Snatching an inch dumbbell possible?

Stephen Ruby

I saw at the end of this video that brian shaw said if the Arnold was on the line he could have snatched the inch dumbbell. I'm curious though how many people have ever clean and pressed an inch dumbbell?(or just cleaned) 

He is the only person to do incline press reps with the inch that I'm aware of and I've seen him throw around 280lb combined weight in dumbbells for a snatch so if anyone could have done this feat brian shaw is top of my list of who it would be possible for. 

• Like 3

There’s a guy on here I know benched inch dumbbells I think it was even inclined I don’t remember. The video is on here somewhere not sure where. He may be able to snatch the inch or be close not sure. 

@PHATMUSCLE COACHING

• Like 3

Yes, not anymore but I believe Mark Henry could have done it in his prime with the right motivation, he's the only one with an elite grip and an elite Olympic weightlifting background to actually perform a snatch ideally. The vast majority of grip athletes couldn't even properly snatch an empty barbell due to poor mobility, which makes the feat much much harder. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Yes, not anymore but I believe Mark Henry could have done it in his prime with the right motivation, he's the only one with an elite grip and an elite Olympic weightlifting background to actually perform a snatch ideally. The vast majority of grip athletes couldn't even properly snatch an empty barbell due to poor mobility, which makes the feat much much harder. 

Yeah Mark Henry is one of the strongest men in history imo 

Mike burke had a pretty close attempt at a double clean and jerk of the inch. I think he could have got it with some more training. He could easily clean the inch with either hand. 

• Like 3

Very impressive 

• Like 1

I believe there are 2 front runners for snatching the Inch

Carl Myerscough and @SeNoLD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSH-xU8BgDgXngdjTANjvdKcc2GHg3Vt6sgeJw0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

David said he was thinking about pursuing it so that why I put him in here and Carl....well it's obvious. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

There’s a guy on here I know benched inch dumbbells I think it was even inclined I don’t remember. The video is on here somewhere not sure where. He may be able to snatch the inch or be close not sure. 

@PHATMUSCLE COACHING

7 reps with inch Dumbells 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2023 at 7:13 PM, stranger said:

I believe there are 2 front runners for snatching the Inch

Carl Myerscough and @SeNoLD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSH-xU8BgDgXngdjTANjvdKcc2GHg3Vt6sgeJw0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

David said he was thinking about pursuing it so that why I put him in here and Carl....well it's obvious. 

Wow awesome videos thank you for sharing them. I agree both of them have the overall body strength and grip to pull it off. 

Laine Snook had one of the easiest cleans of the inch I have seen also. I think in his prime he could have given it a run. I wonder who the lightest person is to clean the inch? I know Jedd Johnson has done this though not sure if he is lighter than David. 

• Like 3

It's definitely possible to snatch.

It hasn't been done yet but I think Laine Snook was fairly close to doing it at one point.

Snatching with non-revolving handles is not fun though. So it's understandable that nobody is really trying it.

2 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Wow awesome videos thank you for sharing them. I agree both of them have the overall body strength and grip to pull it off. 

Laine Snook had one of the easiest cleans of the inch I have seen also. I think in his prime he could have given it a run. I wonder who the lightest person is to clean the inch? I know Jedd Johnson has done this though not sure if he is lighter than David. 

Ben Helms cleaned the inch just last week at like 227 bodyweight making him the lightest to do it (passing Jedd).  It may also be the heaviest bell cleaned at 177lbs

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqnIppSAdtS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 8

Talk about confidence doing that in sandals also. He has some world class lifts in a short time period. What a grip phenom. 

I thought I would share one of the more impressive clean/press of the inch I saw of Ryan Green apparently he did 4 clean/press in a row after a strongman event. That is insane to imagine.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Talk about confidence doing that in sandals also. He has some world class lifts in a short time period. What a grip phenom. 

I thought I would share one of the more impressive clean/press of the inch I saw of Ryan Green apparently he did 4 clean/press in a row after a strongman event. That is insane to imagine.

Damn, not even a push press!

I'm surprised someone hasn't caught an Inch snatch on video yet.  I snatched 110lbs on my Inch loadable (that felt exactly like the Inch handle) years ago.  And obviously with the monsters out there in the world - I figure the snatch would be a done deal for at least a few of them.  At that time I was only able to one hand snatch 135lbs on a barbell.  Before my friend Chadzilla died in 2011, he high pulled (to the top of his head, height 5'11") 155lbs on that same Inch loadable on his first and only attempt when I cajoled him into trying it in my yard.  His shoulder flexibility was crap.  Otherwise I would've taught him a bit of technique and he would've snatched that weight and a lot more.  He was a very large dude, and quite farm strong.  But not a grip guy.  Which is why I think there are at least a few guys right now who could snatch the Inch.  It's also not something I think that most guys are interested in, or training for, to be honest.  So that has something to do with it probably.  

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 5:29 AM, stranger said:

Ben Helms cleaned the inch just last week at like 227 bodyweight making him the lightest to do it (passing Jedd).  It may also be the heaviest bell cleaned at 177lbs

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqnIppSAdtS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thats so impressive. I think its definitely possible.. Another impressive feat was Adam T Glasses TGU w/ 150lbs inch and his attempt with a full size inch. Those don't get talked about enough.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mashmonster268 said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't caught an Inch snatch on video yet.  I snatched 110lbs on my Inch loadable (that felt exactly like the Inch handle) years ago.  And obviously with the monsters out there in the world - I figure the snatch would be a done deal for at least a few of them.  At that time I was only able to one hand snatch 135lbs on a barbell.  Before my friend Chadzilla died in 2011, he high pulled (to the top of his head, height 5'11") 155lbs on that same Inch loadable on his first and only attempt when I cajoled him into trying it in my yard.  His shoulder flexibility was crap.  Otherwise I would've taught him a bit of technique and he would've snatched that weight and a lot more.  He was a very large dude, and quite farm strong.  But not a grip guy.  Which is why I think there are at least a few guys right now who could snatch the Inch.  It's also not something I think that most guys are interested in, or training for, to be honest.  So that has something to do with it probably.  

That's the main reason nobody has done it yet. The only one I know of who has actually trained seriously for this feat is Laine Snook. I believe he did 76 kg and according to him, trying to get those last 2 kg up to 78 was very difficult.

For sure a guy like Brian Shaw would be able to do it if it was an event in his competitions, just like he says in the video. 

I don't think anyone can do it without training for it though, no matter how strong you are. Sort of the same thing as with the #4 gripper in that sense.

• Like 2

Absolutely possible to snatch the Inch.  Some of us just need more time.

• Like 8

I expect some inch snatches in the future. Big Carl f. e., but also some smaller/lighter guys may be able to do it. If talent for thickbar, genetics and the WILL and determination necessary will meet in one person, we will see it!

• Like 4