Is this a legit #3.5 close?

AdriaanRobert96

Sup grip maniacsšŸ˜‚

Hope yaā€™ll doing well, I was just doing my regular ā€volumeā€ workout which I have 1-2 weeks left of..

Felt like I was going to take it easy, thought Iā€™d end the workout with 3 CCS reps on the #3..

Then I thought, letā€™s see if I made some progress during these weeks.

Hereā€™s my official video proof of my 2nd #3.5 close:Ā 

Ā 

Feel free to like if you think it was legit at allšŸ‘šŸ¼Thank you!

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 7

The angle is tough and I think a direct view would give clarity. And whenever you're in a situation where you're freeze-framing and looking for a close... that is kind of your answer. Since the angle is bad, I feel a close is not certain here. But in terms of a training attempt that is a GREAT effort and might as well be closed. It won't be long and you'll pin the handles together for sure.Ā Ā 

• Like 4

Yeah, the angle makes it tough to determine. But if it isnā€™t closed, itā€™s super close!
Ā 

I run into the same problem when filming sometimes. Youā€™ll think youā€™re in a good spot because you have the bottom of the handles angled at the camera when you start, but when you actually go to close, there will be natural ulnar deviation at the end of the close. At that point the handles are angled away, and you end up seeing a lot of pinkie. I find that my best video captures are when I set up slightly behind the camera at an angle to where the end range ulnar deviation results in the handles directly facing the camera.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't give it a white light, but it is likely closed.Ā  It is really important that you practice filming, unless you never plan on officially certifying.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

The angle is tough and I think a direct view would give clarity. And whenever you're in a situation where you're freeze-framing and looking for a close... that is kind of your answer. Since the angle is bad, I feel a close is not certain here. But in terms of a training attempt that is a GREAT effort and might as well be closed. It won't be long and you'll pin the handles together for sure.Ā Ā 

Yeah the angle truly sucks to be fair, but I canā€™t seem to find a great angle for filming these:/

Also I wanted to supinate my hand a little more to make it more visible but I lose strengt then.

Eh, more to comešŸ˜‚šŸ‘šŸ¼

Thanks for the feedback!

54 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, the angle makes it tough to determine. But if it isnā€™t closed, itā€™s super close!
Ā 

I run into the same problem when filming sometimes. Youā€™ll think youā€™re in a good spot because you have the bottom of the handles angled at the camera when you start, but when you actually go to close, there will be natural ulnar deviation at the end of the close. At that point the handles are angled away, and you end up seeing a lot of pinkie. I find that my best video captures are when I set up slightly behind the camera at an angle to where the end range ulnar deviation results in the handles directly facing the camera.Ā 

Yeah thatā€™s my issue aswell, Iā€™ll definitely try your advice on the next heavy closes :DĀ Thanks a lot!

21 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I wouldn't give it a white light, but it is likely closed.Ā  It is really important that you practice filming, unless you never plan on officially certifying.

I definitely need more practice filmingšŸ˜‚I had the same issue with my #3, I got some tips now so Iā€™ll keep em coming!

Ā 

3 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Practice filming with lighter grippers so that you can find what angle, height and lighting for the camera works best so that you are prepared for heavier gripper closes that don't need to be questioned. It's a pain but you only need to do it once.

Hehe, yeah I very obviosuly need some filming training for these closes..

I did the same thing with the #3 back when I closed it.

Itā€™s exactly like @DoctorOfCrushĀ said, you think the angle is right at the start then it turns out to be like thisšŸ˜­

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Practice filming with lighter grippers so that you can find what angle, height and lighting for the camera works best so that you are prepared for heavier gripper closes that don't need to be questioned. It's a pain but you only need to do it once.

This 100%. If Iā€™m planning on filming on a particular day, I film my warmups as Iā€™m going to test the conditions that day.Ā 
Ā 

As much overkill as it may be, I recently bought a cheap Amazon ring light/phone holder/tripod with a small footprint. You can articulate it and change the height to get it into a good spot. It was less than $20, and it works great.Ā 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

This 100%. If Iā€™m planning on filming on a particular day, I film my warmups as Iā€™m going to test the conditions that day.Ā 
Ā 

As much overkill as it may be, I recently bought a cheap Amazon ring light/phone holder/tripod with a small footprint. You can articulate it and change the height to get it into a good spot. It was less than $20, and it works great.Ā 

Iā€™ll definitely keep this in mind, it ainā€™t my first nor last close so Iā€™ll figure that damn angle outšŸ˜‚

7 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I used to do ok sometimes and sometimes have bad videos but I needed to get it together before I did MM1. I now have marks of tape on my floor where my tripod stands, and use the exact same tripod height every time. It anything is off I end up going out of frame. And I pretty much always stand in the same spot every time. So I very rarely get a bad video now. I don't film any of my warmups anymore, just when I'm about to do something exciting pretty much. Maybe 2-3 sets of the whole session.

