Unusual Grip Exercises

AdriaanRobert96

So I thought it would be interesting to see a plethora of different and maybe even unconventional grip exercises..

It can be something you find unconventional, something you still do that works but of course even old school exercises dating years back!

Let’s see how many we can get😈

• Like 2

I've experimented with a tonne of unconventional exercises.

It's surprising what one can come up with if restricted to a large towel or stick, or other odd object. You can work them to cover pretty much all functions of the hand.

What I've come to learn though, is that this work should be restricted to "filling in gaps." The bigger lifts/squeezes that are measurable or have a defined goal should form the bulk of your workout, such as rolling handle, grippers, plate pinching, axle, saxon bar etc.

Unconventional work isn't restricted to being filler work though. Heavy Bulgarian bag spins have formed a part of my workout, and so have pull-ups with thick rolling handles. Now, I'm experimenting with sandbag lifts with one hand.

Such exercises with either a defined goal and/or something measurable about them push the grip further than it would normally be inclined, if say one were to be fiddling around with a stick trying to get a pump. When I say "defined goal," I mean, you want to close a gripper, and if you can close it, you want to close it for an increasing number of repetitions, or move to the next gripper. You are motivated to hit those milestones and therefore push yourself harder than if the goal was to "feel it" or go to perceived failure.

The filler work, whether it be unconventional or more conventional such as the use of a rice bucket or finger extensor bands, does definitely have its place as part of a complete grip routine, because it offers opportunities to work the hand and forearm at odd angles, and provides balance or even endurance. But if it forms too much of a workout, it wouldn't be optimal.

Edited by Gripperer
Realised I was waffling on about crap
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gripperer said:

I've experimented with a tonne of unconventional exercises.

It's surprising what one can come up with if restricted to a large towel or stick, or other odd object. You can work them to cover pretty much all functions of the hand.

What I've come to learn though, is that this work should be restricted to "filling in gaps." The bigger lifts/squeezes that are measurable or have a defined goal should form the bulk of your workout, such as rolling handle, grippers, plate pinching, axle, saxon bar etc.

Unconventional work isn't restricted to being filler work though. Heavy Bulgarian bag spins have formed a part of my workout, and so have pull-ups with thick rolling handles. Now, I'm experimenting with sandbag lifts with one hand.

Such exercises with either a defined goal and/or something measurable about them push the grip further than it would normally be inclined, if say one were to be fiddling around with a stick trying to get a pump. When I say "defined goal," I mean, you want to close a gripper, and if you can close it, you want to close it for an increasing number of repetitions, or move to the next gripper. You are motivated to hit those milestones and therefore push yourself harder than if the goal was to "feel it" or go to perceived failure.

The filler work, whether it be unconventional or more conventional such as the use of a rice bucket or finger extensor bands, does definitely have its place as part of a complete grip routine, because it offers opportunities to work the hand and forearm at odd angles, and provides balance or even endurance. But if it forms too much of a workout, it wouldn't be optimal.

Haha, wow man you really went on

with this and I loved it😂

I exactly the same as you in these things!

Oh btw I love the Fat Gripz Extreme Pull Ups!

Managed to do sets of 12 reps at 230lbs bodyweight ;)

I remember when there was a time I couldn’t even do 12 with bodyweight alone..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

That's really good, stronger than me. I go for sets of 10 at 185lbs. Does yours have a rolling effect? Mine does because it's a loose fit on the bar it's attached to. I go for a thumbless grip, mega wrist flexion involved.

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So I thought it would be interesting to see a plethora of different and maybe even unconventional grip exercises..

It can be something you find unconventional, something you still do that works but of course even old school exercises dating years back!

Let’s see how many we can get😈

Since December of 2019, I've switched my default push ups to fingertip push-ups. I don't do regular push-ups too often, but when I do, I do them on my fingers. I'd say it helps to strengthen them and for recovery. I also use them after a taxing grip feat (for me) and to stretch my digits

• Like 1

Also, since my parents house at the time had low sealing in the basement, I did regular pull-ups on the Steel I beams that held up the house. I was only about a junior in high school at the time I started.

6x6-ibeam-cropped-600x556.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Thats pretty impressive.

