Gripper addiction

Scottex92

I am completely in love with torsion spring hand grippers. The feeling of the handles touching is superb and brings me such joy that any lift feels dull in comparison (maybe deadlifting comes close).

I really hate that it is so taxing on the hands and the recovery is so slow (ATM I am doing them 2 times per week)

Is it good to do more volume with lighter grippers or am I just screwing up my recovery?

• Like 4

I agree with you. Hand grippers are very addicting. It's hard not to want to train with them every day. Right now I'm training with Grippers three days a week. Seems to work good for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

I agree with you. Hand grippers are very addicting. It's hard not to want to train with them every day. Right now I'm training with Grippers three days a week. Seems to work good for now.

I feel that I am only able to do two times per week heavy trainings, do you have a light/technique dayP

6 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

I am completely in love with torsion spring hand grippers. The feeling of the handles touching is superb and brings me such joy that any lift feels dull in comparison (maybe deadlifting comes close).

I really hate that it is so taxing on the hands and the recovery is so slow (ATM I am doing them 2 times per week)

Is it good to do more volume with lighter grippers or am I just screwing up my recovery?

It depends on your goals and your recovery. With what I’ve been doing low reps probably 75-90% of max has been going good. If you  want to get stronger I don’t see the point in high reps. If you are training for endurance than yes it’s a great idea.

I feel ya. The addiction is real. I think gripper work takes trial and error. Starting out, you may be able to get away with some higher volume, which can also help beef your skin up. If you want to see how you respond to really high volume, you can see how you do with RRBT. I’ve not personally been able to make it through, but it certainly toughens the hands however much you do.
My current approach includes two days a week similar to a dynamic effort day and max effort day. I’m still progressing using this, but if I stagnate/plateau, I’ll change it up. 

• Like 3

Yeah, hard to explain gripper addiction in a way that perfectly encapsulates all of their qualities, but I love them, and as silly as it may sound, they are one of my favorite things in the world.

I love closing them, training with them, looking at them, holding them, collecting them, thinking about them, talking about them, modifying them. All of it.

I think it's a combination of their aesthetic qualities, tactile qualities, material qualities, culture surrounding them, history behind their design and use, record heavy closes and athletes who train them, effect on dopamine and testosterone, their rating variability and uniqueness, etc.

Above all, I think they provide tangible goals that feel achievable, or worth pursuing. To paraphrase some popular quotes, "happiness is having a purpose or goal to pursue", "without a vision, people perish".

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Jared P said:

Yeah, hard to explain gripper addiction in a way that perfectly encapsulates all of their qualities, but I love them, and as silly as it may sound, they are one of my favorite things in the world.

I love closing them, training with them, looking at them, holding them, collecting them, thinking about them, talking about them, modifying them. All of it.

I think it's a combination of their aesthetic qualities, tactile qualities, material qualities, culture surrounding them, history behind their design and use, record heavy closes and athletes who train them, effect on dopamine and testosterone, their rating variability and uniqueness, etc.

Above all, I think they provide tangible goals that feel achievable, or worth pursuing. To paraphrase some popular quotes, "happiness is having a purpose or goal to pursue", "without a vision, people perish".

Yeah, and on top of this I think grippers are underrated in terms of their carryover. 

Ultimately you are trying to push through and contain within the hand an enormous pressure, using maximum exertion in the hand's strongest position (closed fist with all finger flexors engaged). 

It's almost the "deadlift" of forearm movements. 

I think if you had a guy train nothing but grippers, of course he wouldn't be well rounded, but his grip would be murderous and would carry over to several real world functions. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 5:09 AM, Jared P said:

Beautiful how you describe the love for grippers. I feel have the exact same feeling about them... at the same time grippers can also be so very frustrating because of the erratic nature of training with them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same here. I haven't been involved with grip sport nearly as long as any of you guys, but I as well am very addicted. It's a habit that has taken over everything I do and what I spent the most money on. For these reasons and a few more, I train with them pretty often, almost 4 times a week. It's horrible on me I imagine. To make it worse, I use the lighter ones, like the coc #1 and 1.5 as anxiety relievers and basic entertainment. Idk, it seems to almost have done almost as much harm as it did good, but I wouldn't trade it for much else. 

Edited by LABZSTS