What reps and sets worked for your gripper work?

AdriaanRobert96

So short and sweet, what kind of rep and set scheme has worked for your gripper strength increase?

Higher reps, lower reps or maybe a mix of both?

Personally I have to seamlessly work in periods of higher volume and lower volume aswell.

So an example might be 8-12 weeks of volume work where main working gripper is going up to as high as 12 reps..

On the low volume period I go for attempts and or closes that I can get for 1 reps, maybe 2.

Share what’s worked for you good people?

Low reps, filed grippers for beyond the range, and strap holds worked for me.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

Low reps, filed grippers for beyond the range, and strap holds worked for me.

Alright alright, interesting :) How low are we talking?

Btw, love the filed grippers😍

Posted on another thread,

Starting to think about a possible future training style that makes sense:

- All grippers that have already been closed from CCS or TNS, get filed to increase range of motion and beyond the range training.

- Each goal gripper at RGC max first gets put in a choker set to around 10mm or so, then widened as the closes for reps are achieved (Jaland Worley style) until you can eventually CCS (then remove choker and proceed to TNS) that gripper. Meanwhile, the next goal gripper above that one is now placed in a choker set to 10mm and the process repeated. These goal grippers that now can be closed from CCS or TNS then get filed for beyond the range, so all that all of your grippers below your RGC max are now filed.

This seems like a bulletproof strategy, but would have to try it first. Also, wouldn't want to mess up my grippers by filing them incorrectly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jared P said:

- All grippers that have already been closed from CCS or TNS, get filed to increase range of motion and beyond the range training.

- Each goal gripper at RGC max first gets put in a choker set to around 10mm or so, then widened as the closes for reps are achieved (Jaland Worley style) until you can eventually CCS (then remove choker and proceed to TNS) that gripper. Meanwhile, the next goal gripper above that one is now placed in a choker set to 10mm and the process repeated. These goal grippers that now can be closed from CCS or TNS then get filed for beyond the range, so all that all of your grippers below your RGC max are now filed.

This seems like a bulletproof strategy, but would have to try it first. Also, wouldn't want to mess up my grippers by filing them incorrectly.

You can't un-file...I highly recommend filing, but unless it's a very easy warmup gripper that you only use to warmup, I wouldn't recommend filing unless you have a duplicate or close duplicate of the gripper you plan to file. Because there will be times you need a certain RGC and want it to be un-filed. But that's just just me & how I organize things....I have ones I can CCS that i keep unfiled to CCS again, because I already have a backup gripper of it to file down, etc. CCS'ing filed is definitely fun.

I have every single one of my warmup grippers filed. But for moderate to heavy grippers I like having the option of going either route

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Alright alright, interesting :) How low are we talking?

Btw, love the filed grippers😍

My work sets were typically 1-3 reps if I was going 5 heavy sets.   If I was doing 3 heavy sets I usually stayed in the 3-5 reps range.  I never felt I got a lot of of 5’s because position/leverage would typically shift.    If it was a strap hold day I tried to stay with 3-5 heavyish singles before straps because strapholds were so taxing.  

I only had a few filed grippers, a #3 that was filed down to around 3/8” or so, a Grand Master that was in the mid 150’s I think and an Elite that was 168 I think.    I started doing strapholds with the files grippers so I was under the range when the metal strap was added  

If I still trained seriously I think I’d experiment with setting every work rep as if it were a single.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Indeed an interesting style of training, very different I feel like :D 

They aint cheap so I get it😅

11 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

My work sets were typically 1-3 reps if I was going 5 heavy sets.   If I was doing 3 heavy sets I usually stayed in the 3-5 reps range.  I never felt I got a lot of of 5’s because position/leverage would typically shift.    If it was a strap hold day I tried to stay with 3-5 heavyish singles before straps because strapholds were so taxing.  

I only had a few filed grippers, a #3 that was filed down to around 3/8” or so, a Grand Master that was in the mid 150’s I think and an Elite that was 168 I think.    I started doing strapholds with the files grippers so I was under the range when the metal strap was added  

If I still trained seriously I think I’d experiment with setting every work rep as if it were a single.  

I only have a filed Vulcan atm so no filed grippers for me😅

I wish I had filed grippers tho :( 

Not sure how to even file em so I wont risk

it, progress is still going up atm so we’re still good👍🏼

I've been reading about quantum physics lately and apparently there is another me in a universe somewhere that is actually TNSing a 220 #4. So for now I'm having a bit of a de-load while I let my achievement sink in.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I only have a filed Vulcan atm so no filed grippers for me😅

I wish I had filed grippers tho :( 

Not sure how to even file em so I wont risk

it, progress is still going up atm so we’re still good👍🏼

I used a belt sander.  

I’ll be honest I had a pile of grippers, some I would never file and others I cut because I needed them to be cut.   Other than a select few that I deemed special, cert #3, gifts, etc, I viewed the rest as tools that if I needed to modify them I would if it would help me progress.  

I only cut mid range grippers for work as I didn’t see the need for lower end BTR work.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

I've been reading about quantum physics lately and apparently there is another me in a universe somewhere that is actually TNSing a 220 #4. So for now I'm having a bit of a de-load while I let my achievement sink in.

I hope there’s one of those “me” aswell😅

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I used a belt sander.  

I’ll be honest I had a pile of grippers, some I would never file and others I cut because I needed them to be cut.   Other than a select few that I deemed special, cert #3, gifts, etc, I viewed the rest as tools that if I needed to modify them I would if it would help me progress.  

I only cut mid range grippers for work as I didn’t see the need for lower end BTR work.   

Hm yeah I guess that makes sense, just need to get a sander.. progress is good but you never know😅