Do you have any strategy to improve you setting technique in grippers?

pancho_grip_lift

Hello guys, I was wondering if you do certain exercises (besides setting grippers directly) to practice and improving your setting technique, specially from grippers like #3 or 150lb+.

I'm aware that if you have an strong upper body or a lot of muscular development you could probably be a good setter, but I'm curious to know if you do "setting practice" exercises, like chest crushes, power twisters, or heavy settings without closing a gripper to improve this skill.

I personally just practice my setting technique while doing my daily workout, but nothing specific as I mentioned before.

I'd love to hear what do you guys think 😁

51 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Vulcan gripper. That's all you need really.

Interesting! Do you use it in your regular workout? If so, do you practice the set and close?

Strengthen your wrists like with levering. 

Push ups and Pull ups. 

Power sets with a heavy gripper. Use sparingly. You’re not trying to close at all, just set.

Use a carabiner to clip weight on the spring coil. The hanging weight makes the gripper top heavy like a Vulcan. This makes a gripper you can normally set harder to set. Allows you to work with lighter grippers. 

Also: https://cannonpowerworks.com/blogs/grip-strength/how-to-set-a-gripper

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Strengthen your wrists like with levering. 

Push ups and Pull ups. 

Power sets with a heavy gripper. Use sparingly. You’re not trying to close at all, just set.

Use a carabiner to clip weight on the spring coil. The hanging weight makes the gripper top heavy like a Vulcan. This makes a gripper you can normally set harder to set. Allows you to work with lighter grippers. 

Also: https://cannonpowerworks.com/blogs/grip-strength/how-to-set-a-gripper

Thank you @Cannon 😁

I just read your article and when you say " At the end of your workout, choose a challenging gripper and try to set it as deeply as possible. " Should I use a gripper near to my max or above my max? 

9 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you @Cannon 😁

I just read your article and when you say " At the end of your workout, choose a challenging gripper and try to set it as deeply as possible. " Should I use a gripper near to my max or above my max? 

It should just be difficult but possible to set. The whole point is to work on setting and transferring power through your wrist into the gripper. So it can be harder than you can close, but you need to be able to work with it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

It should just be difficult but possible to set. The whole point is to work on setting and transferring power through your wrist into the gripper. So it can be harder than you can close, but you need to be able to work with it. 

Sounds good, thanks again Matt!

15 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Interesting! Do you use it in your regular workout? If so, do you practice the set and close?

I did both. It doesn't really matter to be honest. If I use the vulcan gripper, setting TSG's feels like toys when I go back using them. I feel a difference only after working with the vulcan for a few sessions.

• Thanks 1

(EDIT: sorry, just realised you weren't after setting technique so my reply is wrong. But still some potentially useful mentions in there as they come from a worthy source)

My hands are pretty beat up at the moment due to having re-introduced sledgehammer work and grippers. But I'm looking forward to trying out some of the stuff Paul Knight advised when it comes to setting, namely:

- setting hand, use the largest knuckle, not the middle one (like I was doing)

- flare out the elbow of the setting hand for more chest power

- don't pinch with the setting hand, crush with chest

- on the closing hand, once the gripper is sitting right, reach right over with the thumb to tighten the pocket where the gripper sits

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 2