So this is what you can expect these days?

Fist of Fury

Just got a brand new Ironmind COC #3 and this is how it came delivered to me. Has to be some kind of record. Sure I've got off mount handles before by a little bit but this was outrageous. Prices are just going up but the quality goes down it seems.

Guess I have one more adjustable gripper. It ended up in the 150-153 range by just pushing the handles on. Which is what I was looking for so I will keep it there.

image.thumb.jpeg.fddc41a10e938e9aec9dc90fb1bad808.jpeg

IMCOC#3 adjustable handles.jpg

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Sad 2

Did you give IM a chance to rectify? Mistakes happen and I’m sure they’re not happy with that result either. That would tell more of the story here rather than just posting a “look at this” topic. :)

• Like 1

In terms of what to expect, this is absolutely an anomaly. We scrutinize and shut hundreds of IM grippers every year. I’ve never seen one like this; ever. This is shocking, but NOT what you can expect. I’m only being vocal because of how this was presented. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

In terms of what to expect, this is absolutely an anomaly. We scrutinize and shut hundreds of IM grippers every year. I’ve never seen one like this; ever. This is shocking, but NOT what you can expect. I’m only being vocal because of how this was presented. 

I have an old no.4 like this. It was for display because they didn’t want to sell it, so I bought it. Only one I’ve seen like it.

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Did you give IM a chance to rectify? Mistakes happen and I’m sure they’re not happy with that result either. That would tell more of the story here rather than just posting a “look at this” topic. :)

I told Randall about mine and he said don’t try to fix it, it’s got its own personality or something to that effect haha. But would certainly make it right I’m sure.

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

🤣

I rather post it publicly so people know how the quality control is.

This is how I always do and I always will.

And as you can see it doesn't need to be rectified because I fixed the gripper myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

I have an old no.4 like this. It was for display because they didn’t want to sell it, so I bought it. Only one I’ve seen like it.

Then it's completely fine. This gripper was bought from a reseller. Not good to let this slip through quality control in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

🤣

I rather post it publicly so people know how the quality control is.

This is how I always do and I always will.

And as you can see it doesn't need to be rectified because I fixed the gripper myself.

I'm with Cannon, mistakes happen and companies almost always are willing to rectify to end up with a satisfied customer (i.e. sending you another gripper and a discount for your next purchase)

• Like 1

On your modification, does the screw pinch against the spring or have you drilled into the spring? I just wonder about how often (if it does at all) work loose especially at a higher rating.

2 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

I'm with Cannon, mistakes happen and companies almost always are willing to rectify to end up with a satisfied customer (i.e. sending you another gripper and a discount for your next purchase)

I'm not interested in discounts or a new gripper, if I was I wouldn't have fixed the gripper myself. I just wanted to shed light on this because I think it was bad that this gripper even left the factory.

The forum don't let me change the title tho.

1 hour ago, Busa said:

On your modification, does the screw pinch against the spring or have you drilled into the spring? I just wonder about how often (if it does at all) work loose especially at a higher rating.

It locks the handle to the spring, there's two screws per handle. If you use M6 screws like I do they will not come loose no matter how hard the gripper is. I use M6 because I can put way more torque on those screws than the smaller ones, which comes loose since you can't put enough torque on them without breaking them.

You have place to put 4 screws per handle if you wanted to as well but IMO it's not necessary when you use M6.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm not interested in discounts or a new gripper, if I was I wouldn't have fixed the gripper myself. I just wanted to shed light on this because I think it was bad that this gripper even left the factory.

The forum don't let me change the title tho.

It locks the handle to the spring, there's two screws per handle. If you use M6 screws like I do they will not come loose no matter how hard the gripper is. I use M6 because I can put way more torque on those screws than the smaller ones, which comes loose since you can't put enough torque on them without breaking them.

You have place to put 4 screws per handle if you wanted to as well but IMO it's not necessary when you use M6.

yeah, maybe the QC guy was having a bad day and slipped some defective grippers. I wouldn't take it as a general quality statement on Ironmind products.

how did you separate the handle from the spring in the first place? by applying heat or just pulling?

7 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

how did you separate the handle from the spring in the first place? by applying heat or just pulling?

I am interested in this as well. If the handle moved by hand AT ALL this is failed glue, not a misaligned handle. If the glue is intact, it is actually fairly difficult to defeat with heat. Handles are by no means “easy” to remove. 

Given how this was presented, I do hope you had to apply heat. :) 

• Like 1

Even your teeth got grip

• Haha 1