How often to people say "your going to wreck your hands"?

Blacksmith513

This might apply more to bending and levering but grip too. Having beers with my uncle yesterday and showed him a video of me bending some DR, again he said "i'm telling you your going to mess your hands up". He was/is a mason and doing bodywork on cars since the 70s. Then he goes on this spiel how how he used to close vise grips as hard as he could and using wrenches and he's had to get surgery a few times on his hands.

I said theres a risk with everything, but the body is highly adaptive and if you train smart, use progressive overload and do plenty of prehab you can minimize the risks. Still went right over his head.   What he did was going about things like a monkey screwing a football and thats how he screwed his hands up. I doubt he traveled with an Ironmind egg, extensor bands and Sidewinder like I do when going on car rides.😂

I always remind people, you can trip while taking your dog for a walk and hurt something. Him and other people aren't even necessarily wrong, but I just find it hilarious how people think they know everything about stuff they know nothing about.  The rewards outweigh the risks if you ask me. Think of all the injuries we avoid by having conditioned our tendons and ligaments and bones. 

Just wondering how you guys handle things like this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I've only really ever got this from random youtube strangers so I've never really had to say anything, but if I did I would probably remind them I'm a physical therapy student & know a lot more about what I actually do to my body and how to minimize risks than anyone that would actually say something like that to me, & take very good care of my body...I'm an adult with zero back pain for example, which most people can't say for one thing. I live a very different lifestyle than what is considered normal for the average american

At the end of the day you don't owe anyone an explanation for why you do something that you do nor is it your job to spend all day trying to educate them to understand your point of view, just let them think what they want, you're probably not going to change their minds anyways

Yup, you are 100% right, and you have the knowledge and education to back up what you say.  I don't have to explain or educate myself to anyone. It just would be nice to be able to talk about my goals or something thats going on in my life without hearing that.  I'm not like a lot of people, I listen and try to learn and don't talk a lot or over talk people... I just get dumbfounded that a lot of people aren't like that. You can't learn if your mouth is open.

I'm about to be 30 in like 3 weeks. Been doing construction since 15, and for the most part working 6 days a week. I wish I started strength training like i'm doing now 10 years ago but other than that I really can't complain when I think of some of the stuff i've done. I'm entering my 30s in much better shape than anyone in my family or even people I went to school with. I really try hard to take care of my body now. Thats more important than any grip or bending goal of mine because I want to do this stuff till the day I die.

• Like 2

No matter what you do there will be a price to pay.  Do nothing and you will pay a price - do something and there will be a price to pay - no matter what that something is.  Maybe a big price - maybe it's small .  Only you can decide if it is worth it.  But I'll give you my two cents - live your life with no regrets - go at it as hard or as easy as you choose.  I have done a few things I regret but my major regrets now at my age all revolve around the things I didn't get around to doing.  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

• Like 7

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

No matter what you do there will be a price to pay.  Do nothing and you will pay a price - do something and there will be a price to pay - no matter what that something is.  Maybe a big price - maybe it's small .  Only you can decide if it is worth it.  But I'll give you my two cents - live your life with no regrets - go at it as hard or as easy as you choose.  I have done a few things I regret but my major regrets now at my age all revolve around the things I didn't get around to doing.  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Well said.

I also recently heard a quote along the lines of, "Happy or miserable, the amount of work is the same." i.e., you're going to have the same amount of suffering either way. May as well suffer doing things worthwhile.

