Sledgehammer finger walks

Gripperer

I've incorporated finger walks recently for high volume and frequency as both a recovery tool and warm-up. I know @Jedd Johnson has spoke highly of these. 

But how about as a primary thumb developer? My thumb is ready to explode after a few sets, although granted, it would be considered endurance work. 

I've been performing finger walks at every grip workout, but also on recovery days too, and I'm interested to see whether or not this will add to thumb size, meaning a potentially improved gripper performance... 

Regardless, I'm finding them valuable as a "hand" exercise as opposed to a forearm exercise... I think sometimes in the grip world we can focus on macro movements and neglect more dextrous activities that activate the muscles intrinsic to the hand (maybe I'm speaking for myself here).

Anyone else a fan? 

• Like 2

Definitely more of a “thumb” or “hand” exercise than a forearm exercise. I’ve not done them in a long time but I remember liking them. Will probably add them into my training routine again

• Like 2

I love these for recovery.  Not sure how much I would say they bring up your thumb or hand strength.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, Gripperer said:

I've incorporated finger walks recently for high volume and frequency as both a recovery tool and warm-up. I know @Jedd Johnson has spoke highly of these. 

But how about as a primary thumb developer? My thumb is ready to explode after a few sets, although granted, it would be considered endurance work. 

I've been performing finger walks at every grip workout, but also on recovery days too, and I'm interested to see whether or not this will add to thumb size, meaning a potentially improved gripper performance... 

Regardless, I'm finding them valuable as a "hand" exercise as opposed to a forearm exercise... I think sometimes in the grip world we can focus on macro movements and neglect more dextrous activities that activate the muscles intrinsic to the hand (maybe I'm speaking for myself here).

Anyone else a fan? 

I know this is an older thread but thought I'd chime in as I've been training these for months. 

I started training these months ago using a sledgehammer but after a couple of workouts in I tried them using a light steel mace or macebell and adding plates over the handle  and I've never looked back.

The round handle of the mace feels better to me than a sledgehammer although the macebell is slicker with the powder coating so I find them a smidge more difficult.

I've started about 10 weeks ago at 10lbs and I'm up to 18lbs as of yesterday, my thumb pad and hand muscles have really gained size(despite cutting 15lbs in BW) from them which has shocked me as Ive always struggled with gaining hand thickness. I think the dynamic nature of them is what has done it, my thumb pads get pumped up crazy after a few sets and the muscle has really noticeably increased.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2