Why do levering?

AdriaanRobert96

So I sat down and gave levering some thought..

I’ve been doing high rep levering, low rep levering, thick bar and thin bar levering..

My question that I asked myself and now pass on to you is, what are the real benefits of levering?

My experience with levering is that higher rep levering gave me way more benefits in terms of bloodflow which strengthened my elbows and overall hand and wrist structure.. basically helped with recovery but I also feel like the weighted stretch has helped me immensely with stiffness.

Other than that I can’t honestly say I felt any other benefits..

This post is not to bash levering since it obviously did me good, but more like get the experience of others and or better explanations on what it really helps with..

Simply put, feel free to educate me beyond my own experiences :D 

• Confused 1

I do levering to keep my wrist healthy and stable. The vast majority of grip training is primarily finger and/or wrist flexion, totally ignoring the other 5 movements of the wrist. If all 6 movements aren't regularly trained you'll have imbalances, instability, or at worst an injury. Levering is just the easiest practical way to do most of these, though I also use a lot of movements with a belt or band to get different force curves. 

• Like 2

Any time you neglect a muscle (or group of muscles in this case) it will eventually come back and bite you on the butt with an injury.  If you have a muscle - strengthen that muscle.  For example I found that prime mover strength only took me so far on the Euro - then I started learning how to use all the auxiliary muscles and added over 20# to my pinch.  Rotational levering is the secondary group of muscles used for two hand pinch.   People who only use prime movers will get beat every time by those who have taught themselves how to use both prime movers and all the other little things that can make a huge difference.  It is my two cents that a strong rotational wrist strength is worth its weight in gold in Grip Sport.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Rotational levering is the secondary group of muscles used for two hand pinch.   People who only use prime movers will get beat every time by those who have taught themselves how to use both prime movers and all the other little things that can make a huge difference.  It is my two cents that a strong rotational wrist strength is worth its weight in gold in Grip Sport.

I have no idea what this even means, which might mean that there is a way I could add 20# to my pinch lol ... are you saying that doing some wrist work with sledgehammers would help with, say, Saxon bar or Napalm pinch?

I'd be excited about that, because I don't really have a place to train Saxon Bar or Napalm pinch, but I do own a few sledgehammers - I keep a 6 in my office and an 8 and a 10 at home (nd could exchange if needed).  I fiddle with them when I feel like it, but maybe a more regular plan with them would do me some good.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I have no idea what this even means, which might mean that there is a way I could add 20# to my pinch lol ... are you saying that doing some wrist work with sledgehammers would help with, say, Saxon bar or Napalm pinch?

I'd be excited about that, because I don't really have a place to train Saxon Bar or Napalm pinch, but I do own a few sledgehammers - I keep a 6 in my office and an 8 and a 10 at home (nd could exchange if needed).  I fiddle with them when I feel like it, but maybe a more regular plan with them would do me some good.

Read my Grip Well.  Everyone who has come train Euro with me added at least "something" and it always had to do with rotational strength and how to use it.   One guy added over 40# in a couple hours - you might have heard of him - he holds the Euro WR last I knew - some guy named Kody :).  You will have to learn "how" to use that new found strength though.  I don't have a Napalm Pinch but my Saxon bar is still over BW if that counts (BW is 200#).  

• Like 3

I do levering for 2 reasons. 

1. injury prevention(by balancing out the musculature)

2. carryover to grip events mainly pinch as Chris has stated

My experience with it is similar to Chris in that it has helped specifically my 2H pinch alot. @Nuttgens can tell you whenever we train together I probably ramble on about wrist training non stop haha. Anyone ever notice when arm wrestlers show up to a grip meet they tend to do well? Adam, Chris and lots of the bending crowd have preached levering and plate curls for decades at this point. Btw there's another great exercise for you Adriaan. Plate curls have helped me out along with levering tremendously imo. I've learned thus far you really have to play with your technique on the grip implements though to incorporate them(wrists) efficiently. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why do levering? Its my favorite move.... Its just a great exercise to do for wrist strength.. Plain and simple.

Also the reactions i get out of people.  I can't wait until i'm levering 20lbs... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I do levering to keep my wrist healthy and stable. The vast majority of grip training is primarily finger and/or wrist flexion, totally ignoring the other 5 movements of the wrist. If all 6 movements aren't regularly trained you'll have imbalances, instability, or at worst an injury. Levering is just the easiest practical way to do most of these, though I also use a lot of movements with a belt or band to get different force curves. 

