them a very high reps session (like sets of 20-35 reps). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gripperer said:

Well, at the moment my gripper recovery is undetermined, because I appear to have done something to the index finger bone of my setting hand.

Really odd, full details in another topic, can't work it out. 

In general though, my finger flexors including tendons and everything else, seem to be fine if I train hard once every fourth day. 

If I train every other day, I need to make one of them a very high reps session (like sets of 20-35 reps). 

I also have a odd thing going on with my setting hand, not from setting but I can’t put my finger on it😅

It’s good to auto regulate like you do, always evolve with time.

• Like 1