Stacking bricks and lifting them is pretty good.  Works wrist and thumb. I was rowing a lally column at work we took out.  Good for open hand. Lifting concrete blocks, stones, all sorts of thing. You don't need much to train grip, but grip is also very specific so if you want to compete you must train on whats being used in comps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gripperer said:

That's really good, stronger than me. I go for sets of 10 at 185lbs. Does yours have a rolling effect? Mine does because it's a loose fit on the bar it's attached to. I go for a thumbless grip, mega wrist flexion involved.

Thank you, and nope mine doesn’t roll unfortunately :( So yours are harder then😅

I use the thumb, but grip from beneath to make it harder.. makes my forearms sore for days😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABZSTS said:

Since December of 2019, I've switched my default push ups to fingertip push-ups. I don't do regular push-ups too often, but when I do, I do them on my fingers. I'd say it helps to strengthen them and for recovery. I also use them after a taxing grip feat (for me) and to stretch my digits

Was always curious about finger push ups but I have always been a little scared I’d snap my damn fingers😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABZSTS said:

Also, since my parents house at the time had low sealing in the basement, I did regular pull-ups on the Steel I beams that held up the house. I was only about a junior in high school at the time I started.

6x6-ibeam-cropped-600x556.jpg

Oh man I love these beams, loved to do pull ups on these at school :) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats pretty impressive.

Stacking bricks and lifting them is pretty good.  Works wrist and thumb. I was rowing a lally column at work we took out.  Good for open hand. Lifting concrete blocks, stones, all sorts of thing. You don't need much to train grip, but grip is also very specific so if you want to compete you must train on whats being used in comps.

Thank you :) Used to do brick lifts when I helped a family member with house construction, stacking them as you say is both fun and hard af..

Also very true, got to do comp specific if you wanna compete.

37 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Was always curious about finger push ups but I have always been a little scared I’d snap my damn fingers

You'll be fine unless you really weigh a lot. I rate it

• Thanks 1

Most of the original ideas I had over the years I made into equipment that is often now considered common and made by different people/companies.  Tips Tester - Climber Curl - Climber Pinch (different widths - 1" - 2" - 2.5" - 3" - 4"), Napalms Nightmare (yes I invented the first one from Jedd's idea) - the shot Loadable Blob, I had PDA (now out of business) make up the first one - The Tombstone pinch (made from 2 homemade David Horne "tombstones" with a homemade DH Gripper using rubber bands for resistance - The Wrist Thingy - Supported Sledge Lever Event - The Original Gracie Bell (146# Inch Replica - one of the first "baby" inches) - maybe the first to popularize "finger curls" for grip training - first to offer parallel choked grippers as an event in a contest - first to have an Ivanko Supper Gripper event - one of the first to have huge Medley's in a contest) - first to offer a Campus Board  and a pinch block chin up in a Medley - first Wrist Roller Dead Lift in a Medley - and no doubt some things I can't remember right now.  

Edited by climber511
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, climber511 said:

Most of the original ideas I had over the years I made into equipment that is often now considered common and made by different people/companies.  Tips Tester - Climber Curl - Climber Pinch (different widths - 1" - 2" - 2.5" - 3" - 4"), Napalms Nightmare (yes I invented the first one from Jedd's idea) - the shot Loadable Blob, I had PDA (now out of business) make up the first one - The Tombstone pinch (made from 2 homemade David Horne "tombstones" with a homemade DH Gripper using rubber bands for resistance - The Wrist Thingy - Supported Sledge Lever Event - The Original Gracie Bell (146# Inch Replica - one of the first "baby" inches) - maybe the first to popularize "finger curls" for grip training - first to offer parallel choked grippers as an event in a contest - first to have an Ivanko Supper Gripper event - one of the first to have huge Medley's in a contest) - first to offer a Campus Board  and a pinch block chin up in a Medley - first Wrist Roller Dead Lift in a Medley - and no doubt some things I can't remember right now.  

Oh wow man, ask me now if I wish we were friends😂

Tons of fun equipment, not only that but also how you managed to make all of em😎

You should read John Brookfield books. His books are filled with unusual things

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dean_redzic said:

You should read John Brookfield books. His books are filled with unusual things

Might have already done that, any specific one?

• 9 months later...

I made a stacker 11 inches long and 2 inches thick and the strongest I have lifted is 22 pounds I will cut it to 9 inches instead of 8 traditionally the goal is to make 30-33 pounds minimum according to my easy leverage calculation. It is very long and you cannot lift much. if a man is 30 and above with this lever he has exceptional wrist forearm strength

• Like 2