Well I have definitely realized after not doing wrist work for the past 3-4 months why my middle finger hurt on my left hand..

I’ve done it for 2 weeks now and I already feel less discomfort in it, I truly feel that the stretch with weight does something to the hand and forearm muscles😊

Balance as you said!

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

Any time you neglect a muscle (or group of muscles in this case) it will eventually come back and bite you on the butt with an injury.  If you have a muscle - strengthen that muscle.  For example I found that prime mover strength only took me so far on the Euro - then I started learning how to use all the auxiliary muscles and added over 20# to my pinch.  Rotational levering is the secondary group of muscles used for two hand pinch.   People who only use prime movers will get beat every time by those who have taught themselves how to use both prime movers and all the other little things that can make a huge difference.  It is my two cents that a strong rotational wrist strength is worth its weight in gold in Grip Sport.

I’ve always done wrist work for sets of 30 and that always kept me healthy, as soon as I quit wrist work for 3-4 months I got finger/ knucke pain from grippers..

Then I realized why wrist work is so important😅

Began doing it the last 2 weeks and I already feel less knuckle and finger pain on the left hand.

The weighted stretch does something good to my hand/ forearm muscles.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Not quite sure how that works and what kind of rep ranges should be done..

Probably not like I do 30 rep sets with the 6lbs..

It sure helps with recovery and injury prevention tho..

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Why do levering? Its my favorite move.... Its just a great exercise to do for wrist strength.. Plain and simple.

Also the reactions i get out of people.  I can't wait until i'm levering 20lbs... 

What are the rep ranges you go through?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I’ve always done wrist work for sets of 30 and that always kept me healthy, as soon as I quit wrist work for 3-4 months I got finger/ knucke pain from grippers..

Then I realized why wrist work is so important😅

Began doing it the last 2 weeks and I already feel less knuckle and finger pain on the left hand.

The weighted stretch does something good to my hand/ forearm muscles.

So what exactly do you do? Pronation, supination, radial deviation & ulnar deviation?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

What are the rep ranges you go through?

3 reps.     I started with a 14lbs sledge in July. 5 working sets say this week its 

3 sets @29" and 2 @28" and then following week 4 sets@ 29" and 1@28"....  Then its 5@ 29" following week 4 sets@29"  1 set @30"... You get what i mean. But now i'm doing 2h levers and will be using microgainzs plates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

So what exactly do you do? Pronation, supination, radial deviation & ulnar deviation?

Yes exactly, but the pronation and supination I do in one set and when I do the pronation I go as far as I can and allow for that weighted stretch :D 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

3 reps.     I started with a 14lbs sledge in July. 5 working sets say this week its 

3 sets @29" and 2 @28" and then following week 4 sets@ 29" and 1@28"....  Then its 5@ 29" following week 4 sets@29"  1 set @30"... You get what i mean. But now i'm doing 2h levers and will be using microgainzs plates.

Oh really?

As low as 3 reps huh, very interesting.. I might just give lower reps a try further down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh really?

As low as 3 reps huh, very interesting.. I might just give lower reps a try further down the road.

Yup. High reps are great and once I get to a point where I’m actually strong I’ll do some high rep training. If your trying to get stronger keep the reps low.

• Thanks 1

I have found using my "wrist thingy" works better than a sledge - resistance stays constant - allowing me to push a lot further and not be stopped at a "sticking point".  I get the most value from rotation type movements but do all directions.  I do mostly what I might call medium rep ranges (8 to 12) but also low reps (triples) very heavy at times.  

• Like 2

I just got a levertop from World Of Grip. I only used it once this morning but I can see this having tremendous carry over for sledge work. Especially doing static holds.

• Like 1

Titan fitness makes a landmine attachment that I use as a cheap substitute for the wrist thingy, just slide it on a barbell in a rack, tie a rope to it with a loading pin and you're all set. Also super simple if you even have the most basic of welding skills to slap together. Really good for getting a deep stretch since unlike a sledgehammer the torque doesn't vary with the angle. 

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/strength-accessories/landmines/1.9-in-single-handle-landmine-press/400475.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup. High reps are great and once I get to a point where I’m actually strong I’ll do some high rep training. If your trying to get stronger keep the reps low.

I will definitely give it a go after my 12 weeks volume phase😎

• Like 1