What's the ideal range of motion for the ulnar/radial deviation?

Dim_Sum_Kid

When doing the thing with a martial arts belt for ulnar/radial deviation, what sort of rang of motion amd I looking at? I see arm wrestlers do this a lot, but they barley move. Is that the proper range of motion? I looks too short to stimulate any strength gains

Also what rep ranges would you look at for strengthening?

15 hours ago, Dim_Sum_Kid said:

When doing the thing with a martial arts belt for ulnar/radial deviation, what sort of rang of motion amd I looking at? I see arm wrestlers do this a lot, but they barley move. Is that the proper range of motion? I looks too short to stimulate any strength gains

Also what rep ranges would you look at for strengthening?

The goal in AW is not ROM instead focus isometric strength, especially at the start of the match which is why most aren't doing full ROM movements. Just like pinch strength is all isometric strength....you do not need ROM to build strength. 

As far as rep ranges...what works for you may not be what works for me so try whatever feels right for you and see how you progress. I personally do not train those movement directly instead as an accessory with other movements. 

Range of motion in the wrist has a lot of variance, theres also loss/gain of range depending on wether your forearm is supinated/pronated/cupped 

Theres also issues with the radial nerve being stretched during these motions.

Do not try to force a greater ROM than what feel comfortable and stable.

I think as a general rule you can't go wrong with:

- full ROM with very light weight (30 reps), working up to light weight (20 reps) 

- limited ROM with medium weight (10 reps)

- static holds/lifts with medium-heavy weight

As a basic framework that's what has worked for me. There's no way I'm going full range supination/pronation for 3-5 reps!

More ROM = lower weight. It's a pretty reliable relationship. 

I made this Beginner Wrist Video couple months ago. Follow this basic routine, adjust it to your strengths/weaknesses and add various wrist exercises to your routine as you get stronger. ROM is individual specific. IMO, static holds done at end of wrist routine are the best to fortify that region. This routine is what I have done the last 5 years and it has proven to be highly effective.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Way cool video 

• Thanks 1