• Like 1

I have had my “Medicare Card “ for YEARS now. My brother gave me an IronMind Trainer for Christmas 1998. My hands are more injury free than most. No, i never did any bending, but other than that, I have been hitting them hard all these years.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

I don't talk to people. Problem solved.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Ha, I was just about to comment this. Literally no one outside of my wife, kids, and in-laws (next door neighbors) even knows that I do any grip work. Apart from this forum, of course. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Just to play devil's advocate, there are some people that do and will wreck their hands...on /r/griptraining there are frequently new people that just got grippers and do them every day all day at their office desk or whatever that report having swollen blue hands, that doing 1 more rep causes them more pain etc...I've seen people say they are doing hundreds of reps every day for weeks. You certainly CAN train poorly and end up with carpel tunnel syndrome, end up getting surgery for it etc..but if you train smart and strategically (and esp what you do while not training) you can drastically reduce the chances of stuff like that. I've never had a carpal tunnel syndrome symptom before. So this is probably what people picture when they say those things, or the person saying it could have eaten 20 big macs, watched 30 hours of TV and drank 3 cases of beer in the past week before telling you you're going to injure your hand, etc etc. Anything comes with risks but it's also your choice and your responsibility to evaluate those risks. I don't walk around telling people "you're going to ____ because you do/don't ____", even if I know something to be actually true based on evidence in that sense. Another example I've offered to let people try my neck training equipment or other equipment and have had people too scared to even try, the same people that have never counted a calorie in their life and eat food because it tastes good, not for any quantifiable or nutritional goal. Some people just live different lives and have different goals.

They diagnosed me with Carpal tunnel syndrome years ago. If I go crazy with my training it starts to creep back in.

i know when it’s bad because i wake up numb multiple times and have to shake it out. Plus my grip suffers…been up and down with my training ever since. 
I just wasn’t taking care of myself; I roll my forearms out daily now and have been getting better every workout. And I’m not walking around with my fingers curled up all the time anymore haha they are more relaxed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I don't either.. I got one friend in the world and F#$# him too!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Just to play devil's advocate, there are some people that do and will wreck their hands...on /r/griptraining there are frequently new people that just got grippers and do them every day all day at their office desk or whatever that report having swollen blue hands, that doing 1 more rep causes them more pain etc...I've seen people say they are doing hundreds of reps every day for weeks. You certainly CAN train poorly and end up with carpel tunnel syndrome, end up getting surgery for it etc..but if you train smart and strategically (and esp what you do while not training) you can drastically reduce the chances of stuff like that. I've never had a carpal tunnel syndrome symptom before. So this is probably what people picture when they say those things, or the person saying it could have eaten 20 big macs, watched 30 hours of TV and drank 3 cases of beer in the past week before telling you you're going to injure your hand, etc etc. Anything comes with risks but it's also your choice and your responsibility to evaluate those risks. I don't walk around telling people "you're going to ____ because you do/don't ____", even if I know something to be actually true based on evidence in that sense. Another example I've offered to let people try my neck training equipment or other equipment and have had people too scared to even try, the same people that have never counted a calorie in their life and eat food because it tastes good, not for any quantifiable or nutritional goal. Some people just live different lives and have different goals.

Like I said, if you go about things stupidly, odds are your results are going to be stupid.  

There are some things, more old time strongman, id never do. Like biting coins, bending stuff over my nose... Chris Wonder Schoek chipped a tooth in his documentary biting a coin, Slim said he lost some vision in an eye because of performing bends over their nose. Thats dumb but thats also only my opinion... Also, training the neck can literally save your life. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I have had my “Medicare Card “ for YEARS now. My brother gave me an IronMind Trainer for Christmas 1998. My hands are more injury free than most. No, i never did any bending, but other than that, I have been hitting them hard all these years.

Haha, hope it never happens but it would be something if 70 year old me knocked myself in the face levering a hammer and had to explain that the Doc.

21 hours ago, climber511 said:

You always have right words and wisdom. As I approach 30, there are a few things I regret not doing.

• Like 2

Never heard anyone say that to me. However I've have met some people who think they have a strong grip then they get humbled pretty hard when they can't move the #3 gripper more than a few mm's. And not even close the #2.

Actually now when I think about it. There was one time a guy told me "don't do it" when I bent a 6 mm nail barehanded. But I don't blame him for saying that :D