When did you train grippers seriously?

AdriaanRobert96

So out of curiosity when did you start to train grippers “seriously” .. like going from “just trying to close grippers, and or being all over the place” to “I kind of know what I am doing now and doing it consistently” ?

• Like 1

September 2022

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

September 2022

Insane fam😈Only 5 weeks after me🫡

Oh boy....I started and stopped then started and stopped the started and stopped

Started 2005 till 2007

Then 2011

Then 2020 to present

• Like 1

Never serious with grippers.  The only time I ever trained them at all was for an upcoming competition.

• Like 1

Attempted my first gripper close in July 2021, but didn't officially start training weekly with them until around October/November 2021.

• Like 1

I got my first set of Iron Mind grippers in the mid 90s. Probably started getting serious about grip stuff in the mid-2000s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stranger said:

Oh boy....I started and stopped then started and stopped the started and stopped

Started 2005 till 2007

Then 2011

Then 2020 to present

Oh man that makes feel like a damn puppy😂, I swear I didn’t even know what grippers were in 2005😅

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Never serious with grippers.  The only time I ever trained them at all was for an upcoming competition.

How long before comp did you usually start training?

3 hours ago, Jared P said:

Attempted my first gripper close in July 2021, but didn't officially start training weekly with them until around October/November 2021.

So fairly new.

When I bought my grippers it was mostly the hype for me, I was just curious to see how strong I was..

And let me tell you I wasn’t that strong😂Could barely get 20 reps with a plastic gripper.

After that I got my Iron Mind Grippers, played around for a while, got hurt twice which took me over a year combined to heal :( 

After that I lost interest but started again in exactly .. around the beginning of August 2022.. that’s when I stuck to it for real.

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

I got my first set of Iron Mind grippers in the mid 90s. Probably started getting serious about grip stuff in the mid-2000s

It’s impressive how you been at it for longer than I’ve been alive almost🫡Jeez!

This is my journey :D 

When I bought my grippers it was mostly the hype for me, I was just curious to see how strong I was..

And let me tell you I wasn’t that strong, I could barely get 20 reps with a plastic gripper.

After that I got my Iron Mind Grippers, played around for a while, got hurt twice which took me over a year combined to heal and it demotivated me and I stopped even looking at the grippers until recently :( 

Started again in exactly .. around the beginning of August 2022.. that’s when I stuck to it for real and I am happy I did because I love it🥹

I don't remember when I bought my COCS but it was my first set of grip equipment. I took the training serious right away but had no idea what i was doing.  I'd like to train with them again but there is no room in my routine for it right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don't remember when I bought my COCS but it was my first set of grip equipment. I took the training serious right away but had no idea what i was doing.  I'd like to train with them again but there is no room in my routine for it right now.

I feel you with the “no room for more” but hey, you can always change things up whenever you feel like it or get the motivation going :D

6 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

How long before comp did you usually start training?

I thrive on variety and did (and still do) a huge variety of exercises for not only my grip but my entire body all year long.  I never entirely quit training my grip but 10 or so weeks out I would start with about 3 or so weeks of Power Forearms and Finger Curls - building up to very serious weights (for me)( if I had a secret - this was it - if I topped out my wrist curl at 200# I would always have a good meet).  This was the base phase (and critical to everything) - then I'd add various fat bar - pinch - levering - ISG and any specialized competition items (no nutcracker style grippers yet).  4 to 5 weeks out I'd go to duplicating the pieces of the contest (including Grippers - including in choker and the Medley)- still doing my whole body stuff but backed off a little.  Exactly 7 days before the comp I'd do the actual competition events 2 times through as hard as possible (killer day).  Then nothing except a very light overall warmup whole body 4 days out.  A little massage and stretching 3 days out - then eat and rest rest rest until the comp.  Even today I'm probably within 20% of contest shape on most standard events and would need maybe 4 - 5 weeks to prepare for events for which I have the skill set developed.  I never ever train grippers except for a contest which included them - which probably explains why I suck at them LOL.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I thrive on variety and did (and still do) a huge variety of exercises for not only my grip but my entire body all year long.  I never entirely quit training my grip but 10 or so weeks out I would start with about 3 or so weeks of Power Forearms and Finger Curls - building up to very serious weights (for me)( if I had a secret - this was it - if I topped out my wrist curl at 200# I would always have a good meet).  This was the base phase (and critical to everything) - then I'd add various fat bar - pinch - levering - ISG and any specialized competition items (no nutcracker style grippers yet).  4 to 5 weeks out I'd go to duplicating the pieces of the contest (including Grippers - including in choker and the Medley)- still doing my whole body stuff but backed off a little.  Exactly 7 days before the comp I'd do the actual competition events 2 times through as hard as possible (killer day).  Then nothing except a very light overall warmup whole body 4 days out.  A little massage and stretching 3 days out - then eat and rest rest rest until the comp.  Even today I'm probably within 20% of contest shape on most standard events and would need maybe 4 - 5 weeks to prepare for events for which I have the skill set developed.  I never ever train grippers except for a contest which included them - which probably explains why I suck at them LOL.

Wow man that’s impressive to say the least😮‍💨

Also that 200lbs wrist curl is mad😈, I’ll probably start focusing on climber curls/ wrist curls when I have closed the #4.. 

Love them curls👍🏼

Started nine years ago, hit a brick wall plateau already after a few months of training. I can't believe I'm still doing this to be honest :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Started nine years ago, hit a brick wall plateau already after a few months of training. I can't believe I'm still doing this to be honest :D 

You’re a damn veteran in the sport, mad respect for still sticking to it legend😎

What does your training look like these days?

5 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

You’re a damn veteran in the sport, mad respect for still sticking to it legend😎

What does your training look like these days?

🤣 Not in to it for the sport. I don't compete and I never will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

🤣 Not in to it for the sport. I don't compete and I never will.

Well still😅I won’t compete either (or so I think now atleast) but I love every second of training!