Smooth grippers

joehammer1010

Good morning everyone, I used to use the FBBC smooth grippers and loved them. I have psoriasis on my right hand so the other gripper types destroy the skin on that hand. Does anyone have any of them or know of any company making smooth handled grippers? Thanks guys I appreciate any help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joehammer1010 said:

...  Does anyone ...  know of any company making smooth handled grippers? Thanks guys I appreciate any help!

IronMind's Zenith series are smooth, but bulky.  Makes for a shorter range of motion closing them.

Occasionally @Cannon sells used GNC grippers and the ones I have are fairly smooth.  He's the expert though and may have more ideas.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I think FBBC would cost hundreds of $ these days.

I could advise you to buy RBA with smooth handles.

Or you could ask @Cannon if he could make some Standards with custom smooth handles for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, joehammer1010 said:

is a smooth gripper close to the old fbbc style something that could be made? 

What level? 

My recommendation is to take light sandpaper (like 150 or 180 grit) to  an IronMind gripper. Their knurling is honestly pretty smooth and all bite could be removed with a light touch of sandpaper. 

• Like 1

I have the 2x fbbc, which feels maybe around an ironmind 1.5? I remember when they made them they had a 1x 2x 3x and 4x I believe? Id like to get some close to a ironmind 2 and 3, if smooth regular grippers could be made?

I had a smooth FBBC gripper in the past - then managed to lose it - I can't remember what happened to it - probably eaten by the genie that hides stuff in my garage.  I liked the smooth handles a lot better than knurled.

• Like 1

It’s pretty easy to make a smooth handle gripper. Just skip the knurling step and everything else is the same. We could theoretically do this eventually but right now the priority is getting the main line back. We have a ton of other projects planned and it’s just a matter of actually getting to them. :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It’s pretty easy to make a smooth handle gripper. Just skip the knurling step and everything else is the same. We could theoretically do this eventually but right now the priority is getting the main line back. We have a ton of other projects planned and it’s just a matter of actually getting to them. :) 

Thanks, I appreciate everyones help on here, I'll keep an eye out down the road sometime then haha

22 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Just buy some sandpaper and remove the knurling.

What about doing the opposite and wrapping the knurling with medical tape or athletic tape?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

What about doing the opposite and wrapping the knurling with medical tape or athletic tape?

Also works of course. Only wrap the outside tho, so you don't decrease the ROM.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1