Big hands better for fat bar?

AdriaanRobert96

So I’ve heard that big hands might be advantageous for RT and or anything fat bar related..

I myself as some of you know have fairly large hands for my size (1.83cm) but I feel that my RT is sort of on the lower end..

My 1RM is 85kg which seems low now doesn’t it?

Not quite sure what’s “good” or “average” etc etc.. 

Although my 1rm has improved by about 10-15kg since I last tried it about 3+ yeara ago.. 

Might have been from the last 9-10 months of hard gripper focus.. nonetheless, educated me on these numbers please :)

Note: I need to add that my version of RT is a Fat Gripz Extreme on a rolling handle which comes out at a bit above 70mms with the handle itself..

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So I’ve heard that big hands might be advantageous for RT and or anything fat bar related..

I myself as some of you know have fairly large hands for my size (1.83cm) but I feel that my RT is sort of on the lower end..

My 1RM is 85kg which seems low now doesn’t it?

Not quite sure what’s “good” or “average” etc etc.. 

Although my 1rm has improved by about 10-15kg since I last tried it about 3+ yeara ago.. 

Might have been from the last 9-10 months of hard gripper focus.. nonetheless, educated me on these numbers please :)

Note: I need to add that my version of RT is a Fat Gripz Extreme on a rolling handle which comes out at a bit above 70mms with the handle itself..

Fat Gripz Extreme has a thicker handle than the RT but it also doesn't roll.  Its hard to compare some handles like the RGT or Crusher are harder than RT and RT's kinda suck and seize up over time.  But 175lbs and up is a strong lift in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Fat Gripz Extreme has a thicker handle than the RT but it also doesn't roll.  Its hard to compare some handles like the RGT or Crusher are harder than RT and RT's kinda suck and seize up over time.  But 175lbs and up is a strong lift in my opinion.

Yeah it’s true, it doesn’t roll as smoothly but I’ve added it on one of these and it certainly doesn’t stay stuck😂

Handle: IMG_2306.jpeg.7d6d0090e676569655e6749ded6d12d8.jpeg

I think a RT is too expensive here in Sweden 300$ for a whole set😮‍💨😭

• Like 1

Large hands are the single biggest determining factor for all fat bar lifts.  Way back when someone came up with the "Fair Bar" concept of different sized bars for different sized hands.  Pretty flawed but the idea wasn't that far off.  Rolling Thunder lifts are proportional to how well that particular one spins and can't really be compared to much of anything.  There are other roiling handles that have good reliable spin and can be compared.  You are probably already aware that rolling handle lifts are much different than say the "Inch DB" at comp[arable weights.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Large hands are the single biggest determining factor for all fat bar lifts.  Way back when someone came up with the "Fair Bar" concept of different sized bars for different sized hands.  Pretty flawed but the idea wasn't that far off.  Rolling Thunder lifts are proportional to how well that particular one spins and can't really be compared to much of anything.  There are other roiling handles that have good reliable spin and can be compared.  You are probably already aware that rolling handle lifts are much different than say the "Inch DB" at comp[arable weights.

Oh man I so badly wanna try a RT sometime, or a Inch DB🥹

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yeah it’s true, it doesn’t roll as smoothly but I’ve added it on one of these and it certainly doesn’t stay stuck😂

Handle: IMG_2306.jpeg.7d6d0090e676569655e6749ded6d12d8.jpeg

I think a RT is too expensive here in Sweden 300$ for a whole set😮‍💨😭

There is a company somewhere, maybe Amsterdam thats selling rolling handles like the Rolling Grip Thing. Probably same factory in China. And i think they are fairly priced. If you do a little research here you might find it.

I still suck at them, but rolling handles are my favorite lift I think. I love the fight.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

There is a company somewhere, maybe Amsterdam thats selling rolling handles like the Rolling Grip Thing. Probably same factory in China. And i think they are fairly priced. If you do a little research here you might find it.

I still suck at them, but rolling handles are my favorite lift I think. I love the fight.

Oh is that so, I’ll have to take a look then because I really want one :) It’s a love hate relationship with this grip sport.. I literally want every and any equipment there is😂

At some point Fat Bar turns itself into a pinch lift as it gets too big to keep your fingers "under" the handle - so maybe be aware of that and train accordingly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, climber511 said:

At some point Fat Bar turns itself into a pinch lift as it gets too big to keep your fingers "under" the handle - so maybe be aware of that and train accordingly.

Thanks for the advice, I always curl the bar with my wrist super hard which helps a lot😅

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

How could you question that ? :) 

Not really questioning it per se, it’s more that I have fairly large hands and a 85kg 1rm doesn’t feel that “wow” so to speak😅

Just started working it once a week the past 2 months or so..

20 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Not really questioning it per se, it’s more that I have fairly large hands and a 85kg 1rm doesn’t feel that “wow” so to speak😅

Just started working it once a week the past 2 months or so..

85 kg with FGX is very good.

IM RT is dogshit, numbers on those doesn't really tell you much. They are so inconsistent. If you want to compare your lifts to others you need to use somthing which is designed to be consistent in it's performance.

If you want something with 60 mm size, I recommend the LGC rolling handle, sold by Arne Persson. However it's made in small quantities and he doesn't always have them in stock.

Otherwise I recommend Robert Baraban's 60 mm rolling handle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

85 kg with FGX is very good.

IM RT is dogshit, numbers on those doesn't really tell you much. They are so inconsistent. If you want to compare your lifts to others you need to use somthing which is designed to be consistent in it's performance.

If you want something with 60 mm size, I recommend the LGC rolling handle, sold by Arne Persson. However it's made in small quantities and he doesn't always have them in stock.

Otherwise I recommend Robert Baraban's 60 mm rolling handle.

Appreciate that pal, also I’ll definitely will give that a lool.. I’d prefer to not pay 300 bucks for RT anyways😮‍💨

17 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Appreciate that pal, also I’ll definitely will give that a lool.. I’d prefer to not pay 300 bucks for RT anyways😮‍💨

It's not worth paying anything for. You'd be better off just wrapping a towel around a dumbbell. It was great that IM came up with the idea but they should really change their design of it.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

12 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh is that so, I’ll have to take a look then because I really want one :) It’s a love hate relationship with this grip sport.. I literally want every and any equipment there is😂

RGT clone (goldengrip) 

This is the european RGT clone, if you wanna call it that. I have one myself and it definitely spins way smoother than anything else I've tried.

They're not in stock right now, but I'm willing to sell mine, if you're interested. It has only been used a couple times.

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

RGT clone (goldengrip) 

This is the european RGT clone, if you wanna call it that. I have one myself and it definitely spins way smoother than anything else I've tried.

They're not in stock right now, but I'm willing to sell mine, if you're interested. It has only been used a couple times.

Will get back to you as soon as I got the time, thanks pal!

• Like 1