Can YOU split an apple?

AdriaanRobert96

Just a little fun post here to see how many of you here can split an apple with your bare hands?

Of course make sure to let us know what kind of apple (red, yellow, green) since that makes a difference of course and if you want let us know how?

Splitting an apple can be done in many ways, using the thumb, friction, piercing with fingers.. etc etc..

Jesus, I just made this sound like a super serious event now didn’t I🤦🏻?

The hardest one I managed to split by friction + thumb was a sour green apple, that took me 7 total attempts and a deload of 2 months when I was done😮💨😂

Craziest thumb strength I’ve seen is splitting a green sour apple by using the “double thumb” technique which requires mad thumb and somewhat pinch grip…

(this is someone I know..)

• Like 1

I used to split apples all the time when I was like 14-15, not sure what technique I used though 😅

• Like 1

I don't think an apple is really much of a challenge 

A potato on the other hand is pretty tough 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Depends on what type of apple it is.

But yes, a raw potato will of course be harder, assuming it's fresh and not old.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Depends on what type of apple it is.

But yes, a raw potato will of course be harder, assuming it's fresh and not old.

What types of apples are harder? I guess I have only seen easy apples but I have seen plenty of people split a apple with no grip training. Where I don't think I have ever seen someone split a potato who wasn't at a coc 3.5+ range. The videos I have seen are Heslep/Gabriel Sum/Cancrusher all had grip strength at a coc 4. 

Now I know potatoes can range also I have yet to do this feat and the ones I have tried felt impossible even when I was at a coc 3.5 level. 

I am curious if anyone has done a sweet potato as those might be even harder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Ruby said:

What types of apples are harder? I guess I have only seen easy apples but I have seen plenty of people split a apple with no grip training. Where I don't think I have ever seen someone split a potato who wasn't at a coc 3.5+ range. The videos I have seen are Heslep/Gabriel Sum/Cancrusher all had grip strength at a coc 4. 

Now I know potatoes can range also I have yet to do this feat and the ones I have tried felt impossible even when I was at a coc 3.5 level. 

I am curious if anyone has done a sweet potato as those might be even harder. 

Not an expert on apple names but where I live we have a few different ones and I'm sure there are like hundreds of different types that I have never even seen.

It's easy to feel which ones are the hardest, also the size of them will of course also be a factor.

Asking if someone can split an apple with his fingers or thumb is sort of like asking if someone can close a gripper.

There are apples in all ranges of difficulty and ripeness and size also plays a big role.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I would say splitting a green sour apple with this double thumb method would be fairly challenging and most wouldnt manage..

03D58318-7E79-42E2-ABC4-AA8EB551FB27.thumb.jpeg.a3581fc67b7821275ec8cf6cddec14c1.jpeg

Atleast in my opinion, but then again.. my thumbs are not up to par to be fair.

7 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

When I go to the grocer, I say:

"I'll have six easies, four mediums and two hard ones." 

They know me down there. 

Building up to that top set huh?😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Asking if someone can split an apple with his fingers or thumb is sort of like asking if someone can close a gripper.

Yeah, that's about the best way to put it.  And there is no way to really standardize apple splits, so it is really just going to remain a party trick.

• Like 2

It's not really that hard to do it with your fingertips. For a normal sized hand and apple that's really the only way to do it. Unless you're Marcus Felix I don't think anyone else is capable of turning one into applesauce, by having that much surface area to input pressure with. The temperature and probably apple type as well as age of the apple probably matters a lot too. It's more of a party trick I'm sure anyone could do if they just tried.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, that's about the best way to put it.  And there is no way to really standardize apple splits, so it is really just going to remain a party trick.

I am going to agree to disagree😂

Piercing to break one apart is easy peasy.  Anyone can do it.  Mark Felix crush style is a whole different animal, though.

1+ @C8Myotome

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Piercing to break one apart is easy peasy.  Anyone can do it.  Mark Felix crush style is a whole different animal, though.

1+ @C8Myotome

Yeah those are definitely a whole different animal😈 

Mark Felix is insane!

I've always been intrigued by the apple crushing feat (the Mark Felix way not digging your fingers in). Seeing Danny Hodge crushing an apple on TV when I was a kid actually got me into grip! Other notable examples are Bob Sapp and Mark Henry. It's really hard to generate enough force with your open hand so it turns into kind of a wide pinch. One of my long term goals.

• Like 2

We should make apple crushing trainers. Each level gets more firm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DrBartlebee said:

I've always been intrigued by the apple crushing feat (the Mark Felix way not digging your fingers in). Seeing Danny Hodge crushing an apple on TV when I was a kid actually got me into grip! Other notable examples are Bob Sapp and Mark Henry. It's really hard to generate enough force with your open hand so it turns into kind of a wide pinch. One of my long term goals.

Yeah that indeed is insane😎

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

We should make apple crushing trainers. Each level gets more firm.

Business idea😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Business idea😂

I honestly dont think its a bad idea. Picture an ironmind egg.... Just apple shaped and different levels of firmness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've split a couple of apples, Some with the 2 hand twist method, Some digging fingers in, Even did it how Nathan did it just with palm and flat fingers, Think i have a video of that somewhere

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I honestly dont think its a bad idea. Picture an ironmind egg.... Just apple shaped and different levels of firmness.

Let me know if you going in on this😂50/50, we can also host apple crushing events handing out gold, silver and bronze apples to the people competing😈

44 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I've split a couple of apples, Some with the 2 hand twist method, Some digging fingers in, Even did it how Nathan did it just with palm and flat fingers, Think i have a video of that somewhere

You better bring up that video fam, flat fingers is mad strong😎