Wrapping Already Bent Steel

DrBartlebee

Does anyone have a trick for wrapping steel you've already kinked/bent pretty far? I have some grade 8's and 5/16" grade 2's that are quite bent but I couldn't crush down to finish. I'll want to do them some day for a crush-specific workout when I'm stronger. Wrapping them after they're bent that far is hard because the other side of the bolt comes around and gets in the way. I end up having to tuck it in a weird way that doesn't get a tight, straight wrap. Any tips? Maybe using a vice or something?

I used to wrap my bent steel by hanging half of it off the counter top and using a pony clamp to hold the leather (or Ironmind blue pad, etc) tight while I wrapped it.  Then repeat on the other side.  

Edited by Mashmonster268
  • Like 1

Take another peice of steel of the same size and wrap it, then just push it on the threaded side. On the side with the head try wrap it loose first then try to torque on it so it get tighter. It can work if you have good leathers, probably won't work with something liike cordura tho.

Or simply just cut the head off.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 3

Ive never bent any grade 8s yet or anything very difficult... But people snap G8s... Couldn't you brace on leg after bend an open it up more, after you bent it?

Get a little bonus move thrown in there..

17 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Ive never bent any grade 8s yet or anything very difficult... But people snap G8s... Couldn't you brace on leg after bend an open it up more, after you bent it?

Get a little bonus move thrown in there..

Well, first off, opening a bolt requires protection. It's possible to do without wrapping, however it might be too hard for someone who can't bend that bolt to begin with. You could use a vise of course.

Even if you open it, you won't be able to wrap it properly, or it will be difficult to do so.

If you open it a lot, so it gets easy to wrap, there's a risk a grade 8 bolt will snap when you try to bend it again. Maybe not very likely it happen on the first bend but it's not impossible if it's a grade 8 bolt. They can snap very fast.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Well, first off, opening a bolt requires protection. It's possible to do without wrapping, however it might be too hard for someone who can't bend that bolt to begin with. You could use a vise of course.

Even if you open it, you won't be able to wrap it properly, or it will be difficult to do so.

If you open it a lot, so it gets easy to wrap, there's a risk a grade 8 bolt will snap when you try to bend it again. Maybe not very likely it happen on the first bend but it's not impossible if it's a grade 8 bolt. They can snap very fast.

You know, I just re read the question and misread it originally. I took it like @DrBartlebee wanted to open it back up to wrap it easier. I get the question now. 

I think you guys answered well enough.

• Like 1