Great advice, Iā€™ll mark my whole damn room if I have tošŸ˜‚

6 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Looks like you are looking to see if itā€™s closed, instead of the camera getting to see. Stop peeking šŸ«£Ā 

HahašŸ˜‚I kind of wanted to supinate it a little more for the camera but midway I remembered I lose strength by doing sošŸ˜­

• Like 1

As the others said, practice filming. CoC handles are chamfered down a lot (compared to for example Standards), and from this angle, we can see only the handle ends clearlyĀ when the close is happening. And the chamfered end of the handles can never touch of course.Ā 

If you say you saw it and it was closed, I believe you. It's a training close. It's just hard to say based on the video.Ā 
Very strong btw!šŸ‘

Edited by matek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice work, you did a better job closing the gripper than filming itšŸ˜œ

Ā 

itā€™s a very solid effort and looks like a close but itā€™s hard to say.. Either way your there.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, matek said:

As the others said, practice filming. CoC handles are chamfered down a lot (compared to for example Standards), and from this angle, we can see only the handle ends clearlyĀ when the close is happening. And the chamfered end of the handles can never touch of course.Ā 

If you say you saw it and it was closed, I believe you. It's a training close. It's just hard to say based on the video.Ā 
Very strong btw!šŸ‘

Yes siršŸ˜ŠMuch appreciated and of course I definitely need more training filming it, Iā€™ll buy a tripod for my future closesšŸ‘šŸ¼

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work, you did a better job closing the gripper than filming itšŸ˜œ

Ā 

itā€™s a very solid effort and looks like a close but itā€™s hard to say.. Either way your there.

Haha, yeahšŸ˜…

Thanks pal, who knew filming angles would be a needed skill in gripper trainingšŸ˜‚

Iā€™ll get myself a tripod for future videos.

• Like 1

Close looked good, strong as hellĀ šŸ’Ŗ

Video is very poor so I would not let it pass because of that. You really need to show that there's not even the slightest gap. Gripper closes are hard to judge even IRL, it's actually easiest to judge them with a good video. If the video doesn't have the right angle like this one it's not possible to judge. Gripper could have been closed but it's not possible to say for certain because of the angle.

Change your starting position, practice with the easiest gripper you have. Move up slowly and try to get used to the right angle. Yes, this can be difficult, it's part of the challenge as I see it.

If it really doesn't work, you could always have someone film the closes for you. But that require that you educate that person on how to film properly, this is not always as easy as it seems either. So my suggestion is that you practice it yourself.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Close looked good, strong as hellĀ šŸ’Ŗ

Video is very poor so I would not let it pass because of that. You really need to show that there's not even the slightest gap. Gripper closes are hard to judge even IRL, it's actually easiest to judge them with a good video. If the video doesn't have the right angle like this one it's not possible to judge. Gripper could have been closed but it's not possible to say for certain because of the angle.

Change your starting position, practice with the easiest gripper you have. Move up slowly and try to get used to the right angle. Yes, this can be difficult, it's part of the challenge as I see it.

If it really doesn't work, you could always have someone film the closes for you. But that require that you educate that person on how to film properly, this is not always as easy as it seems either. So my suggestion is that you practice it yourself.

Hey pal, glad to see you throw some feedback my way :DĀ 

I tried letting someone film my closes before but didnā€™t turn out too wellšŸ˜‚Ā 

So Iā€™ll have to go slowly like you said and build myself up with lighter grippers, sounds like a decent plan.

Them camera angles are deceiving me šŸ˜•Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hey pal, glad to see you throw some feedback my way :DĀ 

I tried letting someone film my closes before but didnā€™t turn out too wellšŸ˜‚Ā 

So Iā€™ll have to go slowly like you said and build myself up with lighter grippers, sounds like a decent plan.

Them camera angles are deceiving me šŸ˜•Ā 

Yes I know it's not as easy as one might think. I also tried to have someone film my closes but it was actually harder trying to instruct the person than doing it myself.

I've also tried to film others doing gripper closes and that also require practice because I'm better at filming myself closing than others. Because i don't know their moving patters.

Filming is an art, making good film require practice for sure. I think you can see that when looking at the really high budget Hollywood movies versus a budget movie. You can see that those people can't even film nearly as good. It takes some skill to be really good at it.

I think it's even harder to film yourself doing gripper closes. You really need to learn how you move when doing closes, so that you end up in the right position for the close, while also still having the setting shown and the gripper not leaving the frame etc.

It becomes more difficult the harder your effort is as well. That's why you should start with lighter grippers then move up, try to replicate it with harder grippers as good as you can.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes I know it's not as easy as one might think. I also tried to have someone film my closes but it was actually harder trying to instruct the person than doing it myself.

I've also tried to film others doing gripper closes and that also require practice because I'm better at filming myself closing than others. Because i don't know their moving patters.

Filming is an art, making good film require practice for sure. I think you can see that when looking at the really high budget Hollywood movies versus a budget movie. You can see that those people can't even film nearly as good. It takes some skill to be really good at it.

I think it's even harder to film yourself doing gripper closes. You really need to learn how you move when doing closes, so that you end up in the right position for the close, while also still having the setting shown and the gripper not leaving the frame etc.

It becomes more difficult the harder your effort is as well. That's why you should start with lighter grippers then move up, try to replicate it with harder grippers as good as you can.

I couldnā€™t have said it better myself man, it truly is art!

Iā€™ll see how Sundays gripper training goes and hopefully Iā€™ll get better at filmingšŸ‘šŸ¼

I really appreciate all the advice you share šŸ‘‘ and I am also looking forward to that 212RGC #4 šŸ˜Ž