Distance Sports and Grip Strength

DrBartlebee

Does anyone here run or cycle long distance? For running I'm referring to ~half marathon range. I have a track/XC background and still do it sometimes (8 miles once every couple weeks or so, occasional 10K, half marathon event for fun). Just curious because it seems like a lot of folks here primarily lift/do strongman or combat sports.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, DrBartlebee said:

Does anyone here run or cycle long distance? For running I'm referring to ~half marathon range. I have a track/XC background and still do it sometimes (8 miles once every couple weeks or so, occasional 10K, half marathon event for fun). Just curious because it seems like a lot of folks here primarily lift/do strongman or combat sports.

I have done a half a marathon and full marathon in the past. I used to be in the military were we did a lot of running.

I weighed around 30 kg's less at that time. For grip I find it hard to combine. For me it's or, strenght or be good in running. 

From experience I notice that is has to do with my lenght, when I want to become stronger I weigh a lot more and running becomes pretty hard. But when I want to be good in running, I need to have a lot less mass wich has influence in my strenght.

• Like 2

Similar experience.  I was fit for the military in the 1990s and did a lot of running (albeit at an "airborne shuffle" pace).

Slacked off in early 2000s and put on weight.  Dropped like 50 pounds in 2005 training for my first half marathon that Sept.

Life happened in 2010s and as mileage dropped, my weight increased.  Got back to a gym in Sept 2017 and focused on strength training.

I definitely notice a difference between the "peak" points of each period in the photos below.  Leaner in 2005 - 2006 but stronger in 2020.

No real goal to go back to the half marathon life.  I'd be happy with pre-pandemic strong Doug.

Fit 2005-2006.png

Fit 2020.png

• Like 5

Does rowing count? I use my Concept 2,  3 times a week, but I don't go too hard for much longer than 35 minutes.

If I go all out it does affect the next day lifting. I'm sure getting stronger would be easier if didn't row but I do it for health reasons and its nice not getting out of breath easy.

• Like 1